Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something is overriding the scheduled charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, been with my SR+ now since end of Sept. Past 2 weeks only I have had this minor issue:

Charging is set to occur at 12:30am to tie in with my Octopus Go cheap rate.

I leave the car, plug in, and I can see the displays showing 'charging scheduled for 12:30am.

I walk away to the house, the car locks, and by the time I am in the house the car has started charging anyway.

I then cancel the charge via the app, which then reverts things to a 12:30am start. Everything then is fine until the next day's charging!

I'm on 2019.36.2.1 and wondering if anyone else has the same issues?

My guess... depending on when you are plugging in, it thinks "Hey, it's after 12:30am!" and starts charging. Tesla doesn't seem to be that smart with the charging and schedules and whatnot.

Try setting it for 11:45p for one day and see if that works.

I've noticed that when I set a scheduled charge (which I do infrequently, so I don't have a lot of data), the car begins charging immediately, but stops within a minute or so, and then begins charging at the set time. You might want to wait a bit (five minutes should be more than enough) to see if your car is doing the same as mine.

I've noticed that when I set a scheduled charge (which I do infrequently, so I don't have a lot of data), the car begins charging immediately, but stops within a minute or so, and then begins charging at the set time. You might want to wait a bit (five minutes should be more than enough) to see if your car is doing the same as mine.
Same here, this is recent behaviour. I don't think it's charging, but just providing shore power to the car's HVAC which remains on for a few minutes or so after getting out. A bit annoying to have the wall connector kick on for a minute and to be paying for juice at non-off peak rates.

Same here, this is recent behaviour. I don't think it's charging, but just providing shore power to the car's HVAC which remains on for a few minutes or so after getting out. A bit annoying to have the wall connector kick on for a minute and to be paying for juice at non-off peak rates.

That's plausible. If true, then it should be avoidable by manually turning off the climate control before plugging in. Of course, then it'll be off when you next get into the car, so you'd need to turn it on again (in the car or via the app). Whether it's worth the minor hassle to save a small amount of power is a personal judgment call, of course.

That's plausible. If true, then it should be avoidable by manually turning off the climate control before plugging in. Of course, then it'll be off when you next get into the car, so you'd need to turn it on again (in the car or via the app). Whether it's worth the minor hassle to save a small amount of power is a personal judgment call, of course.
When this is happening the car is using about 2A, which is about 500W, and it’s only for about a minute or two. So this about the equivalent of warming a cup of coffee in the microwave.

We're just talking about the minute after exiting the vehicle and you have already stated that the power use is minuscule, so why did Tesla modify the software in this most recent release to do this? Never used to do it.

No idea, but we do know that tesla changed the HVAC algorithms to run the HVAC longer to dry out the cabin air filters, to help prevent moisture there that was leading to the development of some mold (and the nasty smell some get in the air conditioner).

It might be doing some form of battery calculation to determine when it needs to start charging in order to reach the desired state of charge at the set departure time.
I noticed mine doing this yesterday. I plugged in yesterday evening with about 49% and set it to 86% with a 6:15 am departure.
It looked like it was charging for a minute or 2 and then shut off - and properly started charging around 3 am (more or less).

It might be doing some form of battery calculation to determine when it needs to start charging in order to reach the desired state of charge at the set departure time.
I noticed mine doing this yesterday. I plugged in yesterday evening with about 49% and set it to 86% with a 6:15 am departure.
It looked like it was charging for a minute or 2 and then shut off - and properly started charging around 3 am (more or less).
I wasn't using 'scheduled departure' so I don't think that's it.