Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something Is Rolling Around Between My Battery And Floor Pan!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a weird issue. Something is rolling around on top of my battery tray. When I corner hard you can hear it roll from one side to another. It settles on one side for a while and rattles around. When I corner hard the other way it rolls back.

At first, I thought it was a nut or something that had fallen off the car. The funny thing is that I had a bag of nuts spill in the front passenger footwell. One went missing. I initially dismissed the possibility it had somehow fallen on top of the battery but it kept bothering me.

Today I took an endoscope and poked around under the passenger seat. There is an opening under the passenger seat in the middle beside the console. I was able to push the camera into it and snake it around. I saw wiring harnesses and the bottom of the bolts holding the console on I think. Now I am fairly certain that missing nut now lives between my floor pan and battery. A weird spot for a hole. I can see coins and other things finding their way into the void. The nut was fairly sizable.

Does anybody know how it might be removed? I do have an appointment with Tesla coming up. Do you think they will need to drop the battery?

BTW, I am loving the car. I look forward to driving it every day. It is ' the most fun thing you could possibly ever buy'

One suggestion; check the HVAC air vent under the seat. Move each front seat all the way forward and you’ll see it. I had a coin stuck in mine and it was exactly that behavior.

Use that endoscope but if you stick your hand into that hvac vent, at the rearmost part of it, there’s what I’d call a “pocket” - that’s where the dime was trapped.

Best of luck!!!

• Informative
Reactions: sootless
at the rearmost part of it, there’s what I’d call a “pocket”

Thanks! It has been found! It was exactly where you said it would be. It would have taken me years to find it without you. So it wasn't actually between the battery and the floor pan. It was between the carpet and the floor pan. The interesting thing is that there is enough clearance from side to side for the object to move from one side to the other without obstruction. The bolt (not nut) was sizable too. It would need to travel under the seat rails to make it from one side to another. There is a pretty big channel there.

I did watch a video where they removed the battery. There are no apparent holes between the floor pan and the battery. I must have had the endoscope between the console and the floor pan. There is a big void there.

Thanks again.....rattle and noises be gone. I have been living with them for a couple of months.

Thanks! It has been found! It was exactly where you said it would be. It would have taken me years to find it without you. So it wasn't actually between the battery and the floor pan. It was between the carpet and the floor pan. The interesting thing is that there is enough clearance from side to side for the object to move from one side to the other without obstruction. The bolt (not nut) was sizable too. It would need to travel under the seat rails to make it from one side to another. There is a pretty big channel there.

I did watch a video where they removed the battery. There are no apparent holes between the floor pan and the battery. I must have had the endoscope between the console and the floor pan. There is a big void there.

Thanks again.....rattle and noises be gone. I have been living with them for a couple of months.

That’s fabulous news!! So glad you found it - it’s quick once you know where to look. This is the kind of detail we should add to the “Model 3 quirks you never thought you’d need to know” list.

Enjoy the peace and quiet!

This thread saved me. I had the same issue for the last 3 month. I removed undertrays, checked under the car with no luck. Was making me mad. Checked this channel below the seat. found one peanut M&MS, then another one that I managed to trap by putting a blockage in the middle of the channel... Question is why the heck leave this channel open under the seats ? Super annoying.