Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something rolling around

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have got something rolling around in my Y, sounds as if there is a bolt or something thats come loose as when I make a 90deg turn I can hear it basically roll from one side of the car to the other.

Wondering if anyone had any idea where it
might be, or had a similar problem?

Sort of puzzled as to what sort of void would span the whole car. Its in the back, could it be the bumper? Or something around the battery pack. Its booked but they want to look at it first and thinking its going to need some disassembly to get at it and reconnect what is loose to what it is supposed to be attached to!

Thanks for any thoughts!

Actually have the exact same thing in my M3P. Roundabouts are fun. When it first started it sounded like it was under the rear seat but it seems to have moved forwards recently. Like you I was trying to figure out where it could possibly be able to roll the width of the car

Are you going to raise a service request for it?

Actually have the exact same thing in my M3P. Roundabouts are fun. When it first started it sounded like it was under the rear seat but it seems to have moved forwards recently. Like you I was trying to figure out where it could possibly be able to roll the width of the car

Are you going to raise a service request for it?
Yes, i have it booked in next week. I thought if must have been previously attached to something it was designed to be attached to.

Will post once they’ve had a look.

There's an open vent under the rear seat (some sites say front, and it's too dark and cold at the moment for me to look), goes into an area the width of the car. Someone probably dropped a pen down there. You can get covers on ebay to make it less of an inviting hole for stuff.

Reactions: Adopado
You definitely want the vent covers if you have kids. I bought them even though I don't, because I was paranoid about exactly this happening.

A word to the wise - be very careful when you fit the covers. Unless anything has changed the process for moving the seat far enough forwards for you to get good access to the vent hole can mean the headrest touches and crushes the sunvisor, cracking the mirror. Ask me how I know :(

Perfect thank you, I assume they fit well?
They fit fine on our Y that we collected at the end of June. Do heed the advice of @Durzel about moving the front seats forward. He may have saved me from a similar mishap a few years back when we put these in our Model 3.

I just noticed you have an MYP on order. I am not aware of any changes to the vent holes under the front seats in the P version (and our Model 3 is a P from 2019 and the vents are seemingly the same as on our 2022 Model Y) but I do not know.

Reactions: daveface
There is a small channel that runs across the car under the front seats. You can access this by moving the front seats all the way forward and lifting up a bit of carpet. Easy enough for things to end up in there and roll from side to side. Took me a while to locate the polo the wonderful wife dropped in there!

You definitely want the vent covers if you have kids. I bought them even though I don't, because I was paranoid about exactly this happening.

A word to the wise - be very careful when you fit the covers. Unless anything has changed the process for moving the seat far enough forwards for you to get good access to the vent hole can mean the headrest touches and crushes the sunvisor, cracking the mirror. Ask me how I know :(
I also really liked them

I have got something rolling around in my Y, sounds as if there is a bolt or something thats come loose as when I make a 90deg turn I can hear it basically roll from one side of the car to the other.

Wondering if anyone had any idea where it
might be, or had a similar problem?

Sort of puzzled as to what sort of void would span the whole car. Its in the back, could it be the bumper? Or something around the battery pack. Its booked but they want to look at it first and thinking its going to need some disassembly to get at it and reconnect what is loose to what it is supposed to be attached to!

Thanks for any thoughts!
Were you able to find any objects in the vent? I have this rolling sound, but it seems to be travelling a good distance from one side of the vehicle to the other

Were you able to find any objects in the vent? I have this rolling sound, but it seems to be travelling a good distance from one side of the vehicle to the other
It is going in on Wednesday so they can look st it, it sounds a bit heavier than something kids might drop so I am assuming its something else at the moment. Will report back what they find. I have a suspension issue I also want them to take a look at too, car is slowly being shaken to bits, which sort of ties into the bit flying around somewhere. Car is always tidy so very unlikely to have something big enough to make the sound dropped, although I am frequently wrong about these things.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Ok short answer, there was a large stone that had got into the vent and from there is ended up somewhere in the floor space rolling around

So the vents are not part if a sealed system it seems. They could not really explain (clearly) how a stone gets from vent to under the floor, nor how to stop it happening again. It is also not a warranty thing, nor a design fault and they do not recommend covering vents.

They charged me £99 to get it out.

Have ordered vent covers!

Reactions: Adopado
Ok short answer, there was a large stone that had got into the vent and from there is ended up somewhere in the floor space rolling around

So the vents are not part if a sealed system it seems. They could not really explain (clearly) how a stone gets from vent to under the floor, nor how to stop it happening again. It is also not a warranty thing, nor a design fault and they do not recommend covering vents.

They charged me £99 to get it out.

Have ordered vent covers!
I'm glad it wasn't something more serious, but still, that's one expensive rock :( I'm guessing I have something similar rolling around in my MY too, then. Can I ask where you ordered your vent covers?

When i installed my power trunk kit I found a spare bolt (The type that secures the bumper into place under the rear light cluster) and two spare nuts - that secure the rear light clusters inside the boot. Obviously left by Tesla when assembling the car - dropped nuts and bolt and just fitted a new one as couldn't be bothered to find them.
The bolt and two nuts were under the carpet/insulation trim below the rear light cluster on the left-hand side - so underneath the cubby hole you can store stuff in (Its just a steel enclosed space - though you can see the ground below as it isn't sealed but the gaps were too small for the bolt and nuts to fall through).