Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something rolling around

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When i installed my power trunk kit I found a spare bolt (The type that secures the bumper into place under the rear light cluster) and two spare nuts - that secure the rear light clusters inside the boot. Obviously left by Tesla when assembling the car - dropped nuts and bolt and just fitted a new one as couldn't be bothered to find them.
The bolt and two nuts were under the carpet/insulation trim below the rear light cluster on the left-hand side - so underneath the cubby hole you can store stuff in (Its just a steel enclosed space - though you can see the ground below as it isn't sealed but the gaps were too small for the bolt and nuts to fall through).
This is what frustrates me as it could be something like that or something more serious, or just an annoying stone. So you can’t just say I’ll play the probabilities game and live with it. And frankly it is a design fault if an object can easily find its way into an unaccessible void that a ten quid cover solves.

They said they’d had a handful of other cars in with same issue and by the replies here there are lots more driving around with something lost below. Be nice if they found a solution. Anyway, lesson learnt!

Reactions: Volleyballmom
This is what frustrates me as it could be something like that or something more serious, or just an annoying stone. So you can’t just say I’ll play the probabilities game and live with it. And frankly it is a design fault if an object can easily find its way into an unaccessible void that a ten quid cover solves.

They said they’d had a handful of other cars in with same issue and by the replies here there are lots more driving around with something lost below. Be nice if they found a solution. Anyway, lesson learnt!
It's certainly a "known issue". There was chat about it when I first joined this forum and a set of covers for the under seat vents was one of the first extras that I bought for the car (though it's easy for them to be inadvertently kicked out of position because mine don't clip particularly firmly into place). Anyone doing this in a Model 3 will want to move the front seats all the way forward to get better access underneath BUT take care ... if the seats are fairly upright the headrest can make contact with the sun visor when fully forward and there have been reports of the pressure cracking the mirror inside.

So... my issue was a small rock got into the vent opening. Had to drive 70 minutes to my nearest Tesla SC but the technician was able to blow it out of the vent with compressed air. Fortunately, he didn't charge me for this, but I figure it's just a matter of time before something else gets in there. Eventually, the SC guys won't be so generous with their time. Going to order the vent grille ASAP.

I think I also have a stone rolling around from left to right which is really annoying, especially at roundabouts!

I took the car to the service centre and they said that they reproduced the issue and re-affixed some loose wiring.

The problem still persists ... I think I need those covers too!

I think I also have a stone rolling around from left to right which is really annoying, especially at roundabouts!

I took the car to the service centre and they said that they reproduced the issue and re-affixed some loose wiring.

It's really annoying. Especially if you don't know if it's a stupid rock.... or an important component of the car that's come loose. I just ordered my vent covers online. I didn't spend hours researching the options, but I found some covers that secure in place with double-sided tape and others that clip into place (a little more expensive). I splurged on the clip-on vents because I feel tape wouldn't last with all the snow and humidity that gets into our Canadian cars. That said, reviewers for both models said the vents were made of flimsy plastic, so there's a chance the clips might break after a while, too. Hope it's worth the extra $$.

Reactions: Kenners
It's really annoying. Especially if you don't know if it's a stupid rock.... or an important component of the car that's come loose. I just ordered my vent covers online. I didn't spend hours researching the options, but I found some covers that secure in place with double-sided tape and others that clip into place (a little more expensive). I splurged on the clip-on vents because I feel tape wouldn't last with all the snow and humidity that gets into our Canadian cars. That said, reviewers for both models said the vents were made of flimsy plastic, so there's a chance the clips might break after a while, too. Hope it's worth the extra $$.
The passenger seat (uk) in the Model 3 has a sub-section of the loom wiring that passes over the top of the vent. If you ever have reason to move the seat all the way forward this wiring drags across the vent opening. This movement can catch on any vent grill that you have fixed in place … which causes it to come adrift. I found my vent grill lying unattached under the seat when I looked under there. Obviously you can just pull the seat back a little and clip it back in place. (I had been putting a little grease on the seat runners to prevent creaks. It’s well worth doing this whilst you’re under there!)

Reactions: Volleyballmom

FWIW, I got the vent covers and installed them. Took 5 minutes. They're pretty flimsy and I couldn't get one to snap into place quite as firmly as the other, but they are in place and so far under the driver's seat that no rear seat passenger should be able to kick them out of place. Hopefully they stay where they are and will keep rocks + god knows what else out of the vents. IMHO, a little pricey for 2 pieces of flimsy plastic, but if they save me a 3-hour return trip to my nearest SC every now and again, I'm happy to pay.

Reactions: Kenners
Urghhh I seem to have a major case of exactly this!! I believe the culprit is likely some small nuts or seeds one of my kids collected at childcare and deposited on the floor. Smoking gun or two left on the rear carpet. So I have multiple items rolling what sounds like right to left and back again when steering.

I've read the above and it's probably these things gone in this under seat vent I guess. Anyone had any DIY experience removing stuff from there? I mean I could try take it to tesla but dont want to be charged a fortune if it's simple. I have visions of removing the front seats and carpet, which I'm not too adverse to doing myself if need be, but from the above if Tesla has done it for £99 or free, it can't be that involved.

Someone above mentioned using compressed air to blow stuff out. I have that available but not sure where to poke it! I guess I need a good look under the seats, but any experience appreciated. :)

Reactions: Astrape
Urghhh I seem to have a major case of exactly this!! I believe the culprit is likely some small nuts or seeds one of my kids collected at childcare and deposited on the floor. Smoking gun or two left on the rear carpet. So I have multiple items rolling what sounds like right to left and back again when steering.

I've read the above and it's probably these things gone in this under seat vent I guess. Anyone had any DIY experience removing stuff from there? I mean I could try take it to tesla but dont want to be charged a fortune if it's simple. I have visions of removing the front seats and carpet, which I'm not too adverse to doing myself if need be, but from the above if Tesla has done it for £99 or free, it can't be that involved.

Someone above mentioned using compressed air to blow stuff out. I have that available but not sure where to poke it! I guess I need a good look under the seats, but any experience appreciated. :)
I put a borescope into the under seat vents a while back, just out of intrigue.

I couldn't see any way to get beyond the vent housing, was trying to see if you could see the battery through the vent.

I don't know if you have one available but if not they're around £15-£20 to pick up and you can view the camera through a phone app. Some come with attachments like magnets, hooks. You could stick some blutac on the end of one of the attachments to stick to whatever may have fallen down there.

I don't think compressed air would work due to the volume of air you'd need to displace. The hole is roughly 8cm by 4cm and the depth was around 15cm (from memory).

Alternatively, turn the car upside down and give it a good shake.

Put the seats all the way forward and up then crawl into the back and lift up the carpet under the seats. There’s an easily accessible channel that runs the width of the car and is a likely recipient for dropped sweets, etc. I would like there, first.

Reactions: LiamPope
Put the seats all the way forward and up then crawl into the back and lift up the carpet under the seats. There’s an easily accessible channel that runs the width of the car and is a likely recipient for dropped sweets, etc. I would like there, first.

... but before moving the seats all the way forward/up be sure to lean the seat backs slightly backwards otherwise there is a real possibility that the headrests will press against the visors and in doing so break the mirror within (there were one or two reports of this happening in the past).

Reactions: LiamPope
I have had stones in my vents for around six months - to get to the vent properly if they have gone right in you need to remove a seat, centre console, and carpet.
Today I removed 2 stones from deep inside the vent in a couple of minutes- I didn't expect it to work, and not so quickly. I attached a shower hose to a hover and sealed it with masking tape. When i pushed it in there is slight resistance and then you can get it right in. It picked up a stone when it was in by about 800mm. You can tell straight away as the sucking sound changes! Two stones - 1 around 6mm diameter and the other more like 12-15mm.

Picture of my bodgery attached!

Attachments

• hoover.jpg
    hoover.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 125