TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Something wrong with my mph/rate of charge at supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by redi, Mar 14, 2015.

1. redi

redi 2013 P85+

I happened to visit the new 135kw Ardmore Ok supercharger today and arrived with a little less than 30% SOC.

During the visit I had 3 other cars (we were all on different superchargers (1,2,3)). Despite seeing 373V/155A at a peak I never saw a "mph" rate above 196mph, and it was often less even far short of the taper. I have noted in the past seeing a "mph" rate approaching as high as 290mph at other superchargers on my car.

Thinking I may have been on a weak charger, I swapped with one of the other guys (moving from 3 to 1) and still saw identical numbers charging my car.

The other guys at similar SOC were seeing 270-290mph. All were 85, one a year older than mine, one almost brand new.

Anyone have any idea why my effective charging speed (mph) has diminished in spite of what I observed others getting today under identical (time, temp, SOC, V&A) conditions?

Thanks

IMG_4968.PNG

2. markb1

markb1 Active Member

3. redi

redi 2013 P85+

Upon digging around, I found an old screen capture that showed significant higher amperage, which must explain the difference.

IMG_4126.jpg

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yup. See the other thread. Call the supercharger number and report maximum of 60 kW charging, then file a ticket with your service center saying you only received 60 kW when charging at a supercharger.

This assumes, by the way, that you're in a stall with no car in the other paired connection (e.g., you parked in 3A and there's not a car charging in 3B). If not, you were sharing current with another car that was charging.

5. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I got some decent charging rate in CT
    20 miles before getting home

Attached Files:

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is related to a specific Software revision? Perhaps it is temporary until the contactor which has been proactively replaced for some is complete for the fleet. Just a guess.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The contactors that are being replaced are the main pack contactors that tend to cause the dreaded "clunk", I don't think they're replacing the contactor that connects AC charger vs. DC battery.

8. redi

redi 2013 P85+

#8 redi, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Yes. Granted a brand new 135kW supercharger. I happened to have visibletesla on at home and it shows ramping right up to 196mph. After about 15 minutes at 50% I moved over to stall 1 and saw the same thing but then the rate almost immediately started ramping down. I was plugged in for over an hour.

3-15-2015 2-30-53 PM.jpg