Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sometimes it’s possessed! [auto wipers without rain / side camera blocked message]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today we decided to take a 50 mile jaunt to a small town out on the Olympic Peninsula. The sky was cloudy but there was no participation whatsoever. I engaged the cruise control and the windshield wipers came on. Again, there was no rain in sight. I tried to turn the wipers off it would not let me do that! It was not until I turned the cruise control off that I was able to switch the wipers off. Then I began to get notifications that my left side piller camera was not working. That message came and went a number of times and then I got warnings for the right side camera. This was at 11 am and Teresa was not in direct sun. So I drove the 50 miles to our destination and parked for about 10 minutes. After completing our task I returned to find our vehicle now functioning properly. There is an old Technician saying, things that fix themselves rarely stay fixed.

I am concerned about this since I know from past experience that all that is necessary to develop pure evil in one of today’s automobiles is to have a bad ground, electrical connection, bad coax or a loose module somewhere. The resulting electrical noise will raise pure hell with any microprocessor in said vehicle. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

Reactions: GeertAerts
Hi @RustedNut , The warnings about side filler cameras tend to be about their view being obstructed. This tends to be condensation especially if you live in an area which gets lots of morning dew and condensation on metals. If you are driving in the morning, 10-15 minutes before getting in to car open Tesla app and set interior cabin temperature to something nice and preheat the cabin. This will also turn on front and back defoggers. As a side effect is to clear up condensation where side pillars are located.

When activating autopilot, the automatic windshield wipers turn on by default. I guess this is to ensure the front camera has a good view. I forget if you can adjust the speed of riders when autopilot is active. You can try pushing the left seal button in. This will make the windshield wiper clean the front window and also bring up a windshield wiper gui. You can try to use a manually selected speed or perhaps turn it off.

It seemed a few firmware releases ago the auto wipers worked much better. Now they behave a bit odd. For example it was barely sprinkling here in Los Angeles a few days ago but the wipers in auto mode were operating at a fast speed. I suspect future software updates will correct the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: VegasMYP
I read that cleaning windshield by hand with good cleaner to remove any oil/grease or whatever helps the auto wipers behave better.

I get the side view camera warnings periodically.

Cruise control aside, my auto wipe selection indicates it is in beta mode currently on 23’ YP.

Reactions: BobCat
Hi @RustedNut , The warnings about side filler cameras tend to be about their view being obstructed. This tends to be condensation especially if you live in an area which gets lots of morning dew and condensation on metals. If you are driving in the morning, 10-15 minutes before getting in to car open Tesla app and set interior cabin temperature to something nice and preheat the cabin. This will also turn on front and back defoggers. As a side effect is to clear up condensation where side pillars are located.

When activating autopilot, the automatic windshield wipers turn on by default. I guess this is to ensure the front camera has a good view. I forget if you can adjust the speed of riders when autopilot is active. You can try pushing the left seal button in. This will make the windshield wiper clean the front window and also bring up a windshield wiper gui. You can try to use a manually selected speed or perhaps turn it off.

It seemed a few firmware releases ago the auto wipers worked much better. Now they behave a bit odd. For example it was barely sprinkling here in Los Angeles a few days ago but the wipers in auto mode were operating at a fast speed. I suspect future software updates

It seemed a few firmware releases ago the auto wipers worked much better. Now they behave a bit odd. For example it was barely sprinkling here in Los Angeles a few days ago but the wipers in auto mode were operating at a fast speed. I suspect future software updates will correct the issue.
How old is your car? I also get the same things to mine. Wipers turn on with no rain cruise/autopilot disengaging from side camera issues. I cleaned the areas in front of the camera with rain ex. That seemed to improve things a lot. I still have the issue now and then, but before it was every drive. My Tesla was filthy when I picked it up so it needed to be cleaned.

I read that cleaning windshield by hand with good cleaner to remove any oil/grease or whatever helps the auto wipers behave better.

I get the side view camera warnings periodically.

Cruise control aside, my auto wipe selection indicates it is in beta mode currently on 23’ YP.

I also get the side pillar camera warning a lot. Generally it's either because of heavy dew in the morning, or the sun at a low angle. Usually goes away fairly soon.

My wipers suddenly came on on a sunny day and wouldn't go off. I pulled off at a rest stop and found a big, fresh, bug splat right in front of the windshield cameras.

Auto wipers turn on only when the cameras detect something on the windshield ... directly in front of the cameras. The cameras don't see from the driver's position.

Last edited:
How old is your car? I also get the same things to mine. Wipers turn on with no rain cruise/autopilot disengaging from side camera issues. I cleaned the areas in front of the camera with rain ex. That seemed to improve things a lot. I still have the issue now and then, but before it was every drive. My Tesla was filthy when I picked it up so it needed to be cleaned.
1 year old. 2022 Model Y made 12/2021.

Thanks for the info. Have a great day!

Our car is a 2021. Thanks for the information, I will give it a try. We carry spray bottle of Rain X window cleaner in the car anyway.

I also have The same problem. My car has been doing this for several months and it is only 6 months old -model Y. Also have issues with message saying my cameras are blocked even when they are clean and nothing appears to be blocking them. Should I be making a service appointment? The service station is 1 1/2 hours away, so don’t want to waste my time if they can’t fix it. Appreciate any help on this!

I also have The same problem. My car has been doing this for several months and it is only 6 months old -model Y. Also have issues with message saying my cameras are blocked even when they are clean and nothing appears to be blocking them. Should I be making a service appointment? The service station is 1 1/2 hours away, so don’t want to waste my time if they can’t fix it. Appreciate any help on this!
The next time you get the "cameras are blocked" message, note the angle of the sun. Is it possible the camera is temporarily blinded by direct sunlight from the low winter angle of the sun? That's the only time I've gotten the message.

Reactions: CaseyL
When one of my car's cameras isn't working it says it is "occludded." Is anyone else seeing this word? I realize it basically means the same thing as "blocked." Just wondering why you all aren't using Tesla's word. Except for my own correspondance, I've rarely seen the word occludded used anywhere until I got my Tesla. I like using words that are hardly ever used. I think they often convey a more precise description or definition. Now, I've probably seen occludded more times in the last 10 months than my entire working career,
Appreciate the suggestios as to how to fix. I was going to call Service to see what they say.

railcarman: Please post a photo the next time "occludded" [sic] appears on your Tesla screen.

I seriously doubt Tesla engineers/designers would use two different words for the same issue.

I think your brain might be occluded. (the correct spelling!) 🤣

I get the side pillar camera obstructed message any time the sun comes out. It seems to be more frequent on the driver’s side versus the right. It hasn’t bothered me much…yet. But if it’s constant during the summer, I’ll open a service request.

My side camera message is mostly at night. I can clearly see the side of the road, but the camera cant? At first I thought my right pillar camera was bad. Service said no problem and "recalibrated". But I have noticed that if I am on the interstate with a large divide and no on coming traffic then the left pillar camera has the same issue. All that to say that I think the software doesnt like to be in the dark.....which is when i would like the autopilot the most to keep me centered :).

Last edited:
Happened to my car this weekend, 2023 MYLR

-Was on autosteer(standard) cruise at night...then suddenly got the message autopilot stopped will not start again(and I thought maybe I got lock out by not touching wheel)...so I tried again and only cruise will work but not autosteer....THEN while cruise w/out autosteer on, suddenly the wiper starts to come on and set as auto when there's no rain!! I tried to click on wiper and press off but it will not register!...Tried to who button press to reset software but still the same when it screen came back on. ONLY time when auto wiper turn off is when I cancel out cruise w/out autosteer.

This morning I tried cruise + autosteer and it works...with no auto wiper (as how it should be). VERY STRANGE

The auto wipers are trash.

You are calling it the same way I do. I still cannot believe we but 60k vehicles with such *sugar* technology and Tesla is said to be the most tech-advanced car ever. How about worst car ever in MANY respects, like the one you've stated. What is wrong with these teams of supposedly brilliant "engineers"? Can't they drive the dam car for 3 months before releasing this garbage tech to the customers? Does Elon force them to install *sugar* tech like that (everything camera based) instead of good old sensors that have worked for 15+ years on other cars? Is that company some sort of a dictatorships where they cannot say FU to the supreme leader or is the company full of stupid people? (for stuff like relying on dirty rear cameras to give us "future" backup sensor functionality which we already know WILL NOT Work when the damn camera plain cannot see anything [I live in a wintry climate and assure everyone the camera cannot see *sugar* after a 20 minute drive in winter]). I am currently in a spat with one of their senior customer reps and he says they have no idea how rear backup tech will alert you of near obstacles if the camera cannot see ("Tesla Vision")... seems like a total joke srsly - he basically tells me to "trust them" LOL, but cannot answer how dirty camera will be able to see anything).

Tesla service won't do anything. When I took mine to service for this same issue they stated "You know the cameras aren't military grade or anything like that. They are working as intended". As my original note, I noticed keeping all the cameras clean with a rainex type of product that lets water bead is best. I usually apply once a week and that has substantially reduced my error rate.

Tesla service won't do anything. When I took mine to service for this same issue they stated "You know the cameras aren't military grade or anything like that. They are working as intended". As my original note, I noticed keeping all the cameras clean with a rainex type of product that lets water bead is best. I usually apply once a week and that has substantially reduced my error rate.

That is exactly what i have been arguing about with three tesla reps, one calling himself a senior rep. I told them i am not driving 100km to the service center to troubleshoot a system that is NOT BROKEN, is just a Shhhit DESIGN which will NOT WORK (Deep Rain). I am asking for compensation in the form of SC miles etc and they are pushing back like crazy. It is insane. I said to him in the last email, how do I book a mobile service since I am not driving 100km in vain. Let them pay for that if they are so hell bent against giving me a few pennies in SC miles to compensate for flawed systems. My only question is as stated above: is it Elon's craziness that is causing the decisions or are their entire teams on board with relying on cameras alone.