Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, Beta FSD did try to kill me. Just going along clearly marked road, no oncoming traffic and suddenly it wanted to ram into the guard rail.
I don't know how I caught it in time. I try it every release until it does something stupid and it never lets me down.
LOL, that's a good one! I know this is off-topic, but I can't help but echo what happened to you. I had the exact same experience with FSD a few days ago, but it was a double left-turning lane at a traffic light. It tried to get into the left of the double lane, but it didn't curve with the yellow lane marker and just kept on. If I reacted a sec late it would've rammed into the guard rail for sure. The car was going around 30 mph and there was no car in the two left-turning lanes. It feels like the FSD just had a brain freeze.

The argument for adaptation is a red herring. Our brain uses neuron networks and they are highly adaptable. The fact that we adapt to change does not make the change positive.
Some things are very objective and easy to assess without long usability tests. For example, if we assume that safety is more important than aesthetics then the shorter the distraction the better the UI is. Hence, fewer clicks to operate a function (especially a safety related one), the better. The new interface increases the number of clicks to operate the defogger. Hence, it is a degradation in functionality.
I agree that fewer touches are generally better but I do like the climate controls being consolidated in one place with bigger buttons. Open one screen and make multiple climate adjustments. If we want a UI that has multiple single touch controls for defoggers, etc we can rest assured that there would be no consensus as to which controls would have their own spot on the main screen. That could be addressed by greater freedom for the driver to customize the screen (although that might create some other issues).

I don't think this applies to you but from some of the over-the top comments one would conclude that v11 just changed a Tesla from the safest car on the road to a death trap.

Reactions: Big Earl
Thanks for your comments. I do think that polls where a person chooses to participate are more suspect than random ones (but I'm no expert in polling). My only other comment relates to functions being easy to find/use (which is true). However I do question whether the ease of use should be judged after a few days (or few hours) of exposure to a new system. Ease of use is likely to improve over time (but perhaps not back to what owners experienced under v10 in all cases).

What I found somewhat annoying in reading comments was what I thought were the over the top negative reactions by a few people. Those would be the ones that talked about wishing they had never bought a Tesla, that one extra screen touch was totally unacceptable, etc.; after using V11 for a very short period of time. Reminded me of some of the reaction that seems to happen every time there is a Windows update. Over time people adapt and life goes on.
This thread is definitely a lot more civil than some of the others. Negative comments can easily echo and amplify. I see a lot of good arguments from either side here, and yours included. I don't have any data to back it up, but I feel the tesla community might have the highest average IQ of any car brand. Most comments are well-thought-out and research-based. Except some, of course. There are always those who exaggerate and those who feel entitled, but the majority are constructive even though they may sound a bit frustrated. It's an expectation thing.

I don't care much about the aesthetics of the new color scheme and icons. It gives me the 2000-ish Windows XP vibe. I like the monochromatic minimalist design of the old version. But that's subjective. But functionally, an improvement is always something that makes an important feature easier to access, not harder. An extra tap or click or swipe may not be the end of the world, but in most situations, it's also not an improvement, especially in the context of driving. I think the frustration comes from some obvious misses in this update, where we couldn't understand the decision process (UX-wise).

I agree that fewer touches are generally better but I do like the climate controls being consolidated in one place with bigger buttons. Open one screen and make multiple climate adjustments. If we want a UI that has multiple single touch controls for defoggers, etc we can rest assured that there would be no consensus as to which controls would have their own spot on the main screen. That could be addressed by greater freedom for the driver to customize the screen (although that might create some other issues).
At least from what I read in other threads, the main beef people have with this change is not the consolidation, but the fact that the only way to turn on any other climate features you have to turn on climate first. That's annoying for many parts of the country or many times in a year where climate is not needed when you need seat heaters or defrosters. By having to turn on climate in order to get to what I need, say seat heater, I'll have to turn off climate afterward. Seater heater will also stay on when I drive the next day when I don't need it, and again, I'll have to turn on climate, turn off seat heater, and then turn off climate. In the old UI, two taps are needed; in the new, six.

At least from what I read in other threads, the main beef people have with this change is not the consolidation, but the fact that the only way to turn on any other climate features you have to turn on climate first. That's annoying for many parts of the country or many times in a year where climate is not needed when you need seat heaters or defrosters. By having to turn on climate in order to get to what I need, say seat heater, I'll have to turn off climate afterward. Seater heater will also stay on when I drive the next day when I don't need it, and again, I'll have to turn on climate, turn off seat heater, and then turn off climate. In the old UI, two taps are needed; in the new, six.
I may have missed the issues with Climate in reading comments. My default is to have climate running pretty much all the time; cooling in summer and heating in winter. I rarely turn it off; except occasionally when I'm parked and don't want to hear the fan running. Otherwise it is occasional temperature adjustments or using a defogger or seat heater. Even with the defogger or seat heaters, I'm not too worried about needing it instantly (as opposed to say needing to trigger the wipers immediately when a passing truck drenches the car with muddy water). In that case I certainly appreciate the button on the left hand stalk.

From safety perspective looking at the screen to tap 4 times to turn the defogger doubles the distance the car travels. At 70mph that could be quite a bit.
From usability perspective, Tesla targets a wide market - people who run HVAC all the time and people who rarely use it. Not accommodating for those shows lack of maturity. Or, rushing something beta/half-baked. Which could be OK if it is opt-in and has a fall-back. The issue is that it is 4 clicks + HVAC or bust. And there is no way back. And there is total silence in regards to many complaints from customers (aside from the cryptic Elon’s note).
I am very interested where this thing will go because it speaks a lot about the company itself and how it takes care of its customers, how handles mistakes, etc. Given the proliferation of options in the next 2-3 years, their actions will be factored into my decision what to do next. I had a number of Audis and I do not remember having such heated discussions on VWVortex about something they release - just a data point. (Having said that, Audi EV strategy sucks ATM).

So give me some examples of what actually works better for you and why. I see plenty of examples of people telling me what doesn't work better and why. Many of those things are legit. Burying functions a layer deeper doesn't seem to make much sense not sure how that's an improvement but I'll wait here please do tell.
I'll give you some quick ones:

-Wipers: One less step to choose the speed.
-A/C controls: Having the button closer to the driver makes selecting the temp and other controls within its window easier. The fan control slider is also easier for me to quickly select a speed. I live in S.FL so heated seats are the last thing I need on the UI, however, it's easy to get to. Defogger, something I rarely use, is also easy to get to and no need to be its own button. Plus, the defogger / defroster takes a while to take effect so I fail to see how an extra second to select it would matter. Also, in the really cold weather people face up north, as soon as they get in, wouldn't they turn on the heated seat function immediately, even before driving off? Same with the defroster if it's often needed? The app also has a defrost button.

-Dashcam app button: Being something that I use often and, on the fly while driving, it's nice to be able to place it in an easier to reach location.
-Blind spot cam: I think most would agree this is a plus although its positioning could be better.
-Dashcam status icon/button: Bigger and easier to select to save footage. The previous icon on the UI was small and needed a little more concentration to select. And I never liked the idea of honking the horn.
-Music is easier to navigate and the drop-down menu is an improvement.
-PRND status is now bold and easier to see.
-Speedo readout is little more in the line of sight with this update.

Last edited:
From safety perspective looking at the screen to tap 4 times to turn the defogger doubles the distance the car travels. At 70mph that could be quite a bit.
From usability perspective, Tesla targets a wide market - people who run HVAC all the time and people who rarely use it. Not accommodating for those shows lack of maturity. Or, rushing something beta/half-baked. Which could be OK if it is opt-in and has a fall-back. The issue is that it is 4 clicks + HVAC or bust. And there is no way back. And there is total silence in regards to many complaints from customers (aside from the cryptic Elon’s note).
I am very interested where this thing will go because it speaks a lot about the company itself and how it takes care of its customers, how handles mistakes, etc. Given the proliferation of options in the next 2-3 years, their actions will be factored into my decision what to do next. I had a number of Audis and I do not remember having such heated discussions on VWVortex about something they release - just a data point. (Having said that, Audi EV strategy sucks ATM).

The defogger can be turned on in two taps, three if you want hot on the windshield instead of cold.

-A/C controls: Having the button closer to the driver makes selecting the temp and other controls within its window easier. The fan control slider is also easier for me to quickly select a speed. I live in S.FL so heated seats are the last thing I need on the UI, however, it's easy to get to. Defogger, something I rarely use, is also easy to get to and no need to be its own button. Plus, the defogger / defroster takes a while to take effect so I fail to see how an extra second to select it would matter. Also, in the really cold weather people face up north, as soon as they get in, wouldn't they turn on the heated seat function immediately, even before driving off? Same with the defroster if it's often needed? The app also has a defrost button.

-Dashcam app button: Being something that I use often and, on the fly while driving, it's nice to be able to place it in an easier to reach location.
-Blind spot cam: I think most would agree this is a plus although its positioning could be better.
-Dashcam status icon/button: Bigger and easier to select to save footage. The previous icon on the UI was small and needed a little more concentration to select. And I never liked the idea of honking the horn to save footage.

To add to your list, here are some of the changes I appreciate:
  • Driving visualization is smaller
  • Map is larger
  • Reverse camera is larger
  • Map orientation button is no longer on the extreme right side of the screen, requiring less of a reach
  • Wiper controls can be left up if necessary, as opposed to the disappearing card from V10 that could not be left up
  • All controls are in one location as opposed to being scattered around the screen - more intuitive for new users
  • Much better use of space in the main settings menu - more controls
  • HomeLink control no longer blocks part of the rear view camera image
  • UI is more consistent between S/X and 3/Y
  • Colored app icons make it really easy to find what you’re looking for at a glance

To add to your list, here are some of the changes I appreciate:
  • Driving visualization is smaller
  • Map is larger
  • Reverse camera is larger
  • Map orientation button is no longer on the extreme right side of the screen, requiring less of a reach
  • Wiper controls can be left up if necessary, as opposed to the disappearing card from V10 that could not be left up
  • All controls are in one location as opposed to being scattered around the screen - more intuitive for new users
  • Much better use of space in the main settings menu - more controls
  • HomeLink control no longer blocks part of the rear view camera image
  • UI is more consistent between S/X and 3/Y
  • Colored app icons make it really easy to find what you’re looking for at a glance
How do you leave the wiper controls up??? That would be very useful.

Press the car menu. All of the controls, including wiper controls, stay up until you close the menu. It will, of course, cover up the map.
Shame, I was excited about that little bit of information until this point. You can therefore only do this when not navigating somewhere.

It would make more sense to me if the car visualization was covered up. Most of the information there you can see out the window anyway.

The number of owners who are not seeing improvement appear to outnumber those who do I might add.

Agreed. On TMC and other social networks (Reddit,...), there are many strong reactions. As others mentioned, and you might not agree (which is fine), people do use social media to express anger and it's amplified.
We are going a bit off topic, but this is studied and here are some links

TLDR: angry posts are more rewarded and encourages more angry posts.

What I would like to see from yourself or ?? since you took the time to parse my posts. Tell me what function that I actually have gained? What in this UI actually works better than it did before? I'm not talking about embellishment that's subjective yes the colors look nice but they don't make it work any better.

So give me some examples of what actually works better for you and why. I see plenty of examples of people telling me what doesn't work better and why. Many of those things are legit. Burying functions a layer deeper doesn't seem to make much sense not sure how that's an improvement but I'll wait here please do tell.

I'll tell here what I found and like better.

Hope it helps you (the first one), but maybe not.
  • Climate control
    • It can be opened with one swipe, from anywhere in the lower bar.
      • This change is key: it's not a touch. I was asked in another thread what is the difference between this swipe & a touch.
        • Touch requires your attention to select the correct icon on the screen.
        • Swipe, in this implementation, does not: simply reach a finger anywhere at the bottom of the screen (bezel/border helps too), and swipe up: climate control menu opens in full.
      • This swipe action does not require me to take my eyes off the road at any moment.
      • In v10, the seat heaters, temperature and defrost icons where small and required more attention (from me) to hit them.
    • When the climate control is open, the icons are actually bigger and better placed
      • Seat Heaters:
        • Larger, with a box around them
        • Placed closer to the driver & passenger side of the screen
        • note: one can still use the car representation if one fancies it
      • Keep Climate On
        • Larger, with also a box around it
        • More important: placed cleverly in the corner, bottom left, so for me much easier to select than before
  • Map
    • Mentioned already, but "North" icon on the left is far easier to reach
    • Way points that can be managed (added, reordered)
    • Charger icon, makes more sense where it is now
  • MultiMedia player
    • I like the view "midsize", where you can see the next songs
    • Note: Next songs does not work when random play is selected, I hope Tesla implements it later
    • I recently "discovered" Caraoke. One missed feature what the ability to search for a song in Caraoke. v11 includes Caraoke in its search results
  • Applications Tray
    • I like that I can chose what to put in the bar below.
There are things that I don't like, but they don't outweigh what I like and this is not this thread's topic.

-Dashcam status icon/button: Bigger and easier to select to save footage. The previous icon on the UI was small and needed a little more concentration to select. And I never liked the idea of honking the horn.

Okay great now how about for a Model S / X with a portrait oriented center screen and an instrument cluster? Pre-autopilot (which is what many people have)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Okay great now how about for a Model S / X with a portrait oriented center screen and an instrument cluster? Pre-autopilot (which is what many people have)

It's not exactly the same as the Model 3 (e.g. the LT and BT icons are still at the top), but I don't see anything that sticks out as a problem here visually. I can't speak for any other features not shown here or how well they work now vs before. He said the instrument cluster hasn't changed.

If there aren't ANY improvements in such a major update, I would imagine the whole UX team at Tesla would've been fired on the spot, LOL. Of course, there are a bunch of improvements over the previous version, and some really good usability redesigns that can be applied to other features in the future. But I think it's a matter of expectation. The well-educated community of Tesla owners has a higher expectation than average, and that amplifies some of the head-scratching changes into full-blown hate.

And the fact that everyone is different in how they use the UI. 95% of the people don't need to touch the driver profile button after it's set, so moving it to a sub-menu makes sense. But for the other 5% it's a no-no. By the time the next major update rolls out, we probably will be all used to V11, and all this hate will be a thing of the past. I just hope Tesla do more focus groups in different parts of the country to make sure they understand the implications.

Reactions: chengka
If there aren't ANY improvements in such a major update, I would imagine the whole UX team at Tesla would've been fired on the spot, LOL. Of course, there are a bunch of improvements over the previous version, and some really good usability redesigns that can be applied to other features in the future. But I think it's a matter of expectation. The well-educated community of Tesla owners has a higher expectation than average, and that amplifies some of the head-scratching changes into full-blown hate.

And the fact that everyone is different in how they use the UI. 95% of the people don't need to touch the driver profile button after it's set, so moving it to a sub-menu makes sense. But for the other 5% it's a no-no. By the time the next major update rolls out, we probably will be all used to V11, and all this hate will be a thing of the past. I just hope Tesla do more focus groups in different parts of the country to make sure they understand the implications.
I would imagine that all car makers will encounter these situations in the future as more move to over-the-air software updates. Hopefully input from end users, before release, will become the norm although even with that there are likely to always be a certain number of users that are unhappy.

I like the new UI, simply because I just recently got my MY. I agree with Surfrasch that they will build on this UI in future. I would like to see the possibility of adding more features into the driver profile setting i.e. drive mode, etc... and possibly be able to personalize/customize views and store it under driver preference.

Reactions: Driver08