Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of noise that comes in via the suspension. I have done just about everything as far as cabin treatments go. When I hit a rain puddle, you can barely hear the water spray. But, you hear every bump and defect in the road. Rough pavement is still loud. You can feel the vibrations. I drove my dad's minivan the other day and it was a lot quieter over rough roads.

There is a lot of noise that comes in via the suspension. I have done just about everything as far as cabin treatments go. When I hit a rain puddle, you can barely hear the water spray. But, you hear every bump and defect in the road. Rough pavement is still loud. You can feel the vibrations. I drove my dad's minivan the other day and it was a lot quieter over rough roads.

This could explain why mine seems so loud. I have the performance with the stiffer suspension.

Wind noise isn't that big of a problem. It's there, but not horrible. It's more the road noise that is causing issues for me.

I agree, I don't hear a lot of wind noise, but I hear a lot of other noises I didn't hear before, motorcycles at a distance, 4x4 off road tires, perf exhaust rumbling, crap I even hear other driver's radios more than before, at slower speeds, I even hear my own electric motors whirring (I have really sensitive ears).

Yeah, my wife's Kia Optima is a dream to drive, smoother, and really quiet. The M3 is almost bouncy over dips and bumps in the road, and it has a longer wheelbase.

Last edited:

Attachments

• trunk seal.jpg
    trunk seal.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: ajp558
I was hearing some flapping at high speed and the technician put some peel and stick foam on the inside of the front wheel wells so that the plastic didn’t hit on the fender. Seems to be working well. He put a 1/4” x 3” strip on.

I did the rear area, rear trunk lid, and under the frunk area sheet metal area for the floorboard area and side fender area... with sound deading matting.

You didn't happen to take any before/after dB ratings did you? I watched this youtuber (i1Tesla I think, but could have been someone else) and his butt-o-meter said the difference was significant, but if I recall correctly, the actual dB difference wasn't that big, not enough to justify the labor involved in disassembly/reassembly to add the damping material.

Yeah I've seen a few videos where people tear apart their entire car down to the metal and install sound proofing material and the results are barely different on the DB meter.

Maybe it's because, like someone said up thread, it's coming through the suspension and resonating through the whole car and there just isn't a way to soundproof against that.

Reactions: chinnam3
It's not just the lack of engine though. There is significantly more road noise from the tires/ground. And it changes as the quality of the pavement changes. On a nicely paved road it's fine. On sh*tty snow plow scraped pavement it's really loud. My BMW was definitely a lot quieter for whatever reason. In fact I remember reading that on my particular car (2016 340i) they actually pump some engine noise into the cabin via the speakers because otherwise you can barely hear it and people actually like the sound of an engine in a performance car.

The Model 3 sounds more like my Sister's Toyota. on the highway.

It's not just the lack of engine though. There is significantly more road noise from the tires/ground. And it changes as the quality of the pavement changes. On a nicely paved road it's fine. On sh*tty snow plow scraped pavement it's really loud. My BMW was definitely a lot quieter for whatever reason. In fact I remember reading that on my particular car (2016 340i) they actually pump some engine noise into the cabin via the speakers because otherwise you can barely hear it and people actually like the sound of an engine in a performance car.

The Model 3 sounds more like my Sister's Toyota. on the highway.

Model 3 tire pressure is quite high, and the stock non performance tires are inherently loud.