Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tested 3 different brands of the Door Seal Kit all with the same results: no difference in noise level. I used a Sound dB phone app to compare before and after levels. Although a phone app may not be accurate, all you need to see is the difference in the numbers. And there was no difference. The BASENOR brand showed one dB less.
Others here are discussing expensive and time consuming options. I am going with a different option: crank up the tunes on the onboard awesome sound system. Road noise gone LOL.

Won't be noticeable but I believe there is a thread somewhere where someone documented his sound proofing project and the measurable difference wasnt much.

What kind of BMW did you have? I measured with an iPhone DB app and found my BMW m3 averaged 78 DB while my Tesla averages at 72. 19" wheels btw.

You could try a swap for 18"s.

Guess it depends what noises you are noticing. Wind, road/tire or objects being kicked into the wheel wells.

eBay has some wheel well liners, Amazon has a door seal kit.

BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Door Seal Kit Soundproof Rubber Weather Draft Seal Strip Wind Noise Reduction Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R13DYYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_33cLDbBK5Z6VV

1 Pair Front Wheel Arch Soundproof Cotton Protective Pad For Tesla Model 3 17-19 | eBay

Door Seals help with dings too?

I have tested 3 different brands of the Door Seal Kit all with the same results: no difference in noise level. I used a Sound dB phone app to compare before and after levels. Although a phone app may not be accurate, all you need to see is the difference in the numbers. And there was no difference. The BASENOR brand showed one dB less.
Others here are discussing expensive and time consuming options. I am going with a different option: crank up the tunes on the onboard awesome sound system. Road noise gone LOL.
Those rubber seal kits aren't worth the investment. I turn up the premium audio system and enjoy my tunes!

It is quite easy to reduce the noise level in the Model 3. You need to add rubber seals to the doors and the trunk. It turns out that the trunk is a big contributor to cabinet noise. You can tell just by folding the rear seats down and see how much louder the car will be. Attached is my measurements after I added the seals. In case the video doesn't load, the sound level measurement I got is about 72dbA at 72 mph on a freeway. When the car is stationary, the sound insulation from outside is much better. If you are interested, I can send you the seals I used which were all bought on Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
Why not just put proper insulation on every surface in the trunk? This just seems like an aluminum sheet which would just be another resonating surface which as you said, needs to be covered with more insulation.

Not really keen on taking apart the car to do that. Like I said I was looking for easy ways to accomplish this. Disassembling the trim in the car to stick soundproofing material to all the surfaces is not easy.

So is there anything "easy" you can do to reduce road noise in the car. I don't hear a ton of wind noise, so I don't think those various seals will help much, but the road noise is pronounced compared to my BMW. I feel like I have to talk louder and have a harder time hearing someone in the back seat when driving at highway speeds in the Model 3.
It's amazing how much louder the road is when you don't have an engine to drown it out.

Reactions: St☰v☰
It's not just the lack of engine. It's obvious that the cabin in my BMW 340i is significantly quieter than my Model 3. At highway speeds it's hard to hear the passengers in a Model 3, especially in the back seat. My 340i is relatively quiet at highway speeds.

I assume this is because the BMW uses more built in sound dampening. I was just looking for an easy way to regain that a little.

Wind noise isn't that big of a problem. It's there, but not horrible. It's more the road noise that is causing issues for me.

Reactions: St☰v☰
It's a project definitely worth your time if road noise is a big deal to you and you are planning on keeping your model 3 around for a while.
This is a DIY project for those that have the time/energy/skills/flexibility. Labor hours make this cost prohibitive.

It's by far the quietest car (city or HW) I have ever had and also the fastest!
It took many hours to do it at my own pace over 5-6 days.
Just my 2 cents sharing to everyone on the forum. PM me directly if you have questions.
It is quite easy to reduce the noise level in the Model 3. You need to add rubber seals to the doors and the trunk. It turns out that the trunk is a big contributor to cabinet noise. You can tell just by folding the rear seats down and see how much louder the car will be. Attached is my measurements after I added the seals. In case the video doesn't load, the sound level measurement I got is about 72dbA at 72 mph on a freeway. When the car is stationary, the sound insulation from outside is much better. If you are interested, I can send you the seals I used which were all bought on Amazon.

What are the trunk seals you mention?

I came from a ‘12 Jeep Wrangler with a soft top so to me it sounds like I can hear a pin drop LOL. You guys are spoiled with that cabin noise you’re comparing it with!!

It's true it's all relative and one gets used to the car they drive daily, but having an over $50k Model 3 interior noisier that a $20k ICE car (I'm comparing it to my wife's '18 Beetle), is not right.

I guess there aren't enough potential customers who stay away from the Model 3 because of this to make Tesla use better soundproofing and better glass. This makes me almost sad, I really would have loved a Model 3 but I just can't bring myself to do it...

It's a project definitely worth your time if road noise is a big deal to you and you are planning on keeping your model 3 around for a while.
This is a DIY project for those that have the time/energy/skills/flexibility. Labor hours make this cost prohibitive.

It's by far the quietest car (city or HW) I have ever had and also the fastest!
It took many hours to do it at my own pace over 5-6 days.
Just my 2 cents sharing to everyone on the forum. PM me directly if you have questions.
What kind of cars have you had? I’ve never seen someone claim their model 3 was the quiet, let alone the quietest ever!