Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things are sometimes like this with Tesla. When they release a new OTA update somethings get better, some things are added and for some things they are worse.

It is like taking two steps forward and one step back. The end result is still one step forward.

Their engineers seem to be on to this, and usually get some of the one step back items restored on the next update.

Notice the same things with my computer software updates. Some of the changes are great, but some really screw with my system.

My bass is back! Nothing changed but it magically came back just now when I took a quick drive.This car drives me bat crazy! 46.2. Also voice command that wasn’t working is magically back. The unusable hands free phone due to stuttering and popping is gone as well, but the echo is still there. Nuts!!!
OK, I may not be sherlock holmes... but here's my deduction:

You have a faulty microphone.
* Voice Command is only working sporadically....
* Hands-free phone is having problems...
* Music volume/bass low... because system uses microphone to equalize stereo volume

Eft mike would affect all 3. Try this out on your service center.

Love that I finally found/saw/noticed this thread and see that I am not alone. The bass in my 3 is incredibly "neutered" as well. I have my equalizer maxed on 8 for bass, and unless I put music up to ear deafening loudness, the bass is simply weak and pathetic. However, if I specifically look up "bass testing" songs (e.g. Bass for Bass Headz), the sub woofer CLEARLY is working and has moments of brilliance. The moment I play most regular songs from either Slacker or my phone, it goes back to acting as if there is no sub woofer.

My 2009 Nissan Murano has factory bass that thumps louder - under normal song loudness circumstances - and that is embarrassing and hopefully is just an indicator that there is an issue that can be fixed. My old 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse had a small sub woofer in its trunk, which is what Mitsubishi gave with a premium sound package, and it could also make my hair tingle due to the power of the bass. I definitely expected the 2018 Model 3 to at least perform on par with the 2006 Eclipse, from a bass standpoint, and it isn't even in the remote vicinity.

Again, I'm hoping that just means my vehicle has a bass problem that can be fixed. I'd be more than content if I was able to get the same performance Mitsubishi gave me with their little trunk woofer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drizzle
Again, I'm hoping that just means my vehicle has a bass problem that can be fixed.

For those that have the problem it started with the 2018.44.x update, so I'm 99.9999% sure this is a bug introduced in the recent software. Can anyone here that has updated to 2018.48.x confirm whether this is fixed in that version?

I received 2018.46.2 this weekend and my punch is back; Kesha’s “Hymn” just about blew me out of the car.

I also have a hypothesis as to what the bug is. I realized that when I opened the door and the music was attenuated that it was exactly like the “punch free” sound I’ve been getting. I think there’s a chance that it was stuck on door open mode.

Love that I finally found/saw/noticed this thread and see that I am not alone. The bass in my 3 is incredibly "neutered" as well. I have my equalizer maxed on 8 for bass, and unless I put music up to ear deafening loudness, the bass is simply weak and pathetic. However, if I specifically look up "bass testing" songs (e.g. Bass for Bass Headz), the sub woofer CLEARLY is working and has moments of brilliance. The moment I play most regular songs from either Slacker or my phone, it goes back to acting as if there is no sub woofer.

My 2009 Nissan Murano has factory bass that thumps louder - under normal song loudness circumstances - and that is embarrassing and hopefully is just an indicator that there is an issue that can be fixed. My old 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse had a small sub woofer in its trunk, which is what Mitsubishi gave with a premium sound package, and it could also make my hair tingle due to the power of the bass. I definitely expected the 2018 Model 3 to at least perform on par with the 2006 Eclipse, from a bass standpoint, and it isn't even in the remote vicinity.

Again, I'm hoping that just means my vehicle has a bass problem that can be fixed. I'd be more than content if I was able to get the same performance Mitsubishi gave me with their little trunk woofer!

" Neutered" lmao!!!

I received 2018.46.2 this weekend and my punch is back; Kesha’s “Hymn” just about blew me out of the car.

I just went down to test Hymn and a few other things mentioned in this thread. I streamed Hymn from Google Play Music, from my Android phone, with my bass equalizer setting at 8/8. The front door bass was definitely noticeable, with the rear bass being barely noticeable. I moved the sound to come from the back only, and I could hear the sub woofer working, but not nearly as much as I would have thought at the volume level I was at. The bass coming from the front doors was definitely as much, if not more, than the bass that came from the sub woofer in the trunk. I assume if you did that same test, the trunk bass would be substantially better/deeper/thuddier than the front door bass? Never did I hit a level that would blow the doors off, unless near max volume, which could cause hearing impairment..lol.

I also have a hypothesis as to what the bug is. I realized that when I opened the door and the music was attenuated that it was exactly like the “punch free” sound I’ve been getting. I think there’s a chance that it was stuck on door open mode.

All that it does when you open the door is turn the volume down. It does not turn bass down disproportionately. In fact when doing testing I would leave door open and turn it back up manually. It’s smart enough to not turn it back up if you touch volume with the door open. If you don’t touch the volume it restores the volume when you close the door. But if the volume was down for whatever reason, you simply just turn it up.

I was tempted to make a service center appointment too— But what could they possibly do to fix a software bug?

Not much, unless there is a newer update available that fixes the bug. Just gotta be patient and wait for another update that eliminates this bug (and hopefully doesn't introduce many new ones...)

OK, I may not be sherlock holmes... but here's my deduction:

You have a faulty microphone.
* Voice Command is only working sporadically....
* Hands-free phone is having problems...
* Music volume/bass low... because system uses microphone to equalize stereo volume

Eft mike would affect all 3. Try this out on your service center.

This might actually make sense for me too! There are times when I try to say navigate to, and nothing happens. I would try several times and still nothing. Then randomly, I will be able to use it.

Everyone says they hear nothing but road noise when I'm handsfree. This car is much more quiet than other cars I've used, and those worked fine. It's not my phone as the two I have (different brands) both sound the same . I'm constantly screwing with navigation voice and regular also to find the right balance. Drives me crazy. I'lI have Tesla look at it. Thanks for the tip!

I’ve had good luck fixing it temporarily with a reboot. I did it today at a stoplight (scroll wheels + brake) and the bass came back immediately. It will then disappear again in a day or two. Definitely a bug. I’m on 46.2 but had the problem on earlier versions as well.

Someone from Tesla diagnostics called me about this today. Weird thing is I don’t know how they knew I was having the problem because I never reported it to them. I described the issue - system seemed to lack some bass, and if you fade to the rear speakers it was blatantly obvious there was no bass at all, sounded like a transistor radio. But I couldn’t replicate it today. He was very interested in getting a time stamp from me from right when it happens. He said if it happens again to please note the time, contact him, and use the bug report voice feature. So I encourage anyone experiencing this to use that feature right when it happens, or to note the exact time and contact Tesla. He also wanted info regarding whether a reset temporarily fixes the issue.

I just got my car back from the service center this morning and I think my bass is back...will require more testing later tonight.

For those that have the problem it started with the 2018.44.x update, so I'm 99.9999% sure this is a bug introduced in the recent software. Can anyone here that has updated to 2018.48.x confirm whether this is fixed in that version?

My issue started on 42.8, and I got 44.2 while I was at the service center and still on it now, so I'm pretty sure its not the 44.x update.