Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if some of these issues are associated with the audio bit rate and connection issues. The audio is a streaming service. I know Elon mentioned a while ago that the cell service for the cars was costing a lot. Maybe in addition to charging they throttled the bit rate so the cars use less data in one of the "bug fix" updates? Has anyone asked this question?

Low bit rate would not do this.

Are you on wifi? I just connected my wifi two days ago and the update immediately showed up.

Initially upon update, I thought the bass was improved but might have been placebo. After a few more drives some songs still sounded weak.

I’ve never had my car on wifi since our wifi doesn’t reach our car. Somehow I still was able to get an update 2 weeks ago

If 48.1 doesn't fix this, I'd really like to illustrate the issue for someone at a service center. The problem is that music still sounds fine when the subwoofer isn't working properly— so it's hard to explain that it's supposed to sound AMAZING.

Would it be possible to generate low frequency tones that are only audible from the subwoofer in the trunk, but not the woofers in the front doors?

If 48.1 doesn't fix this, I'd really like to illustrate the issue for someone at a service center. The problem is that music still sounds fine when the subwoofer isn't working properly— so it's hard to explain that it's supposed to sound AMAZING.

Would it be possible to generate low frequency tones that are only audible from the subwoofer in the trunk, but not the woofers in the front doors?

it really should be based on the feeling from the trunk alone. When its working, the trunk audibly rattles with volume at 50% or more. When its not, it's no more than a mild hum. My issue is that I cant consistently make it work properly. Even a full power down cycle doesn't necessarily bring it back to life as it should, so it's hard to force a comparison between broken/working on demand.

it really should be based on the feeling from the trunk alone. When its working, the trunk audibly rattles with volume at 50% or more. When its not, it's no more than a mild hum. My issue is that I cant consistently make it work properly. Even a full power down cycle doesn't necessarily bring it back to life as it should, so it's hard to force a comparison between broken/working on demand.

Yeah, my right tail light rattles when I have some bass heavy music playing at 75%

Last edited:
Just used the "request help" option on the Tesla website while logged into my account to report this continued issue with the lack of bass. My car used to sound so amazing, now it's just kind of "meh". I'm crossing my fingers that the next update resolves this.

Might not be a bad idea for everyone that is experiencing this issue to submit a help request through their Tesla account on the website to notify them about this. More people complaining hopefully equals a faster bug fix.

So mine is switching between kickass and clock radio modes as I think many of us are experiencing.

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever it switches back in to kickass mode the immersive setting changes to the standard setting as opposed to the highest setting I prefer it on.

I’m just gonna leave it on standard and see if that helps avoid clock radio mode.

So mine is switching between kickass and clock radio modes as I think many of us are experiencing.

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever it switches back in to kickass mode the immersive setting changes to the standard setting as opposed to the highest setting I prefer it on.

I’m just gonna leave it on standard and see if that helps avoid clock radio mode.

Mine is always on standard, doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'll just try turning immersive completely off and then rebooting.

Mine is always on standard, doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'll just try turning immersive completely off and then rebooting.

Maybe I should try the same. It seems that the audio app is crashing and rebooting at some point and then things go back to normal. Then some process goes awry and we lose all the punch.

This is a frustrating bug because you can’t point at a window that won’t roll up or a charge port that won’t release and say “that’s broken.”