Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.jpg

Great turn out today. This is early before everyone arrived. Approx. 30 people and 28 cars attended.
Look for my tweets tomorrow at the Model X event @autoloyalty
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just received an "updated Mobile Connector" package, the letter in it says that they are rolling out a pilot program to replace them and asking for the old one to be returned. It does not say anything about any defects or reason for the change, just some general language about continually innovating, which sounds like BS to me in this case, since I see no functionality difference. If it is a safety issue with the old one I'd prefer to know about that...

Just wondering if other Ontario owners have received similar package and if anyone knows what is behind this.

I have just received an "updated Mobile Connector" package, the letter in it says that they are rolling out a pilot program to replace them and asking for the old one to be returned. It does not say anything about any defects or reason for the change, just some general language about continually innovating, which sounds like BS to me in this case, since I see no functionality difference. If it is a safety issue with the old one I'd prefer to know about that...

Just wondering if other Ontario owners have received similar package and if anyone knows what is behind this.

When I bought my HPWC at the Tranmere Service Center a month or so ago, I mentioned that I was debating whether just to get a second UMC to leave at home. I decided on the HPWC because it was only $100 more and because I'd already had several UMCs replaced under warranty, so I was skeptical about their longevity. At that time, they told me that I couldn't have bought a UMC even if I wanted because they were no longer offered for sale in Canada. I asked why, but didn't get an answer. I wondered at the time if some re-design was in the works. This might be my answer.

I think I said something about this on another thread, but apparently UMCs need to be capped at 32A due to some CSA or ULc requirements. Tranmere service didn't know if it was going to be done across the board or not.

You'd think this could be done via software, but who knows? Looking forward to more info as I'd like to get a second UMC as well.

No they can't do it via software, because it would also impact 40A HPWC and J1772 stations.

I'm guessing this was all spawned by that one Toronto garage fire.

How obliged is Tesla to replace the connectors, since they were legal when they were shipped? Surely grandfathered? I imagine they're not recalling all the Roadster UMCs...

I don't want to back my garage charging down to 32A. Also now I can't get the HPWC with a 50% incentive, because you have to get it within 6 months. Kinda annoying.

I think I said something about this on another thread, but apparently UMCs need to be capped at 32A due to some CSA or ULc requirements. Tranmere service didn't know if it was going to be done across the board or not.

You'd think this could be done via software, but who knows? Looking forward to more info as I'd like to get a second UMC as well.

You are right, the new cable charges with 32A only! I am not happy with that, I am not sending back the 40A charging cable to them.