Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Space ship controls was pushed to the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C1042B61-0F66-4E17-8472-654068FD47C7.jpeg
In my opinion, it seems those space ship controls Elon was wanting to do for the M3 was exed and moved to their next project where it made sense, the next gen Roadster. Those look like spaceship controls to me.

That wheel certainly looks more interesting, but those steering wheel controls aren't nearly as practical as those in the Model 3 (1 axis, no scroll, no click?). Stalks look *extremely* limited (surely they have to change that...). And I don't think that display will prove as practical either.

Model 3 is designed to be a practical car. Roadster 2 is designed to be an exciting car. I think both deliver.

ED: is that patterning on the wheel just the lighting, or is that the actual weave? If that's the weave, I wonder if it's a CF+UHMWPE weave? That's my favourite fabric for composites!

I noticed this at the reveal and said to myself "Looks cool, but I wouldn't want that". IMO, It seems like a bad idea with traditional lock-to-lock rotation amounts? In order for that to be practical, you'd have to be able to go from lock to lock in 360 degrees max, such that you could go lock to lock without letting go. Anything under 720 degrees is normally considered way too twitchy, so 360!? I don't know, when I drive I move my hands around depending on my mood, too.

BTW- Look at the heavy glare in that photo

BTW- Looks like Tesla is continuing the minimalist interior look

The only way I can picture that wheel working comfortably is if it has a very small lock to lock distance.

They might be able to prevent twitchiness if they made the turning effect nonlinear. Aka, the further you go from dead centre, the greater the effect it has on your wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME
Something tells me that the production version in 2020 won't have that steering wheel. It's good for show.. it's not good for actual driving.
Unless it is FSD. Entirely possible by 2020/21.

Interesting is the "portrait" orientation for the U.I. rather than the "landscape" version in the model 3. Also the center console incorporates the "flying bridge" concept which proved to be so controversial on the Prius. I have the flying bridge on my Prius and I like it a lot, all the controls and U.I. are in easy reach, but I know there will be others who won't like it.

Last edited:
In a video of a Roadster test ride at the Semi event, I believe it was Electrek who asked the driver if the steering "wheel" was going to make it to production. The driver replied, "That's the plan".

yeah, I wouldn't go by what the driver said in a prototype car three years away from production.

Elon said we'd have a Chrome browser and an SDK four years ago. Still waiting for that.

That wheel certainly looks more interesting, but those steering wheel controls aren't nearly as practical as those in the Model 3 (1 axis, no scroll, no click?). Stalks look *extremely* limited (surely they have to change that...). And I don't think that display will prove as practical either.

Model 3 is designed to be a practical car. Roadster 2 is designed to be an exciting car. I think both deliver.

ED: is that patterning on the wheel just the lighting, or is that the actual weave? If that's the weave, I wonder if it's a CF+UHMWPE weave? That's my favourite fabric for composites!

I’m not a big Lamborghini fan but on the new Huracan I absolutely love the pattern on their new forged carbon fibre pieces all over the car.

Lamborghini Is Forging Ahead with Forged Carbon Fiber; We Visit Their U.S.-Based Lab

2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Pictures | Photo Gallery | Car and Driver

Last edited:
Sorry to reply to my own post. But:

They might be able to prevent twitchiness if they made the turning effect nonlinear. Aka, the further you go from dead centre, the greater the effect it has on your wheels.

The more I think about that, the more awesome I think that would be. Seriously, picture what that would be like on the track, being able to command the vehicle into a sharp turn with only a <180°, hands-never-repositioned turn of the wheel. Yet still having "non-twitchy" driving in normal conditions. I'm not sure what it would feel like, having a nonlinear wheel response (I suspect that you'd adjust quickly).... but the potential for what you could do with it sounds impressive.

Reactions: T34ME
I’m not a big Lamborghini fan but on the new Huracan I absolutely love the pattern on their new forged carbon fibre pieces all over the car.

Lamborghini Is Forging Ahead with Forged Carbon Fiber; We Visit Their U.S.-Based Lab

2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Pictures | Photo Gallery | Car and Driver

It's certainly better than plain plastic, but as a general rule, randomly oriented fibres aren't nearly as strong as weaves. But... then again, a lot the use of composites in high-end cars these days has a lot more to do with aesthetics than structure, so, obviously there's no drawback there. And I'll admit, the aesthetics of forged carbon fibre are quite appealing.

The reason I like CF/UHMWPE is because it creates a neat mix of properties. Carbon fibre has an incredibly high strength to weight ratio, but very little ability to absorb energy (little elastic deformation; it just breaks). UHMWPE still has a high strength to weight ratio (even if not as high as CF), but more importantly has superb energy absorption properties. Its downside is that it's more prone to delamination than CF. The dual weaves combine tensile strength, energy absorption, and resistance to delamination, with only a relatively small loss to overall tensile strength. But a neat side benefit occurs: while UHMWPE has nearly as high of a strength to weight ratio as CF, it has a very low density. Which increases the thickness of a weave for a given strength and weight. And as people here with physics / engineering background can tell you, increasing the thickness of a structure increases its area moment of inertia; the further a point is from a bending axis, the more dramatic its ability to resist the bending force. For a given mass, halving the density with a fixed strength-to-weight ratio decreases tensile and compressive stress 4x, and cuts the magnitude of the bend 8x.

dyneema-carbon-bike-2.jpg

A downside to incorporating UHMWPE into a weave is that it's UV sensitive. Now, so is your epoxy binder, so you have to include UV absorbers either way, but effective UV blocking becomes more important when you have UHMWPE in your weave than if you didn't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T34ME and ohmman
I think that would be too difficult for people to get used to, since they would never have driven a car with steering that was nonlinear.

Reactions: insaneoctane