Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 1st 2nd Reuse - SSO-A - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: December 2nd
Launch Window: 1832 GMT (1:32 p.m. EST; 10:32 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E Vandenberg
Booster Recovery: ASDS - JRTI
Booster Type: B1046.3 - Reused Block 5
Mass: TBD
Orbit: SSO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch with Spaceflight’s SSO-A rideshare mission, a stack of satellites heading into sun-synchronous polar orbit. Numerous small payloads will be launched on this mission for nearly 50 government and commercial organizations from 16 countries, including the United States, Australia, Finland, Germany, Singapore and Thailand.

Notable Smallsats on this mission include: Eu:CROPIS, ITASAT-1, and and two high-resolution SkySat imaging satellites for Planet Labs.

This is the 18th reuse of a booster and this will likely be the first time an orbital class booster will be reused for a third launch. It is not known whether this will be a RTLS or ASDS recovery yet.

It will be the 19th launch of the year if the schedule holds.

Which could happen because SpaceX on 10/13/18 has 5 new Block 5 boosters and 4 previously flown boosters available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine. There is almost no way it isn't confusing. It needs a longer description than the title allows. That's why in the text it's:

"This is the 17th reuse of a booster and this will likely be the first time an orbital class booster will be reused for a third launch. It is not known whether this will be a RTLS or ASDS recovery yet."

I'm with Grendal on this. 1st 2nd Reuse does make sense, you just have to break it down. This F9 booster flew once. Then it flew a 2nd time for its 1st reuse. The upcoming 3rd flight will be its 2nd reuse and also the 1st time this has been attempted using a Block 5 booster.

I'm with Grendal on this. 1st 2nd Reuse does make sense, you just have to break it down. This F9 booster flew once. Then it flew a 2nd time for its 1st reuse. The upcoming 3rd flight will be its 2nd reuse and also the 1st time this has been attempted using a Block 5 booster.

That's the updated title. It said third reuse previously just like:
This is the 17th reuse of a booster and this will likely be the first time an orbital class booster will be reused for a third time.
Which is incorrect as it is the third flight, 3rd use, but only 2nd reuse.

1st 3rd flight would also work for a title, but then, after 4 more times, they'll get sued (or sponsored) by fifth third bank :D

That's the updated title. It said third reuse previously just like:

Which is incorrect as it is the third flight, 3rd use, but only 2nd reuse.

1st 3rd flight would also work for a title, but then, after 4 more times, they'll get sued (or sponsored) by fifth third bank :D

Thanks everyone. I think I've made it clear as can be now. I was incorrect in my description before.

If I'm not mistaken RTLS started out being a particularly dangerous, untested abort mode for the shuttle. It's a bit different in the SpaceX context, though.
Good point, especially noting the risk to the shuttle crew. The SpaceX method of RTLS is dramatic, yet it's reliable and has perhaps even become routine. Checking Wiki I learned that NASA actually toyed with the idea of demonstrating RTLS on the first shuttle flight. Even one of the bravest astronauts of that era wasn't too crazy about that idea......."To provide an incremental non-orbital test, NASA considered making the first mission an RTLS abort. However, STS-1 commander John Young declined, saying, "let's not practice Russian roulette" and "RTLS requires continuous miracles interspersed with acts of God to be successful"."

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
The landing site (LZ-4) at Vandenberg is practically the launch site since they are so close together. However LZ-1, at the Cape, is pretty far from SLC-40 and LC-39A. It won't be until BFR that we will actually get a RTLaunchS. Currently, for SpaceX, it should be RTLandingS. Or possibly: RTLZ = Return To Landing Zone.