Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is not just a genius. There is a lot of heart there too.

He was obviously deeply moved by the success of the mission and that’s wonderful to see. As to just how “historic” it was, I would not rate it as high as he appeared to do in his speech. Yes, it’s unquestionably a great day for SpaceX and NASA. However America has successfully launched hundreds of people to LEO and beyond. Sure, F9/Crew Dragon is the most cost effective and the most technologically sophisticated spacecraft ever. But I thought Elon got a little carried away with his adjectives.

Reactions: Electroman
He was obviously deeply moved by the success of the mission and that’s wonderful to see. As to just how “historic” it was, I would not rate it as high as he appeared to do in his speech. Yes, it’s unquestionably a great day for SpaceX and NASA. However America has successfully launched hundreds of people to LEO and beyond. Sure, F9/Crew Dragon is the most cost effective and the most technologically sophisticated spacecraft ever. But I thought Elon got a little carried away with his adjectives.

Eh. Everyone was getting carried away in that post recovery ceremony. Besides, it was a rare golden opportunity to show that SpaceX and NASA interests are aligned and do some chest thumping for SpaceX. Elon absolutely wants more NASA business.

Also, he was speaking to many audiences here. He IS currently trying to raise $1B in the capital markets for SpaceX you know.

A very nice recap of the whole mission, with things you may have missed if you were not glued to NASA TV for 63 straight days.
And some really cool handheld (GoPro I think) audio and video from the space walks, including some crew audio during prep and what it sounds like during re-pressurisation in the airlock:
I definitely saw things I missed!

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
They may release it later or not at all. Perhaps it might look quite “violent” at different stages of re-entry.
In that last interview posted above (SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A) Bob does a great job of describing what re-entry was like, and how it felt. Am sure you’d see them get “whacked” in the back and moved around by the pitch-yaw-rolls.
I definitely would love to see that. Tweeting at Elon might work...

but why..? have we not had Astronauts go and return from Space Station for over two decades now in different spacecrafts? I know they flew a brand new tech, but does it raise to the level of bravery award ?
Both are rated test pilots that took a completely new human rated spacecraft on a test flight. I'd say so.
As the Astronauts Astronaut, John Young put it before flying STS-1...
"Anyone who sits on top of the largest hydrogen-oxygen fueled system in the world; knowing they’re going to light the bottom, and doesn’t get a little worried, does not fully understand the situation."