Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS-16 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could see what the failure was on the telecast before they cut away. One of the grid fins got stuck at a fully tilted angle and the booster literally began to spin in a circle (the land below was rotating).

Honest to god, as I was watching the booster come down, I was idly thinking that the SpaceX engineers have done a really good job at programming the controls of the booster for a landing. However, I was wondering if their programming was flexible enough to work when a component failure, like a grid fin, occurred. Since the booster has grid fins, cold gas thrusters, and a gimbled rocket engine, in theory you could overcome one component failure by overloading the other components. A human pilot in such a scenario would have been trained in simulators for such emergency situations and how to land the rocket under failure scenarios.

I guess I got my answer :-(

I'd say the control system did compensate amazingly, as seen by attitude control and minimal yaw rate. It just wasn't able to overcome the lack of grid fin induce side slip/ tilt. Not sure anything could have without extra engine burns.

A few seconds later at T +07:34, the stage is now maybe 10 seconds from touchdown, a second after this point the camera view from the stage was ended. Then I heard some cheers and applause from the audio feed of the employees at Hawthorne outside the control room and I thought maybe somehow the stage made a successfull landing, thought that seemed improbable. Finally the webcast commentator said the stage “made a water landing” and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Best possible outcome at that point.

Let's call it a successful failure.

Good news is that future boosters will have better hydraulic pumps.

More tweets from Elon on the grid fin failure.

2F271FB0-74BE-461D-B34E-52175FF92EBD.jpeg

Overall, this was incredibly impressive. There was a failure causing the booster to lose significant control. Everyday Astronaut video has some footage and you can see the booster was spinning and, not quite, tumbling. The landing burn began and almost completely righted the booster and allowed a soft water landing. It's hard to say whether it would stayed up if it tried the landing on the pad. It would have probably made it from the looks of that last moment of the landing. SpaceX is incredible.

Reactions: Brass Guy and e-FTW
I think we have video here: SpaceX CRS-16 Launch LIVE - IRL from KSC - Twitch
(Scroll to one hour in, am on my phone here)

The spin seems to stop right before “landing”. Just nuts!
Thanks for that link. Wow. It didn’t look as severely out of control from that point of view as it did from the camera on the stage. Very close to landing upright, but since it was in the water it of course could not stay upright. The person shooting that video could not see that the stage was not touching down on land, I assume.

I was wondering if their programming was flexible enough to work when a component failure, like a grid fin, occurred. Since the booster has grid fins, cold gas thrusters, and a gimbled rocket engine, in theory you could overcome one component failure by overloading the other components.

I think that's a valid case.

Near as I can tell from the landing clip, the 'opposite' grid fin actually retracted a bit. It makes sense that such a loss of control would induce a difficult-to-recover roll. I think the control algorithm did a pretty solid job; I think the biggest roadblock to success was time--it took too much time to stabilize, which didn't leave enough time to target.

Edit: Elon's tweet poo-poos that a little, maybe a bit of retraction but not much.

Thinking about it, it makes sense that the much more powerful gimbled rocket motor was able to wrest control away from the grid fins and reverse a pretty severe spin. I wouldn't be surprised if SpaceX learned from this and have the rocket turn on early to combat grid fin failures if this happens again (assuming there is enough propellant for that). Pretty impressive nonetheless.

Reactions: bxr140