Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS-16 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The booster was lost. Some failure just before the landing burn.

1st landing failure on a F9 booster in over two years.

It looked like some sort of aerodynamic failure. Once the booster went wrong the systems couldn't compensate for the instability.

Last edited:
You could see what the failure was on the telecast before they cut away. One of the grid fins got stuck at a fully tilted angle and the booster literally began to spin in a circle (the land below was rotating).

Honest to god, as I was watching the booster come down, I was idly thinking that the SpaceX engineers have done a really good job at programming the controls of the booster for a landing. However, I was wondering if their programming was flexible enough to work when a component failure, like a grid fin, occurred. Since the booster has grid fins, cold gas thrusters, and a gimbled rocket engine, in theory you could overcome one component failure by overloading the other components. A human pilot in such a scenario would have been trained in simulators for such emergency situations and how to land the rocket under failure scenarios.

I guess I got my answer :-(

Reactions: e-FTW
Elon just tweeted that a grid fin hydraulic pump stalled, but that the booster landed in the water intact and was still transmitting telemetry. Good news!
Yup: Elon Musk on Twitter
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.40.27 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Elon also just tweeted that their telecast cutaway from the malfunctioning booster was a mistake and they should have shown it all. That's the right answer and I'm glad Elon knows the right thing to do even if his employees don't.

Reactions: e-FTW
I scrolled back in the webcast before it ended and did these screen captures, from just before the stage started spinning out of control to a second before the webcast stopped the camera feed from the stage. The first image is during the re-entry burn and at that point everything appeared to be nominal at T+ 06:56.

7FB0C237-9FE3-4CF0-AE38-D58091842B55.png

After re-entry burn shutdown, stage appears to be stable, cold gas thrusters operating, at T+ 07:13.
1FB18CCE-761E-48B4-A59D-8E871A5E65C1.png

Stage appears to be losing control at this point, rotating in a way I’ve never seen at this point in the landing process, T+ 07:24.

56E8BEF0-BA47-42C4-9D9A-3BBD5E7A78C3.png

At T+ 07:31 the stage is spinning wildly. I found it rather terrifying to watch. In fact it seemed unreal, I had to remind myself this was a live feed and was really happening. It appeared that it could hit land, and not in a good way. The webcast commentators were silent.
9D97E894-F189-48F1-89A8-135B51C632A4.png

A few seconds later at T +07:34, the stage is now maybe 10 seconds from touchdown, a second after this point the camera view from the stage was ended. Then I heard some cheers and applause from the audio feed of the employees at Hawthorne outside the control room and I thought maybe somehow the stage made a successfull landing, thought that seemed improbable. Finally the webcast commentator said the stage “made a water landing” and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Best possible outcome at that point.
D187E8F6-037B-47F7-81AA-142D057C1D28.png

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and e-FTW