Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 1 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: November 11th
Launch Window: 1451-1502 GMT (9:51-10:02 a.m. EST)
Launch site: SLC-40
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster: B1048.4
Fairings: Reused from Arabsat - and Recovery will be attempted by Ms Tree and Ms Chief
Mass: 60 satellites at 227 kg each - 15,600 kg (34,500 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the second batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 1. The last batch were considered test satellites. So this is the first official batch of satellites for the network.

This is the first fourth launch of a Block 5 booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and e-FTW
Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
I think @Grendal wrote it correctly. I don't think any other booster has launched 4 times yet.

I apologies for the pedantry - saying this is the fourth launch of a Block 5 booster, and given that this booster is going up for the fourth time, sure sounds like there is 1 Block 5 booster and it's being used for the 4th time.

Hence the observation that it's the fourth launch for this particular booster (as I'm pretty sure there are more than 1 block 5 booster).

I apologies for the pedantry - saying this is the fourth launch of a Block 5 booster, and given that this booster is going up for the fourth time, sure sounds like there is 1 Block 5 booster and it's being used for the 4th time.

Hence the observation that it's the fourth launch for this particular booster (as I'm pretty sure there are more than 1 block 5 booster).
The point of the statement mentioning how many times it has launched is that this is the first time any specific booster has been used 4 times. Your discussion does not mention the most important word in the sentence - "first".

Reactions: Grendal
OCISLY caught on camera. A satellite camera.
Harry Stranger on Twitter
EIz3enFUcAA2pIn

Ha!

Do you know if the next starlink launch will be ASDS as well? I suppose they are trying to max payload.

All Starlink launches will have to be ASDS because of the huge weight.

80% chance of good weather. Upper level winds can be an issue. So it might be beautiful out but still get scrubbed.

74226583_3150228434993275_4107193039510831104_n.jpg

SpaceX press kit for this launch https://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/starlink_press_kit_nov2019.pdf

Some interesting things in the press kit:

The Starlink satellites will deploy at an altitude of 280 km. Prior to orbit raise, SpaceX engineers will conduct data reviews to ensure all Starlink satellites are operating as intended. Once the checkouts are complete, the satellites will then use their onboard ion thrusters to move into their intended orbits.

Since the most recent launch of Starlink satellites in May, SpaceX has increased spectrum capacity for the end-user through upgrades in design that maximize the use of both Ka and Ku bands. Additionally, components of each satellite are 100% demisable and will quickly burn up in Earth’s atmosphere at the end of their life cycle—a measure that exceeds all current safety standards.

Starlink is targeted to offer service in parts of the U.S. and Canada after six launches, rapidly expanding to global coverage of the populated world after 24 launches.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RubberToe and e-FTW