Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX should start the regulatory approval process in Pakistan and issue news releases about how they are making progress in Pakistan and may be able to offer service to Pakistan before India. The only thing that might move India regulators is to look foolish and incompetent next to Pakistan.

India regulations and regulators are generally less friendly to business than even China, Russia and Moldova etc. They are the worst. And listening to your Indian lawyers tell you that anything reasonable is not possible, as if they were reporting on the weather, compounds the frustration. It's a potentially big market but so many people have said -- **** it, it isn't worth it.

SpaceX should start the regulatory approval process in Pakistan and issue news releases about how they are making progress in Pakistan and may be able to offer service to Pakistan before India. The only thing that might move India regulators is to look foolish and incompetent next to Pakistan.

India regulations and regulators are generally less friendly to business than even China, Russia and Moldova etc. They are the worst. And listening to your Indian lawyers tell you that anything reasonable is not possible, as if they were reporting on the weather, compounds the frustration. It's a potentially big market but so many people have said -- **** it, it isn't worth it.
Sounds like Tesla is running into similar issues there too.

Elon can afford to be patient and just wait India out. AFAIK, they are still constrained by dishy manufacturing.

674C940A-EEC9-40F9-A235-31EAEFE28107.jpeg

Starlink will be a great solution for problems like this:-

“Communication with Tonga remains very limited ... and I know that is causing a huge amount of anxiety for the Tongan community here [in New Zealand],” Ardern said.

Starlink will be a great solution for problems like this:-
As long as the air remains thick with ash, I'm not sure how effective satellite communication would be. Probably wouldn't be a significant improvement over waiting until it's safe to boat/fly in.

If the actual tsunami hit area is not under the cloud though, it would work... but then why would volcanic ash hinder response?

As long as the air remains thick with ash, I'm not sure how effective satellite communication would be. Probably wouldn't be a significant improvement over waiting until it's safe to boat/fly in.

If the actual tsunami hit area is not under the cloud though, it would work... but then why would volcanic ash hinder response?
Volcanic ash hinders aircraft surveillance/ relief.

Their connection to the internet seems to be severed.

The Australian embassy has a satellite phone.

It seems like phone services on the islands are working.

Starlink might be useful even if it initially only provides an intermittent service.

The details:
Starlink constellation after launch of Starlink Group 4-6 on 1/18/2022

Group 1: 550 km, 53.0 degree, ver 1.0, 1471 operational 69 moving
Group 2: 570 km, 70.0 degree, ver 1.5, 17 operational 34 moving
Group 3: 560 km, 97.6 degree, ver 1.5, 0 operational 3 moving
Group 4: 540 km, 53.2 degree, ver 1.5, 10 operational 239 moving

31 satellites have failed and are drifting

Group 1 has a goal of 1584 satellites and is currently 57 satellites short
Group 2 has a goal of 720 satellites and is currently 669 satellites short
Group 3 has a goal of 508 satellites and is currently 505 satellites short
Group 4 has a goal of 1584 satellites and is currently 1335 satellites short

Last edited:
Ash will start to dissipate before the cable is fixed. Seems like a great time to send a thousand Starlink dishes

There's only 100k people in Tonga. ;) I also don't know if Starlink is authorized to operate in Tonga yet so, while likely a hurdle that can be cleared through emergency measures, its not quite as easy as just shipping terminals out there and plugging them into a power source.

As for the ash, yeah--and as with most satellite communications, a lower throughput can often push through thick atmospheric occlusions.

One number I've been watching closely is their attrition rate...which has been rising since deployment started and is around 9% or so. That kind of failure rate is unthinkably unacceptable for practically every product ever offered and every infrastructure ever constructed in the history of history (to say nothing of the legacy space folks going head-explody over that rate) when you consider that the oldest 1.0 sats haven't even reached half their design life...though its unclear to me yet whether that's actually a bad number in this context.

One number I've been watching closely is their attrition rate...which has been rising since deployment started and is around 9% or so. That kind of failure rate is unthinkably unacceptable for practically every product ever offered and every infrastructure ever constructed in the history of history (to say nothing of the legacy space folks going head-explody over that rate) when you consider that the oldest 1.0 sats haven't even reached half their design life...though its unclear to me yet whether that's actually a bad number in this context.
Though the stats show that most of the failures happened in the earlier batches. Typical of SpaceX and Tesla, they are improving as they go.

I mean, any sensible person would say "good for them". A entity engaging in unregulated/unapproved commerce in a foreign nation is, best case, willful ignorance on the part of that entity. Depending on the nature of the commerce and/or the history of the states' relationship, it could easily be interpreted as something significantly more undermining (including being a sponsored activity).

Imagine the national outrage if NIO set up shop in the US and simply started taking reservations...

I mean, any sensible person would say "good for them". A entity engaging in unregulated/unapproved commerce in a foreign nation is, best case, willful ignorance on the part of that entity. Depending on the nature of the commerce and/or the history of the states' relationship, it could easily be interpreted as something significantly more undermining (including being a sponsored activity).

Imagine the national outrage if NIO set up shop in the US and simply started taking reservations...
Not sure I agree... a "pre-order" doesn't provide said service, it primarily gauges interest.

The article says:"“Starlink has neither applied for nor obtained any license from PTA to operate and provide internet services”

They aint doing that yet, but are in the process of getting the license , as the article states that Starlink is unavailable "due to pending regulatory approval”

Last edited: