Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLAopt and I are both in contact with Sharespost regarding SpaceX shares. Nothing imminent but they are planning to do a large fund purchase at some point where minimum entry will likely be $100K. I will provide updates as new info comes out.
High entry point but I fully believe it will be worth it. Thanks for sharing your research!

What are the odds of a space elevator undercutting even a reusable booster business model? How soon?

Not to get out of earth's gravity well for quite a while. I've gone to a couple of SE meetings and conferences and even if the tensile strength was there for the strands/ribbons materials (it's not); on earth the complexity of weather and atmosphere and surface station add up rapidly. You need rockets on the strand to get to out of oscillating harmonics (out of the way of stray planes) etc
Mars may also be complex because of atmosphere; but earth moon, and possibly other moons or small elevators for asteroid mining are talked about like they are a better prospect.

Personally, I wish that SpaceX would go public.
I hope it stays private for quite a while - to be able to fully set it's own agenda. IMO pure maximization of shareholder value is not necessarily equal to the best interests of humanity in the short term (5-10ys) of Space X. I do believe shareholder value will be produced; but they'll need to be able to explore local minima and terrible quarterly decisions to get to global maximums and generation-scale goals.

Last edited:
For airplanes they could create a subsidiary or separate company, or for that matter do it under the Tesla brand. It does seem like the battery plant will be a part of Tesla Motors Inc. right, so why not also an airplane division? This of course would be the battery powered plane Elon has talked about, the one taking off vertically and flying in the stratosphere.

Well, we might see the manned dragon in operation sooner then we think... Elon is a power player for sure... This Russian situation has been a Spacex boon on every level. Spacex will get military contracts and will be starting tests/production of crewed missions by probably the end of 2015...

elon knows opportunity when he sees it. Also, is very confident in his team to deliver. I bet spacex employees more motivated then ever(if that's possible).

and yes, russia, thanks for the trampoline suggestion. Only this trampoline will be in the form F9 crewed dragon! Put that in your twitter pipe and smoke it!

Well, we might see the manned dragon in operation sooner then we think... Elon is a power player for sure... This Russian situation has been a Spacex boon on every level. Spacex will get military contracts and will be starting tests/production of crewed missions by probably the end of 2015...

elon knows opportunity when he sees it. Also, is very confident in his team to deliver. I bet spacex employees more motivated then ever(if that's possible).

Yes right now it's coming together very nicely.

Now, how about that IPO at a lowish valuation? I'm first in line :)