Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-4 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya.. but there was not single terrestrial visual of IFT-3 booster landing. And that is next door in the Gulf. And this Ship is going to land somewhere in the Indian ocean boondocks.
IFT-3 booster landed some 150km off-course, IIRC, which may be why there was no external landing footage. (And IFT-3 ship landed everywhere from 0-500km off-course, simultaneously.) Hoping both stages land closer to target this time, and in one piece!

WOW. The flight looks to be fantastic so far. The booster splashdown looked perfect, but we don’t know yet if it hit its GPS target. Anxious to see the ship again and hoping it is maintaining attitude control!

I was thinking that SpaceX would be able to show us realtime ship telemetry via Starlink throughout the mission but apparently not.

Keep thinking of things to add: disappointing that one booster engine appeared not to have ignited, but happy to see that, at least from the point of view of the ship flap camera, no tiles are missing.

WOW. The flight looks to be fantastic so far. The booster splashdown looked perfect, but we don’t know yet if it hit its GPS target. Anxious to see the ship again and hoping it is maintaining attitude control!

I was thinking that SpaceX would be able to show us realtime ship telemetry via Starlink throughout the mission but apparently not.

Keep thinking of things to add: disappointing that one booster engine appeared not to have ignited, but happy to see that, at least from the point of view of the ship flap camera, no tiles are missing.
@Electroman and I chatting on the Discord Channel about that... looks like one Raptor out on ascent and a diff one on splashdown

The SpaceX commentators and the loop seems to indicate that the landing burn did occur but the ship engine graphic did not show engine ignition.

But it does seem that the ship did the flip and there was a soft landing!
Did the flip happen too late and too close to the ground? Did the engine light up too close to the ground? Did it even light up?