Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Switched 12V Circuit on Model S built after July 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The connector is quite large, around 45mm long:
The male is 18 x 19mm and recognized by the lip on the side and top.
The female have lock integrated in the housing.
The pins is square.
Have not been able to locate it at Mouser, have not given up quite yet. :-(

View attachment 98380View attachment 98381
I opened up my console tonight and found the connector. Took some pictures of the female half of the plug and it looks like the part number is PBT-GF15 which is listed as a pretty common automotive connector plug. The closest part I can find to the one in our cars is a TE Connectivity 184392-1 (although there are several close matches with other 2X2 layouts). It looks like you can add a female receptacle to the existing plug to mate with the existing unused male pin and the part number for that receptacle might be 184030-3 (although I'm not sure on the difference between the three models that are listed as matches for the receptacle). Anyone have any experience with these plugs to find the matching part?

I tried to located this power source on my P100D and it does not exist. Has Tesla removed this "feature"? Is there a new power source that I am not aware of?

Periokid, I agree with you. I opened up the side of my console this afternoon. '17 90D, and the connector from the picture is no where to be found. I climbed in and look all around. Missing on newest models and year.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Periokid, I agree with you. I opened up the side of my console this afternoon. '17 90D, and the connector from the picture is no where to be found. I climbed in and look all around. Missing on newest models and year.

I finally tapped the fuse box at the passenger's right foot area. Upper left fuse in the box is for the passenger seat motor. Works great for constant power.

Reactions: Yannick and Akikiki
Thanks very much!

Now I just need to figure out the best way to make the connection to that wire, or hope my installer knows.

I saw Fezzik's posts about using a wire from a computer's power supply. I swapped out a power supply on a desktop unit a couple of years ago, and thought I had kept the bad one somewhere, but a preliminary search at 3:00 AM did not turn it up. It may be one of the few things I actually threw away, now that I could use it!

Edit: Would the connector on the right in the photo below be what I'm looking for?

So, after some digging around I found that Ford uses the same connector in the current Explorer. Ford calls it a WPT-1260 (see it in the catalog https://www.fordparts.com/FileUploads/CMSFiles/18376 Pigtail Book 2016.pdf) but, fortunately the Ford 1.5mm female pins from many different parts fit our connector too. I just added a wire to the spare circuit in this connector by taking a female pin out of a Ford socket and inserting it into the empty space in the Tesla socket. Search YouTube for videos on how to re-pin a connector and it shows how to unlock the pins and remove or insert new pins.

Here's a picture of the Ford part that I used to supply a wire to add to the Tesla connector and a picture of the wire (red/green) installed in the Tesla connector.
12V - 6.jpg
12V - 2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: StoicKiwi
My fuse 202 has a 5A fuse, not 15A per the spec sheet. i can confirm it is 12V switched, and does not supply the USB in the center console on my 2018 S75D.

it's what I'm planning on tapping for my valentine one radar detector.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I figured I'd post on the details of the connector and how I tapped into it. It took some research to find the details, so it probably would save people some effort if they want to do it the way I did it. I wanted to keep the Tesla harness unmodified, which meant making a custom harness that gave me the 12V and ground separated. I have a 2016 Model S Pre-facelift, so this is what worked for me.

IMG_7556.JPGIMG_7557.JPG

The connector is a Male Yazaki Yesc Kaizen Unsealed 2.8mm 4 pole: 7282-6446-40

The female end is 7283-6446-40.

IMG_7558.JPG

Also need at least 3 of each of these terminals when using 18AWG wire, assuming you want to pass the 12V though still.
7114-4111-02
7116-4111-02

The Red/White wire is 12V. Ground is the Black wire. I basically made a passthrough harness, then tapped into the 12V and the ground of the passthrough. I used buttsplices since that's what I had on hand. I didn't have their actual crimping tool for the terminals, and had to resort to using two separate manual crimp tools I found that were close enough sizes, one for the wire and one for the insulation grip.

IMG_8372.JPGIMG_8373.JPGIMG_8374.JPG

I'll be honest and admit this is probably overkill and most people are better off just using a positap to get what they need. The connector parts weren't easy to source since nobody uses this particular one anymore in current car production. I actually have some leftover parts, enough to make another 1, maybe 2 if I'm careful.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I figured I'd post on the details of the connector and how I tapped into it. It took some research to find the details, so it probably would save people some effort if they want to do it the way I did it. I wanted to keep the Tesla harness unmodified, which meant making a custom harness that gave me the 12V and ground separated. I have a 2016 Model S Pre-facelift, so this is what worked for me.

View attachment 721962View attachment 721963

The connector is a Male Yazaki Yesc Kaizen Unsealed 2.8mm 4 pole: 7282-6446-40

The female end is 7283-6446-40.

View attachment 721964

Also need at least 3 of each of these terminals when using 18AWG wire, assuming you want to pass the 12V though still.
7114-4111-02
7116-4111-02

The Red/White wire is 12V. Ground is the Black wire. I basically made a passthrough harness, then tapped into the 12V and the ground of the passthrough. I used buttsplices since that's what I had on hand. I didn't have their actual crimping tool for the terminals, and had to resort to using two separate manual crimp tools I found that were close enough sizes, one for the wire and one for the insulation grip.

View attachment 721965View attachment 721966View attachment 721967

I'll be honest and admit this is probably overkill and most people are better off just using a positap to get what they need. The connector parts weren't easy to source since nobody uses this particular one anymore in current car production. I actually have some leftover parts, enough to make another 1, maybe 2 if I'm careful.
Impressive. I spent some serious time looking for that connector and never found it. Yes, posi-tap is easy. My OCB, shakes its finger with "tsk-tsk" at me. Nicely done. I was one of the first to find the S's mate to the persistent connection connection in the speaker grille (and posted it all over TMC). But that was long ago.