Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire - Extra 19's for sale.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions for the group:
I am thinking of getting aftermarket wheels/tires. I was thinking of saving a stock 19" as a spare tire and picking up a jack from the junkyard. So here are the questions:

1) will the stock 19" tire (spare) fit in the frunk?
2) anyone want to buy one of my 19"s to have a spare yourself ?(what would be a fair price +shipping?)

count me in as possibly interested (at the right price). One thing I'll need to know is how much will the shipping be to Houston? If the shipping is expensive, it may not be worth it.

FWIW, I had another car that had no spare (only slime and a pump). I hit a huge pot hole and had a blow out. I limped to a side street, and had to get a tow. After that, I had a spare tire/wheel that I kept at home. In the event of flat, I could get a ride home and return with the spare... never needed it. What I may do this time around, is keep the wheel/tire at home and ride with a smaller donut that fits in the frunk. That way I could limp home.

rekoh: I'm interesting in one of your 19" Can you give me a price and how much it weighs?
I hope its just the wheel, and not the tire too. Can you confirm that?
I'm in Hawaii, will you prepare it for shipping via FedEx? I will check FedEx for the cost to ship.

thanks

count me in as possibly interested (at the right price). One thing I'll need to know is how much will the shipping be to Houston? If the shipping is expensive, it may not be worth it.

FWIW, I had another car that had no spare (only slime and a pump). I hit a huge pot hole and had a blow out. I limped to a side street, and had to get a tow. After that, I had a spare tire/wheel that I kept at home. In the event of flat, I could get a ride home and return with the spare... never needed it. What I may do this time around, is keep the wheel/tire at home and ride with a smaller donut that fits in the frunk. That way I could limp home.

Have you found somewhere to purchase a "small donut" 19" wheel/tire that fits the car?

I was told the spare should be at least a 16 inch rim since the brakes are 14 inches. Anyone know what kind of rim/tire we could get to fit our MS for a spare in the frunk? Would be nice to have on road trips!

There is no way a 16" wheel will fit. I'm not even sure an 18" wheel will fit. There is just barely room for your hand between the caliper and the 19" inch wheel (and I don't recommend removing the calipers to add clearance :)

Does anyone have any idea whether the car can be driven with a small donut tire/wheel replacing a rear wheel? Would that get messed up with the traction control or mess with the direct drive motor as smaller wheel rotates at a faster rate than the original? I would imagine that replacing one on the front wheel might be OK as the drive system is not there.

I am especially concerned now about a blowout as an impact bubble on the outside sidewall as found on my OEM Goodyear 19" tire when I went to get a tire rotation at a local tire shop. I'm getting it replaced under the road hazard coverage I bought from that local shop.

Does anyone have any idea whether the car can be driven with a small donut tire/wheel replacing a rear wheel? Would that get messed up with the traction control or mess with the direct drive motor as smaller wheel rotates at a faster rate than the original?

A doughnut spare should have the same RPM as the OE tire--and ideally you install them on a non-driving axle. If it rotates at a faster rate, then it's the wrong size.