Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculate: what the heck happened to Chris Lattner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can terminate anyone, anytime.
You've never owned a business in California, huh. I have 80+ FTEs and can't remember the last time we let someone go that didn't result in a wrongful termination claim. It's so easy here. Literally everyone is a member of a protected class, often multiple protected classes. To quote my employment law attorney (yes you need one of those here), don't hire anyone that you wouldn't marry.

Reactions: X Fan
You've never owned a business in California, huh. I have 80+ FTEs and can't remember the last time we let someone go that didn't result in a wrongful termination claim. To quote my employment law attorney (yes you need one of those here), don't hire anyone that you wouldn't marry.

Most large corporations around here have a system for making it work in California. Usually it comes in the form of backhanded “improvement plans” that provide the company with a lot of paper trail to prove that they “tried” to improve you. And at that point, they will have removed all your ISO/RSU bonuses, which effectively cuts your compensation by 60-70%. Most people voluntarily leave at that point, at which point it’s no longer a “termination”.

Perhaps as a small-medium business it’s harder to terminate random employees in California, but I get the impression that large companies manage this just fine. I’m sure there’s a highly paid consultant involved in this formula.

The thing is that the tolerance for crappy tesla software by its customers is decreasing day by day. As the cars go mainstream, the expectation for software fidelity is going to be similar to what folks expect from Apple.

The purely rational part in me would agree, but otoh, why then would so many people (myself included) buy a Samsung smartphone for example? ;)

Reactions: neroden
He states on his own resume that AP2 is effectively at AP1 parity and even surpasses AP1 in some ways.

I’m not sure we can solely blame Elon’s tweets. Sounds like he had an extremely generous rating of AP2’s capabilities.
I have both cars - I'd rate AP2 as at parity with AP1 in reliability. Smoothness no. Reliability? Yes and superior in some situations.

Reactions: 1 person
Most large corporations around here have a system for making it work in California. Usually it comes in the form of backhanded “improvement plans” that provide the company with a lot of paper trail to prove that they “tried” to improve you. And at that point, they will have removed all your ISO/RSU bonuses, which effectively cuts your compensation by 60-70%. Most people voluntarily leave at that point, at which point it’s no longer a “termination”.

Perhaps as a small-medium business it’s harder to terminate random employees in California, but I get the impression that large companies manage this just fine. I’m sure there’s a highly paid consultant involved in this formula.
Hmmm, there's a business opportunity in here somewhere...

I have both cars - I'd rate AP2 as at parity with AP1 in reliability. Smoothness no. Reliability? Yes and superior in some situations.
I’m also an AP2 convert after a nice long run with AP1. I’m satisfied with where AP2 is, and see a lot of promise. But I think overall AP2 still departs the lane in more scenarios than AP1. But both systems are still highly useful.

You've never owned a business in California, huh. I have 80+ FTEs and can't remember the last time we let someone go that didn't result in a wrongful termination claim. It's so easy here. Literally everyone is a member of a protected class, often multiple protected classes. To quote my employment law attorney (yes you need one of those here), don't hire anyone that you wouldn't marry.
Agree. I was speaking specifically to employees on an employment contract, which execs typically are. You can terminate, but will have to pay out for the duration of the term. We have a division in CA. Dealing with them is a significant departure from the typical "employment at will" states. Always amazed at the number of policies and systems that are marked "CA only". PITA

Agree. I was speaking specifically to employees on an employment contract, which execs typically are. You can terminate, but will have to pay out for the duration of the term. We have a division in CA. Dealing with them is a significant departure from the typical "employment at will" states. Always amazed at the number of policies and systems that are marked "CA only". PITA
You obviously don't have a division in France ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Latter wanted to change coding style, replace their development environment and version control system. He had his priorities backwards and Tesla sacked him, gave him 5 year salary in advance while barring him from commenting on his work at Tesla or working for competition.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Elon Musk: "I don’t believe in process. In fact, when I interview a potential employee and he or she says that “it’s all about the process,” I see that as a bad sign....process becomes a substitute for thinking."
Elon Musk’s Mission to Mars

Chris Lattner "I made massive improvements to internal infrastructure and processes that I cannot go into detail about."

Could they even fire him that early?
I got a friend that was recruited into Apple as an engineer who was given
a minimum of 3 years guaranteed employee contract.

Depending if this was really specified on the job description or the job offer, or this information was only given verbally,
it seems to me that this might be a contract job, and he/she will get assigned to a particular project without any guaranty
to get transferred to a new project when ending.

This person has particular skills but he/she should try at the same time to update and acquire additional skills to stay competitive
later on when the project will end. Employers in general don't spend time and money to let their employees getting new skills, and
prefer hire new employees who have new skills instead of providing additional formation to their own employees who will
eventually leave the company.

In comparison with contract jobs, full time employees get hired "at-will." (Meaning there is no duration guarantee)

Judging from Tesla’s rather cold statement that “Chris just wasn’t right”,
Looking at his on-line resume, Chris Lattner is a software architect who seems to excel at developing
very powerful high level generic components used for implementing
state of the art virtual machines and compilers.

However he might lack some of this skills and experiences required for the development of sophisticated
Pattern Matching, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence software applications.

However, when there is a clash, in general it's more a personal issue than a skill issue (IMO).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmacelf
When it comes to parts, communications, marketing, timelines, policies, quality, honesty....Yes Elon....it shows......

Process without a cycle of review and continuous improvement is a path to obsolescence.
Without documented processes your path is repeating the same mistakes perpetually.

Processes today are not static structures that halt innovation. They are movable safety catches on elevators to success.

Where you see the breakdown in process and continuous improvement in software is when it becomes difficult reduce the relative number of bug reports, and in fact, they continue to climb per manhour instead. You never found out your root cause for shipping buggy software, so you cannot really do anything about it except allow it get worse. There is something broken, but since you don't know what it is, you have to let it grow.