Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla was going to do a retrofit to add a CCS port they could easily slip the hardware to speak CCS in at the same time. I still don't think it's terribly likely but they could do it, and a redesigned tail light assembly could probably house both ports without issues and fit on all existing X/S cars.

That would be great! I could see that as being an actual doable upgrade. Although, I bet you'd be looking at 3k$+.

On my i3 the CCS option was €600. On all other cars where it is optional it is less than $1k. Even if it includes a redesigned light fixture should not be anywhere near that cost.

I mean 3K+ for the retrofit on an existing car. They'd need to replace the tail lamp assemblies, add a cutout into the sheet metal below, and add some hardware to the charging circuits. 3K might be a bit light. And of course, it might not be practical.

Yes, 1K or so for the option on a new car sounds about appropriate.

X

Hmm. I don't think either of us received that email. Do you know when it was sent?

BTW, it was joke. I guess nobody got it. Next time I'll use the ;) instead.
Early last week, I believe. This actually looks like a person email so obviously not every one would receive, so possible fake. I first saw it mentioned here on TMC and was skeptical (or in denial) but have seen others confirm it here and elsewhere as well.

upload_2017-5-25_8-23-57.png

Last edited:
I mean 3K+ for the retrofit on an existing car. They'd need to replace the tail lamp assemblies, add a cutout into the sheet metal below, and add some hardware to the charging circuits. 3K might be a bit light. And of course, it might not be practical.

Yes, 1K or so for the option on a new car sounds about appropriate.

I'm pretty sure you could do it without changing the sheet metal at all, if they adopt a bigger door further aft on the light like the 3 prototype has.

You'd need new contactors to enable/disable both charge ports, but those shouldn't be horribly expensive.

Anyway, the point was it's quite doable - and I still feel like it is unlikely to happen. I guess we'll have to see.

Reactions: mutle
Early last week, I believe. This actually looks like a person email so obviously not every one would receive, so possible fake. I first saw it mentioned here on TMC and was skeptical (or in denial) but have seen others confirm it here and elsewhere as well.

View attachment 228341
I hope somebody asks about that silver paint job.... I want that, not that crap RC gray.

But they aren't exactly small. So you would need a lot of space behind the door.

True - at least if you take the simplest approach and integrate the contactors and all the switching in the new light assembly. I actually think there's room to do that in my X if they chose.

They could also easily run the wires to a new high voltage switching box, or to a modified charger assembly (more expensive.)

Technically, you don't have to disable either charge port at any time - you just need to make sure that high voltage DC and mains AC from one port doesn't appear on the other. In principle this could be done with high power diodes/transistors instead (not sure how practical that is as I'm not that familiar with the details of modern diodes for size/cost/efficiency.)

True - at least if you take the simplest approach and integrate the contactors and all the switching in the new light assembly. I actually think there's room to do that in my X if they chose.

They could also easily run the wires to a new high voltage switching box, or to a modified charger assembly (more expensive.)

Technically, you don't have to disable either charge port at any time - you just need to make sure that high voltage DC and mains AC from one port doesn't appear on the other. In principle this could be done with high power diodes/transistors instead (not sure how practical that is as I'm not that familiar with the details of modern diodes for size/cost/efficiency.)
Or just placing the two ports close enough together that it's impossible to access one while the other is connected. Given that the Tesla connector is not oversized though, I don't know how feasible this would be. And even if it is, just cause you couldn't plug something into the other port, doesn't mean you couldn't get say a screwdriver in there and touch the pin, which would be hot.

Ooh, better idea - a sliding plastic door that allows access to one port, or the other. I wonder if that would pass safety inspection type things. You don't want it to be easily breakable. You simply do not want any accident, ever, from high voltage/amperage DC "escaping".

Reactions: MP3Mike
$3000 for a CCS port ?!?!?!? No way. $500 tops. Once the part is designed, like a taillight assembly with the extra parts, it'll be easily swapped in and plugged in during the building of the car.

The $3000 was a retrofit pricing estimate - assuming any kind of retrofit will be available.

Personally I'm leaning on two possibilities: no retrofits possible or retrofit possible for, say, the second-gen chargers only, if they prepared those for this already and only the light fixture/ports would have to be swapped...

Reactions: MP3Mike
The $3000 was a retrofit pricing estimate - assuming any kind of retrofit will be available.

Personally I'm leaning on two possibilities: no retrofits possible or retrofit possible for, say, the second-gen chargers only, if they prepared those for this already and only the light fixture/ports would have to be swapped...

I do think Tesla has mostly let go of the retrofit idea. They did that in the early days in order to encourage people to buy, and not wait.

But this situation is different; if they do embrace CCS, there will be a lot of pressure to make the old cars compatible. We can have fun speculating but it's impossible to evaluate the practicality of doing such a retrofit without detailed drawings of the vehicle structure and assembly.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger