Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think non tesla owners can charge their EV with tesla HPWC or Super chargers? Is there a converter out there that convert tesla plug to j17 plug?

There's an adapter out there now. It'll only work for destination/AC charging - and not always there, since some of them apparently go digital now. Since the venue is paying for the electricity anyway, it's reasonable to use at a destination charger if you're complying with their expressed rules for using their charger.

Supercharging is a completely different protocol and you'd need an adapter that bypasses your onboard charger (CHAdeMO/CCS) as well as being able to talk to the Supercharger. That one will get shut down as soon as it appears if a 3rd party makes it, by whatever means Tesla needs to use, since it'll be stealing from Tesla (you aren't paying for the electricity, and you don't have an arrangement with Tesla for them to pay it for you.)

Reactions: Algbc
Cross checking to what? Do we have any evidence that most Supercharger sites have Internet connectivity? (If it did I would think Tesla would offer WiFi access; unless they were just putting cellular connections in.)
Just me, perhaps: it seems absurd that Tesla would spend well north of $100,000 on state of the art charging equipment and not spend a few hundred $$ on Internet connectivity. We know there is now realtime status available on Supercharger location status. Is it only based upon cars that visit said stations? I suspect not.

I believe @wk057 tried with an invalid VIN and there was no checking. Of course this can change at any moment, but for now Tesla doesn't really have a need to do such checking yet (no evidence yet of people working to circumvent in practical use).

He did that - back before Tesla started charging for Supercharging. I haven't seen anyone repeat the test after Tesla changed things - might still get the same result, might not.

Quick question:
I am designed my new home. Where and on what side of the vehicle is the charging port?
Should I have the electrician rough-in what? 220? so that I can easily install a charging station on the garage.
Thanks in advance.

Charge port for an X and S is on the Drivers side on the rear of the vehicle.
Highly recommended:
Yes, most definitely rough in a 240 port. Here is a sequence of photos of what owners have to do to retro a 240 charge port --- look at these and you definitely want to plan ahead for construction.

My favorite setup (most practical) is on the pillar post between a 2+1 door garage setup.

Home Charging FAQ is HERE. @FlasherZ deserves a lot of credit for his contributions.

If it were me, have your electrician rough in a 125A (minimum) sub panel so that you can add High Power wall chargers & be possible to cascade them.
Suggest to your electrician to wire it with 1/0 copper (observing local codes, of course) on the sub panel & you can future proof your installation ... if you come into another Tesla down the road.
Why 1/0 copper you might say.... (its covered in the FAQ) I really like the tip to additionally work in a NEMA 14-50 in there. It will take some planning -- that's what your electrician is for. Reason: in case the HPWC fails, you have a 2nd way to charge your Tesla.

At construction time, it's less of a bother to set all of this up & have it done right.
Retro-ing is expensive & has trade offs that are better addressed during construction.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: landis and Algbc
Cross checking to what? Do we have any evidence that most Supercharger sites have Internet connectivity? (If it did I would think Tesla would offer WiFi access; unless they were just putting cellular connections in.)
From the stall availability report on the S/X navigation system and the headquarters supercharger dashboard, I assume they have real-time data collection.

Reactions: Algbc
I don't see anyone investing on developing that emulation, since all Tesla has to do is update the software and block it (then all that investment is wasted). It's clear Tesla does not want non-Teslas charging on HPWCs at their destination chargers (they are welcome however to charge at the J1772 chargers which frequently are also provided).

Which is incredibly stupid and short-sighted on Tesla's part if their goal to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation (now energy)" is to be believed. Tesla feels it's okay for their owners to charge at any J1772 station, many of which were donated or otherwise subsidized, but no one but Tesla cars can use theirs? In some (not all) cases, Tesla will donate a J1772 as well as a HPWC, but I don't see the point, and it seems unfair that a second Tesla can occupy the J1772 station if the HPWC is occupied, but any other car can't use a vacant HPWC if the J1772 is occupied. Maybe the J1772 stations should be engineered to block Teslas from charging at them.

For this reason, I installed 2-100 amp (80 amp delivered) J1772 stations at my office rather than the kludge of a HPWC and J1772 combination. My Model S with dual chargers can charge at full capacity while any other EV can use the stations as well.

Which is incredibly stupid and short-sighted on Tesla's part if their goal to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation (now energy)" is to be believed. Tesla feels it's okay for their owners to charge at any J1772 station, many of which were donated or otherwise subsidized, but no one but Tesla cars can use theirs? In some (not all) cases, Tesla will donate a J1772 as well as a HPWC, but I don't see the point, and it seems unfair that a second Tesla can occupy the J1772 station if the HPWC is occupied, but any other car can't use a vacant HPWC if the J1772 is occupied. Maybe the J1772 stations should be engineered to block Teslas from charging at them.

For this reason, I installed 2-100 amp (80 amp delivered) J1772 stations at my office rather than the kludge of a HPWC and J1772 combination. My Model S with dual chargers can charge at full capacity while any other EV can use the stations as well.
It's to prevent companies from just freeloading off Tesla and never investing in their own infrastructure. Allowing that slows down the spread of EV infrastructure (since there is no incentive for the manufacturer to install it). Tesla provides extra J1772 stations as goodwill, but the rest of the stations are for Tesla customers because all of the money came from them, including $1500 per stall for installation from what I know (esp. given they are free to use, so no fees are collected to cover the cost).

I don't see how that is unfair in any way. I wouldn't take offense if some of those J1772 installed in dealers by other brands didn't allow Teslas to charge, or if they needed an access card. Many of them are not free for people to use anyways (but rather part of a paid charge network).

Also, I should point out the connector is only a side point. Tesla's European HPWCs (which shares the same Type 2 connector as most European EVs) also have the same mode. Tesla also makes some of them Tesla exclusive and some general use.

The reason why Tesla feels free to use J1772 chargers is because that is the industry standard and a charger with that connector implies all EVs can use it, unless it had some other form of access control (access card, credit card payment, locked out, signage, etc).

Last edited:
For those that say retrofitting existing Model X's with a CCS port would be easy just by switching the tail light assembly... yeah, there's definitely body work behind it, and no room. Yes, that's my blue Model X :'(.

47307901-20170607180649-0620.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Saghost
For those that say retrofitting existing Model X's with a CCS port would be easy just by switching the tail light assembly... yeah, there's definitely body work behind it, and no room. Yes, that's my blue Model X :'(.

View attachment 230307
I can't remember if it was the S or X (or both) but I saw a round hole on the cars being built last Friday. I suppose they could've been European builds.

I can't remember for certain if there was only one hole. Seems like there were two but I thought one was for taillight wiring. Did anyone else notice?

Last edited:
It's to prevent companies from just freeloading off Tesla and never investing in their own infrastructure. Allowing that slows down the spread of EV infrastructure (since there is no incentive for the manufacturer to install it). Tesla provides extra J1772 stations as goodwill, but the rest of the stations are for Tesla customers because all of the money came from them, including $1500 per stall for installation from what I know (esp. given they are free to use, so no fees are collected to cover the cost).

It's not "companies" that would be "freeloading", it would be regular EV drivers like you and me. Remember, Tesla is supposed to be "accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation" for all, not just Tesla. In fact Elon is on record as saying that even if Tesla failed as a company, but it spurred on EV adoption and growth, he would consider it a success. Creating public infrastructure that only one brand can use is a crazy as Toyota building gas stations that can only fuel their cars.

While Tesla does provide the HPWC and (in some cases) one or two J1772 stations to go along with it, there are other organizations (EV clubs, electric utilities etc.) that are also providing subsidized stations out there too, but none that are brand-specific.

I have talked to a few site owners that have Tesla HPWCs along with J1772 stations and they seemed to be oblivious to the fact that they were not interchangeable or, in once case, were led to believe the HPWC was the only way a Tesla could charge.

Reactions: mutle and Algbc