Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer mph vs gps mph

DaveORD

Mar 12, 2020
Chicagoland
All depends on your make and model of GPS unit... ;)

But referring to MY, then no. Are you using OEM tires or did you install something else? Diameter is supposed to 28.0 for MY, that is what the speedo is expecting. If your tires are a slightly bigger diameter, either because you are using something different, or because they are over inflated, then that could cause it. Also, how do you know that your GPS measurement is accurate? Just because it is GPS does not mean precise. Number of satellites in view, the accuracy error, etc. all factor in. GPS could vary depending on bunch of factors.

Reactions: damonbrodie

73Bruin

Nov 7, 2020
Torrance, CA
My MY is showing about 2 mph faster than actual GPS mph with highway speed.
Will this be fixable with software updates?
I would assume that almost anything on the MY could be addressed by software updates. However, I would be very surprised if Tesla would ever base the speedometer on the GPS on a real time basis, or even use it to correct its errors periodically. From what I have read in the past, speedometers are more a quide than an absolute reference and for reasons tied to commercial vehicle rules read higher than the actual speed just like you are experiencing. There is a great Quora write up about this.

Is it true that car speedometers are slightly inaccurate to reduce speeding? - Quora

laceyboy

Aug 9, 2020
Lacey WA
All depends on your make and model of GPS unit... ;)

But referring to MY, then no. Are you using OEM tires or did you install something else? Diameter is supposed to 28.0 for MY, that is what the speedo is expecting. If your tires are a slightly bigger diameter, either because you are using something different, or because they are over inflated, then that could cause it. Also, how do you know that your GPS measurement is accurate? Just because it is GPS does not mean precise. Number of satellites in view, the accuracy error, etc. all factor in. GPS could vary depending on bunch of factors.
I forgot to provide a bit more info.
My MY came with OEM parts, no aftermarket.
GPS I'm talking about here is my Galaxy S21 Ultra and using Google maps for navigation.
Mph reported on my phone matches with my previous vehicles I owned.
I will check with my MX later.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC