Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify and data usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 this week and I have a question about Spotify. I’m using my personal account (seeing as I have one) rather than creating one in the car. I have premium connectivity as my M3 is the performance model. Will streaming music off Spotify be using the car’s LTE connection or will it be using the data through my phone? I just want to be careful that I don’t use too much data on my phone as I’m not on an unlimited plan!

I picked up my Model 3 this week and I have a question about Spotify. I’m using my personal account (seeing as I have one) rather than creating one in the car. I have premium connectivity as my M3 is the performance model. Will streaming music off Spotify be using the car’s LTE connection or will it be using the data through my phone? I just want to be careful that I don’t use too much data on my phone as I’m not on an unlimited plan!
If you have version 10 you can login in to Spotify on the car and it will use the car's data otherwise if you use the app on your phone and not logged in the car it is using your phone's data (if you are using Bluetooth).

That is correct, EU doesn't have Slacker. Spotify in EU uses a Tesla account but you can also login using your premium Spotify account.
That’s right. I can confirm that I don’t have v10 yet but I do have Spotify. I have logged in with my existing Spotify Premium account via the car’s interface and my question was whether that would utilise the car’s LTE connection or whether it would use the data on my phone. I wasn’t sure whether you had to create a specific account for the car (therefore utilising premium connectivity) to benefit. I think the answer to this is that irrespective of Spotify account type, it does use the LTE connection if you have premium connectivity and you log in via the car. I was just looking for confirmation to be sure

Right now it is via LTE. But with the SR/SR+ the LTE services are just temporary and you will eventually have to pay for the Premium Connectivity package to retain using the cars LTE. (Otherwise you can use WiFi from a hotspot.)

• Disagree
Reactions: arnis
@arnis What part of what I said are you disagreeing with? That the SR/SR+ streaming over cell is temporary?

Streaming over cell - temporary.jpg

is it temporary for just SR/SR+ or performance as well?

Just for SR/SR+. Thought Performance only comes with the Premium Connectivity package for the first year now. But they haven't starting cutting anyone off yet even though some are past the year. (Probably because they haven't got the option to them to subscribe to the Premium Connectivity package yet.)

Depending on how you read this tweet from Elon the Premium Connectivity package should be available to purchase sometime this quarter. I would expect the temporary streaming to be cut-off around the same time. (Get you hooked on it and then say if you want to keep it it will only cost you $100/year.)

Just for SR/SR+. Thought Performance only comes with the Premium Connectivity package for the first year now. But they haven't starting cutting anyone off yet even though some are past the year. (Probably because they haven't got the option to them to subscribe to the Premium Connectivity package yet.)

Depending on how you read this tweet from Elon the Premium Connectivity package should be available to purchase sometime this quarter. I would expect the temporary streaming to be cut-off around the same time. (Get you hooked on it and then say if you want to keep it it will only cost you $100/year.)

Yep, I have the Performance model with premium connectivity and knew I’d have that for a year. As far as I’m aware they haven’t yet finalised the pricing for premium connectivity but we were advised it would probably be about £100.