Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Here is the actual scientific community’s criticism that is driving musicians to remove themselves from Spotify, in solidarity with the message.
I didn't realize the actual scientific community is so small. We definitely need more people training to become actual scientists so there can be a larger actual scientific community.

Reactions: SilverString
Upvote 0
I didn't realize the actual scientific community is so small. We definitely need more people training to become actual scientists so there can be a larger actual scientific community.
That response and commentary is many times larger than the maybe half dozen medical or similar credentialed persons who have had "conversations" on JRE. Not considering the many other guests who have been on the podcast and gave their "opinion" on the subject of the current global pandemic and treatments/solutions/vaccine/quackery/etc...

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
That response and commentary is many times larger than the maybe half dozen medical or similar credentialed persons who have had "conversations" on JRE. Not considering the many other guests who have been on the podcast and gave their "opinion" on the subject of the current global pandemic and treatments/solutions/vaccine/quackery/etc...
My comment had nothing to do with the JRE podcast, nor was I supporting or defending what has been said on that podcast. I was simply pointing out (sarcastically) that there is no recognized "actual scientific community", and if there was one, it certainly wouldn't require only 300 individuals. Also, just because a response/commentary is larger, doesn't automatically mean it is true. If the other side were to come out with their own "large" response, that wouldn't make it true either.

Science does not have a voice or a designated representative(s). It is a tool to better understand reality. Consensus among scientists about a given topic in most cases will probably point us to the truth, but consensus does not always point to the truth. Scientific progress often starts with a dissenting voice, which later becomes generally accepted given enough reproducible evidence. It is important to keep one's mind open to the possibility that our current assumptions may be incorrect. Some may think it is important to censor certain voices from a public health perspective, but the process of science benefits from open debates where ideas and evidence can be presented and discussed. In my opinion, that is the more effective method by which to convince people of the truth about a given topic, not censorship, which often is counterproductive and makes it look like one is trying to avoid a debate. (and yes, we do have to debate opinions that we think are dumb, it is part of the process)

Anyway, this thread and I are a bit off-topic, and as an administrator I should be adhering better to the forum guidelines. 😂

Upvote 0
Exactly. Plus a number of of those "scientists" are fake, PhD's of who knows what and not medical doctors, and many are political activists with political agendas that have zero to do with public health.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Upvote 0
Exactly. Plus a number of of those "scientists" are fake, PhD's of who knows what and not medical doctors, and many are political activists with political agendas that have zero to do with public health.
Haha, "fake." It tells you who they are in the signatory section.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that the process of science is happening on a pop culture podcast. Dissenting voices happen within the research and scientific community, and that is how change can sometimes occur, though really most of science is an incremental and increasingly specialized process. The thing about dissenting opinions is that you need evidence that is powerful enough to overturn the existing body of evidence. For many things that have a legitimate "consensus," that is a very high bar to clear. There are no single "gotchas" unless those gotchas somehow undermine the entire body of work. That is not easy.

With a topic like a new virus, that consensus can waver as it moves from embracing the precautionary principle in lieu of solid data to drawing more concrete conclusions from improving data. So there is more wiggle room, especially early on. But again, to suggest that somehow science is happening on a podcast that is hosted by a stand up comic is probably an argument without merit.

The count is 11 agree + me, and 4 disagree, so at 12 to 4 I think we have identified the trend. Time to close this thread @ohmman and get back to talking Tesla.
Yeah, now this is science...

Reactions: Sporty and rjpjnk
Upvote 0
Haha, "fake." It tells you who they are in the signatory section.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that the process of science is happening on a pop culture podcast. Dissenting voices happen within the research and scientific community, and that is how change can sometimes occur, though really most of science is an incremental and increasingly specialized process. The thing about dissenting opinions is that you need evidence that is powerful enough to overturn the existing body of evidence. For many things that have a legitimate "consensus," that is a very high bar to clear. There are no single "gotchas" unless those gotchas somehow undermine the entire body of work. That is not easy.

With a topic like a new virus, that consensus can waver as it moves from embracing the precautionary principle in lieu of solid data to drawing more concrete conclusions from improving data. So there is more wiggle room, especially early on. But again, to suggest that somehow science is happening on a podcast that is hosted by a stand up comic is probably an argument without merit.

Yeah, now this is science...
No, as it says in the post this is a trend, and it is a number taken from the TMC count, and it is pretty clear. The letter that is spoken of can be debated over and over to no avail because 200 is a tiny number in the scope of things even if they are all legitimate. All I am doing here is taking your advice to avoid politics and not get personal after you removed my response to someone I consider a fanatic - fair enough - did I not record a like? Is TMC not pop culture as well?

12 is greater than 4, and that is science at a 2nd grade level that we all understand. The OP asked who has considered cancelling Spotify and the current trend is 12 no and 4 yes. It's that simple, it does not ask for political or scientific opinions, which many including you and I have now expressed and it tends to get ugly. As a moderator I asked you to close it for that reason.

Upvote 0
12 is greater than 4, and that is science at a 2nd grade level that we all understand. The OP asked who has considered cancelling Spotify and the current trend is 12 no and 4 yes. It's that simple, it does not ask for political or scientific opinions, which many including you and I have now expressed and it tends to get ugly. As a moderator I asked you to close it for that reason.
The OP asked how to remove Spotify, not who has considered it.

I certainly did not express a political opinion in my post. I talked about how science works.

And reactions have zero validity in gauging whether something is valid or not. Polls here are just as inaccurate and subject to selection bias among other confounds. Yes, 2nd graders might consider that science, but a high school statistics class rapidly teaches otherwise.

There is no reason to close this thread from a moderation standpoint.

Upvote 1
Can I or how do I delete Spotify from my Model Y screen?

Aren't you glad you asked the question? Are you asking how to remove from the title bar at the bottom or the radio sources list? I know how to do it in the refresh S but do not have a Y to play with to see.

Next time go over to the refresh S or X area and ask about the yoke...

Upvote 0
I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that the process of science is happening on a pop culture podcast. Dissenting voices happen within the research and scientific community, and that is how change can sometimes occur, though really most of science is an incremental and increasingly specialized process.
I'm not sure if your comment was directed at what I said, or at something someone else said, so just in case, let me clarify that at no point was I suggesting in any way that the "process of science is happening on a pop culture podcast".

My point was that there are dissenting voices on various scientific matters within the "scientific community", and that it is part of the process for the community of scientists to evaluate those ideas and opinions, and that is what I meant by open debates.

One may think it irresponsible or dangerous for a given scientist to share their dissenting opinion publicly in a non-scientific medium such as a pop culture podcast - that is certainly something one can argue. So I am not commenting about any specific opinions that were publicly shared, just saying that as a general concept it is good and important for science that dissenting opinions exist (some seem to want them not to exist). Whether or not one feels that it is dangerous to share such an opinion in public is a different matter. But it is important to recognize that just because something is currently considered accepted knowledge, that doesn't mean it will remain that way as new research findings and evidence can make some opinions that seemed absurd at the time, seem less so later on. So while we may be justified in feeling confident about a given scientific opinion, it is important to have a healthy amount of humility, and openness to the possibility that we may be wrong.

Upvote 0
…. I do not think Tidal has a family plan at the moment.

I noticed this got lost amongst the unfortunate political posturing in the thread. Tidal does indeed have a family plan. It is approximately comparable in cost to Spotify’s family plan.

I’m trying both family plans at the moment via Tidal’s $1 monthly trial. Struggling with Tidal’s lack of ability to “cast” to Echo speaker devices. My home audio is primarily Amazon Echo Studio speakers and they only play Tidal content via voice command. Spotify can control their playback via its app which is extremely convenient. 1st world problems.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if your comment was directed at what I said, or at something someone else said, so just in case, let me clarify that at no point was I suggesting in any way that the "process of science is happening on a pop culture podcast".

My point was that there are dissenting voices on various scientific matters within the "scientific community", and that it is part of the process for the community of scientists to evaluate those ideas and opinions. One may think it irresponsible or dangerous for a given scientist to share their dissenting opinion publicly in a non-scientific medium such as a pop culture podcast - that is certainly something one can argue. So I am not commenting about any specific opinions that were publicly shared, just saying that as a general concept it is good and important for science that dissenting opinions exist. Whether or not one feels that it is dangerous to share such an opinion in public is a different matter. But it is important to recognize that just because something is currently considered accepted knowledge, that doesn't mean it will remain that way as new research findings and evidence can make some opinions that seemed absurd at the time, seem less so later on. So while we may be justified in feeling confident about a given scientific opinion, it is important to have a healthy amount of humility, and openness to the possibility that we may be wrong.
I am not sure if I was responding to you, or to how I perceived others’ interpretation of what you wrote. I think I know you well enough to understand your point of view here, and I’m sure you understand mine.

There’s no question that openness to oppositional data is a foundation for growth and learning. Part of my identity is something I say all the time, which is “I love to be wrong.“ That said, there is a difference between outright dismissal and strong skepticism when data appears to be ideologically motivated or without a strong basis of evidence based support.

Reactions: danny
Upvote 0
Funny how one side claims something is "fake" and all hell breaks lose and people "cancel" everything. Yet the other side can spread lies all day long and guess what, no one cancelled anything.

I am now officially subscribing to Spotify instead of just using the free part. two completely irrelevant people want to get back in the news for 2 seconds of fame and now we are "cancelling". 80% of folks that use Spotify do not even know who these two people are.

Upvote 0
So I guess what I am learning is to ask: Is there any scientific evidence to support the question from @Sky Soldier that it is possible to delete Spotify? And, would people drop their support of @Sky Soldier is he were to "cancel" Spotify off his Tesla?

No evidence that one can remove apps from the UI or hide sources like V10. What you can do is customize the quick launch bar and make sure Spotify isn't in it.

I'm assuming that search results wouldn't return hits from Spotify if no account is logged in. I know Tidal was that way. I didn't get Tidal search results until I actually logged into there via the UI.

Reactions: SilverString
Upvote 0
For me this entire thread is out of control. The assumption seems to be if you support Joe Rogan's right to free speech then you are somehow anti vaccine and anti-science and that is not true. As for me, I have encouraged many to get the jab(s) as I have done myself, and I am not sure why Joe Rogan is so opposed, but he has every right to his opinion. But when you want to de-platform someone with an opposing point of view, that is an entirely different problem, and that is my objection to the whole of the cancel culture. Not allowing opposing viewpoints is the textbook definition of fascism. Thankfully, TMC has NOT gone down that path.

If Neil would have written a good song about his feelings it would have been far more effective, but he chose to go all in the other way. Now he has become something of a laughing stock and seems to be ending a brilliant career with an ugly crown. I was/am a great fan of his, so it makes me a bit sad.

When I posted that I was cancelling Neil Young it was more of a joke than anything. I was listening to Cowgirl in The Sand and Cinnamon Girl just his morning. Has anyone ever done a better single note guitar solo than Neil does in Cinnamon Girl? As a lifelong player, I think not.

Reactions: goin2drt and rjpjnk
Upvote 0
But when you want to de-platform someone with an opposing point of view, that is an entirely different problem, and that is my objection to the whole of the cancel culture. Not allowing opposing viewpoints is the textbook definition of fascism.
What's really interesting to me about these comments is that OP asked how to take Spotify off of their screen for an unspecified reason. Others chimed in saying similar things for the reasons that were important to them. This appears to have offended the sensibilities of some members, who chimed in sarcastically or seriously as to why they disagreed. They were perfectly happy with their Spotify subscriptions but because they disagreed with the other person's perfectly personal reasons to cancel, they were compelled to say something. They have no need to take action on their cars, no desire to change anything, but because someone else did, it bothered them to the point of needing to post.

Calling this "cancel culture" is incorrect in my view. Cancel culture is when a platform or society at large doesn't allow someone to redeem themselves. Canceling a service because it doesn't meet your needs or doesn't align with your values is the free market. To suggest that people who are canceling Spotify are part of "cancel culture" is just wrong. They're part of the free market, which has always allowed people to make individual decisions based on their value set or group decisions to "boycott" a market. In fact, the United States itself has strong foundations in the boycott.

So when someone comes into a thread that really has no dog in the game and tells participants why they're wrong about their personal decisions, I would argue they are just as guilty of "not allowing opposing viewpoints" as anyone.

Reactions: Sporty
Upvote 0