Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spreadsheet of smartphones ability to work with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recognize the need, but I need to defer the creation to someone who knows how to create and share a Google sheets document that allows owners to share their devices and compatibility with the model 3.
I was thinking of the following columns :
  • Phone manufacturer
  • Phone model
  • Phone OS
  • Tesla app version
  • Pairs (yes/no)
  • Unlocks automatically (yes/no)
  • Observed range for auto unlock (1ft/3ft/5ft/10ft/15ft/?)
  • Does it ever disconnect and not work? (yes/no)
Since I am not an owner yet and don't know all of the potential issues, I'm sure there are other relevant columns....

This would be nice to identify issues and maybe make future owners feel better if they see their phone model/os combo....

Volunteers to make the spreadsheet?
EDIT :Accidentally created in the wrong section, asking mod to move...

Instead of specifying OS as "OxygenOS 4.5.1" it would be more useful to know what version of Android it is, as that will be more of a deciding factor (in terms of OS versions, hardware matters too) than what flavor of Android. OxygenOS, SenseUI, etc shouldn't matter in terms of available APIs to access the hardware, instead the Android version would matter.

From OxygenOS - Wikipedia it appears that would be Android 7 (Nougat, specifically 7.1.1). I realize this is just an example entry you've made but it would be sensible to have the example be using more useful information :)

Unfortunately I also can't add any to the spreadsheet, as I also don't have a Model 3 yet. I can only confirm the Tesla App installed on my HTC One m9 running Android 7, but can't confirm if any features would work (i.e. BLE key function) since it won't even let me login to My Tesla since I lack any products associated with my account - apparently reservations don't count ;)

Considering that there's a lot of work that still needs to be done with the Bluetooth, it's probably premature. Had a hell of a time getting iPhone and Samsung S8 to pair. In the end, contacts and recent calls aren't working at this point - at least for me. It's also annoying that I come back to the car only to have it connect to Phone rather than my last used input which is USB.

Instead of specifying OS as "OxygenOS 4.5.1" it would be more useful to know what version of Android it is, as that will be more of a deciding factor (in terms of OS versions, hardware matters too) than what flavor of Android. OxygenOS, SenseUI, etc shouldn't matter in terms of available APIs to access the hardware, instead the Android version would matter.

From OxygenOS - Wikipedia it appears that would be Android 7 (Nougat, specifically 7.1.1). I realize this is just an example entry you've made but it would be sensible to have the example be using more useful information :)

Unfortunately, the software skin does matter. API usage remains the same, but behavior may change unexpectedly. For example, PICK_IMAGE_REQUEST intents don't require storage permission on Vanilla Android whereas it does on Samsung's TouchWiz skin. This is just one of the many examples I've run into while developing for Android. :/

Though you're right in that the Android version would also provide value. Maybe as a new column?

Now that the idea has been suggested, all I can think of is this.

giphy.gif

I couldn’t get the data base to work but I have:
IPhone 8; IOS 11.2.5
Tesla App version; 3.3.1
Pairs, auto locks and unlocks 100%
Observed range is about 10-12 feet
No disconnects
It is sometimes a problem connecting to the car remotely when it has gone into a deep sleep. This has not been an issue the last few days so not sure if it was resolved with a software update.