Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeak from rear of Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took it to a local garage that didn't even charge me to put it on a lift and spray lubricant onto the moving pieces in the back. The squeak went away for about a week and still doesn't happen when pushing down on the car any longer, but I definitely can hear it when backing into my garage. Has anyone else had this issue and found the cause? Obviously my squeak may be caused by something different than yours, but who knows, it may be a common issue for cars with decent mileage built up now.

Are you talking about your wheels squeaking or what?
It comes and goes, but when it is happening, I can park, walk back to the rear of the car, push down on a side and hear the squeak from that side. It seems to be coming from one of the stock suspension components. I had aftermarket suspension components installed (MPP adjustable comfort coilovers) and had asked the garage to inspect for this first, but they thought it was the struts, which were replaced. It turns out that wasn't the case because I still have it happening again. I'll just have to live with it for now I think and as it gets worse, it should be easier to identify.

For anyone else that may run into this, the problem is in the rear traction arms (Tesla part number 1044427-00-C). The garage lubricated it for me and it went away for a couple weeks and is slightly back now. Tesla's part is roughly the same price as MPP's so going with theirs since it uses sealed bearings that shouldn't run into the problem again.. I'm also thinking about replacing the trailing arms at the same time just because I can see them ending up having the same issue eventually and since this will require an alignment, may as well get them for this spring, when I plan to lower the car a little more once the threat of heavy snow is gone.

Cool of you to come back and follow up with a solution.

I think mine squeak a little too, but not bad enough that I've thought about messing with it. I'm not sure what they could lubricate on a rubber bushing.

I don't think you should need an alignment from just replacing the traction arm since they are the same length.

We've been seeing more of these OEM traction arm failures happening lately. The stock bushing will eventually pop right out of the arm!

20220913_170018.jpg
unnamed.png

An alignment isn't necessarily needed when swapping out the traction and trailing arms, but I'd say most people do opt for one.

• Informative
Reactions: superflyrolla
We've been seeing more of these OEM traction arm failures happening lately. The stock bushing will eventually pop right out of the arm!

View attachment 860727View attachment 860728

An alignment isn't necessarily needed when swapping out the traction and trailing arms, but I'd say most people do opt for one.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have the bushing popped out of the arm on the passenger side, I'm looking at the MPP traction arm upgrade to insure this doesn't happen again in the future. Are any of the other arms prone to this? I'm due for an alignment anyway but want to get all of it done up before paying Tesla for one..

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have the bushing popped out of the arm on the passenger side, I'm looking at the MPP traction arm upgrade to insure this doesn't happen again in the future. Are any of the other arms prone to this? I'm due for an alignment anyway but want to get all of it done up before paying Tesla for one..
In the rear, we have only really seen the traction arm bushing coming out. In the front, you'll want to inspect both the compression rod bushing (rearmost arm) and the front lower control arm bushing (the arm that the damper bolts to).

Reactions: emptyspaces