TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Squeaks from Driver Side Window?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by youtalking2me, Sep 27, 2019.

1. youtalking2me

youtalking2me Member

My AWD developed a weird noise from the driver side window seal area.

Every time I go over a small bump/uneven road or suddenly accelerate, a small squeak emanates from the top of the window area. The sound is similar to when you roll up your window and at the very top, it seals with the rubber/foam.
    It's kind of like a squeak/rattle sound.
    It does not happen when I have the windows down but only when the windows are fully up and engaged with the frame of the car/rubber or foam seal.
    Has anyone experienced this before? Rather just try to fix it at home than bringing it to Tesla for such a small issue.

• Helpful x 1
  2. zyzz

zyzz Member

same car - noticed this as well. Thought it was the seatbelt but mobile service confirmed its ok.

My windows are ceramic tinted, are yours tinted by chance?

3. youtalking2me

youtalking2me Member

No tints at all.
    I can't tell if it's a loose window or the seal not being tight enough.

4. Matsayz

Matsayz Member

I just developed this same squeak from the driver window after I had tint put on the windows. It didn't start until about 3 days afterward. It's just as the window drops for when opening the door... odd.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Glass on rubber will squeak given the right humidity levels. If you get some lubricant for the rubber seals this likely won't happen. Pretty normal for any car with frameless windows, at some point.

• Like x 1
  6. cjh.

cjh. Member

Yeah, I had this and it drove me nuts. You need to lubricate the rubber part of the seal and it will stop (for about or a month or so). I use a product called Gummi Pfledge. Look it up, people swear by it for keeping rubber seals moisturized. It comes with an applicator cap, but I usually take that off and use a rag instead to get into the hard to reach spots of the seal.

Hope that helps. My windows are not tinted and I don't think that has any effect on the noise. This is a fairly common issue with framless doors.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. zyzz

zyzz Member

my only concern adding some sort of lubricant to the door seal is that my windows are tinted and the tint film comes up all the way to the edge/lip of the window - id be worried with that constant up/down of closing the door + lubrication may get between the film and effect the tint

8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

This fixed my squeak last year as well as kept my window from freezing in the winter ( Chicago ) in the frame as other Model 3 users experienced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-RVcare-Window-Track-Dry-Lube/133406147

9. youtalking2me

youtalking2me Member

10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

In the track where the window goes when its up.

11. KenC

KenC Active Member

I use gummi pflege. It's good for squeaks, and it's supposed to prevent sticking in Winter.

12. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

soso you use... gummi pflege? xD