Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Brakes :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenEE

P1919 Reward Excellence!
May 27, 2010
Texas
Anyone else have squeeky brakes? I hate squeeky brakes and my S has them bad.

I usually try to avoid using the breaks but I just can't slow to a stop without some chirp or worse. I've also tried using them heavily in case its just film issue - no go. (I have a miata that squeeks the first stop of the day, but then is fine)

I haven't seen anyone else report it so I'm hoping it's not endemic to the S and I can get it fixed.

Anyone else have squeeky brakes? I hate squeeky brakes and my S has them bad.

I usually try to avoid using the breaks but I just can't slow to a stop without some chirp or worse. I've also tried using them heavily in case its just film issue - no go. (I have a miata that squeeks the first stop of the day, but then is fine)

I haven't seen anyone else report it so I'm hoping it's not endemic to the S and I can get it fixed.

My brakes have only squeaked once or twice in a month of driving. It definitely doesn't seem like a typical Model S problem so you should visit the service center ASAP.

In my experience you need to "clean" the rotors every now and then. Lack of use allows a film to build up which then squeaks (I'm sure someone has a better and more accurate technical description of that).

To clean: take the car out on a quiet road, speed up to about 50mph and (when it's safe to do so) stamp on the brakes. Hard enough to feel the traction control does the trick.

(IIRC, Doug_G and other Roadster owners suggested this way back when I got my Roadster and it's been a helpful tip ever since.)

I was having squeaky brakes, it was annoying. They were not super loud but present. I still get them when I first stop after a night in the garage. But it went away when I did about five 0-70mph-0 runs, back to back, in my car for some friends. With very firm brake pedal application, did I mention this car stops FAST. Since then it hasn't been a problem. I would make sure you get you rotors up to temperature, then do a hard brake or two. This seemed to solve the problems for me.

Thanks guys. I'll try even more aggressive stopping to clean the brakes and let you know how it goes. Probably not today though - it's raining!

Good test for ABS and stability control as well. :)

Mine developed a squeal in the brakes after the first few hundred miles, and I can confirm that some good hard stops now and then will fix it.

Thanks guys. I'll try even more aggressive stopping to clean the brakes and let you know how it goes. Probably not today though - it's raining!

I would make sure your brakes are warm, then do some hard stops. You can of course do some hard stops to heat up your brakes also.

My 0-70-0 runs were very close to popping the ABS, did pop the ABS on run 2 of 5. So very hard braking. They were about 30 seconds apart, I did them on the same stretch of road, the only real delay between them was turning the car around.

Mine squeal a tiny bit right as the car comes to a final stop. Sequence goes: approach red light, regen down to 10 mph, apply brakes to come to a complete stop, tiny squeal just as mph drop from 2 to 0.

After some heavy braking runs the squeal went away. For a few days...

I'll try bedding the brakes (several hard stops in a row). From past experience, that works even better in reverse.

Yes on the last point, as it tends to shift the brake pad fibers a bit more. If you have drum brakes (the Model S doesn't), it also triggers the self-adjusting mechanism for the brake shoes. I tell drivers to "go play in a parking lot in reverse". :)

This is typical behaviour for EV's with regenerative braking. The discs do not have to work a lot and don't get 'cleaned' by hard braking. The corrosion, rubble and/or film that gets a chance to setlle on the discs cause the noise. I had the same issue with my Fisker Karma. As others have said, doing some hard braking will usually solve the problem for a few days or weeks, or at least reduce it. Using the lower regen-setting will probably also help, but there goes your one pedal driving.

I've found the Model S brakes to be very quiet. And I'm using them in a horrible environment (massive amounts of salt). These brakes are WAY better than the Roadsters.

As others have said, a few hard stops should clean them up.

Mine squeal a tiny bit right as the car comes to a final stop. Sequence goes: approach red light, regen down to 10 mph, apply brakes to come to a complete stop, tiny squeal just as mph drop from 2 to 0.

After some heavy braking runs the squeal went away. For a few days...

Mine does the same, the final stop from 2 to 0. I'll need to do some heavy braking runs or more aggressive cornering.

The Model S uses high performance pads, which are by nature prone to squeaking. There was a thread on this awhile back (I couldn't find it with a quick search). This is just a problem you have with high end performance pads.

That said, all of the advice given is appropriate. If you hammer the brakes a couple of times it might clear it up for awhile, but because of regen it will come back quicker than otherwise. At any rate you might need to get used to it. Here is a post from a BMW M5 thread at BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog about the same issue -

If the M5 is like virtually every other performance car (including the M3), squeaking brakes are normal depending on ambient temperature, brake temperature, and how hard you're applying the brakes. Ceramics will make even more noise under road use, fyi.

Honestly, in this context squeaky brakes is a badge of honor. The Model S is distilled awesome, and thus it has squeaky brakes.

Every car I've ever driven for long periods ends up with squeaky brakes. Hammering the brakes a few times will, as everyone else said, usually get rid of it for a while.

I was told that I have an *extremely* light foot on the brake pedal.