Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky fan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no current fix for the fan squeaking as it spins down. Those fans run near continuously and they just make a little bit of noise. Nothing really to be concerned about.

It louder when spinning down, but it's definitely rubbing when on.

It seems the worst in the morning if I use the app to cool the car down while still plugged in. But I've also noticed some days when getting out of the car after a long drive.

I'm more concerned about the fan causing damage to whatever it is rubbing on or to itself, than I am about the slightly embarrassing squeaky noise.

There is no current fix for the fan squeaking as it spins down. Those fans run near continuously and they just make a little bit of noise. Nothing really to be concerned about.

Mine does not make a little bit of noise. It is incredibly loud. Loud enough to hear from inside the house when the car is charging and loud enough to hear from inside the car.

Took my P85 in for this same problem, service center in Costa Mesa, CA said they are aware of this problem and Tesla will be releasing a new part number in Nov./Dec. for this.. they know its a problem with the existing part. Nov/Dec in Tesla time means sometime around November or December 2019-2022 I guess.

LOL.

Mine does not make a little bit of noise. It is incredibly loud. Loud enough to hear from inside the house when the car is charging and loud enough to hear from inside the car.

Same here. I've had several occasions where some $20k cars parking asking me if the car had been hit before that's why it is making that noise. Not a good feeling after paying over 100K for a great car with sounds of a beater.

What about the acoustic blanket that was being installed per a TSB about 6 months ago? Did Tesla stop installing them?

Apparently they did because the SC in Costa Mesa seemed either unaware or not acknowledging when issue was brought to their attention.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I am sure that there are others sharing similar experience and thoughts... Over all, I love the car. It is definitely a great investment... at least for now. And because of these unresolved minor issues, I would probably find it hard to recommend to my family and friends.

I just had mine in for the yearly service today. It was very load. They "Installed A/C compressor acoustic cover." I ran the A/C for a bout 5 mins on full then turned it off. I could still hear the squeaking as it spun down but was definitely much more muffled. Not likely to use the A/C for a while now so I guess I won't worry much about it until next summer if it gets bad again.

Here's what showed up on my service invoice:

Concern: Customer States:• *extremely* noisy air conditioning. Especially noticeable when
getting out of the car after it has been running a while, it is very squeaky as it spins down. It's
so bad that I avoided using AC when possible.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis
Recommended installed A/C compressor acoustic cover.

Corrections: Install Acoustic Cover Only
Installed A/C compressor acoustic cover.

Part Quantity
MDL S, COMPRESSOR NVH COVER (1028988-00-A) 1
BRKT AC COMP TO AC BRKT (1006079-00-D) 1

What about the acoustic blanket that was being installed per a TSB about 6 months ago? Did Tesla stop installing them?

The acoustic blanket is not related to the fans. The blanket is to quiet the compressor itself. AFAIK, they are still doing the installation for anyone who doesn't have it already. I think cars have been shipping with them for a while now.

+1, let me add that I have been facing many cases with compressors, fans and other kind of vibrations that produce these unpleasant noises working with HVAC R&D Lab, taking it as a major priority due to the customer impact.

With a blanket you can solve entire or part of the problem, but if the problem comes from other source like fans, resonance, still the noise obviously. But what happen when is replaced all fans, installed compressor blanket and remains the noise after several visits? Easy, a disappointed customer.

Known that all noises are related to vibrations: compressor, fans, refrigerant pipes noise spread, chassis attachment noise conduction, Coils resonance, etc...
From my experience in this kind of issues, you must to be very effective solving in one shot this kind of problems, noise is one of more irritant defects, mostly in areas/customer that require more this system. R&D need to create a Noise KIT(Blanket, rubbers, barriers, new updated parts, install guide) for this kind of cases, solving all possible noise causes and sharing this bulletin to all service centers, being well prepared to.

I think Tesla have good teams working quickly to solve all kind of issues.

Last edited:
Has anyone attempted a self-fix on this? My 2016 MS has developed an obnoxiously squeaky fan up front - very noticeable when it spins down but audible all the time. Car is well out of warranty at this point so I'm not terribly motivated to throw a bunch of money at fixing a mild annoyance, but thought of trying some lithium grease or other home remedy if I had some assurance of effectiveness and an idea of how hard the thing is to get to.

Anyone have some guidance here?

Has anyone attempted a self-fix on this? My 2016 MS has developed an obnoxiously squeaky fan up front - very noticeable when it spins down but audible all the time. Car is well out of warranty at this point so I'm not terribly motivated to throw a bunch of money at fixing a mild annoyance, but thought of trying some lithium grease or other home remedy if I had some assurance of effectiveness and an idea of how hard the thing is to get to.

Anyone have some guidance here?

Just to follow up on your question!

This is starting to to drive me nuts so I decided to look into it. Maybe this will help somebody in the future. It was coming from the LH side so I looked up how to get to it in the service manual. Took off the wheel liner and confirmed it was the LH condenser fan.

Video of the problem:

There's 3 screws to separate the fan from the fan housing, but I can't get the housing off without removing the condenser and undoing the refrigerant line. It requires evacuating the refrigerant first and removing the AC connecting line which is beyond my DIY capabilities at this time. I don't see any other way of properly lubricating the fan.