Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

squirrel guard and tesla install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Pre-arranged, paid for and done at install"
Did they gave you this option, or did you ask for it ?
How much did they charge approx ?
My rep is not responsive, it will be a humongous task to get anything from tesla.
35 panel system across 2 roof sections. Had them add the pest abatement to the order before install, earlier this year. Cost was $1,500.

If you can't get intouch with youradvisor, just call the main number. Seems that the pricing is pretty standard, so it should be a "relatively" easy add to the contract.

The install team was very familiar with the mesh and did a great job adding to the panels. Mine is tucked underneath the skirts, so you can't even see it unless you stand in my yard at a certain angle to roof where you can see completely under all the panels.

Great info...thanks.
How is this different from the skirting shown in standard Tesla marketing photos?
The skirting is always applied. Pest abatement mesh can get attached to outer skirt, can be installed in between skirt and panel edge or in case of upper roof back side of panel array attached to just the panels. Zoom in on my two photos and you’ll see examples.

The skirt provides a more aesthetic finished look so you’re not looking at rails on the roof and air space between. The skirt is only applied to the sides of the panel array and front gutter edge. The back near roof line does not get a skirt. Not sure if for airflow or accessibility to panels for servicing or both but even with a skirt installed there is a small air gap along it and the roof surface. Panels can get very hot especially during summer temps when generating energy so you do want to maintain airflow. This however provides access for rodents and birds to go underneath (assume for shade, protection from hawks, or general “safe” nesting location from predators).

You can find a number of Youtube videos showing what a disgusting mess is created underneath the panels from animal activity. There’s health aspects of excrement sitting and building up under there, issues of cleaning it off when accumulated, plus animals affecting the wiring. You also don’t want the acids from the poop to affect your roof tiles surface.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: n.one.one
If you are really curious, there are numerous videos on YT of installing the mesh. Pretty much same materials and technique across the board regardless of installer.

Should mention that if you have curved roof tiles, pest abatement install is a much more time consuming install as the mesh needs to be individually cut out for each tile to reach down into the groove. So expect install pricing for labor and materials to be higher.

@n.one.one here’s a YT video from Bird Be Gone that I linked to before on a pigeon thread here. They are one of a number of mesh install suppliers. I think this video does a good job explaining what’s involved in an install and also shows attaching to panels on a Spanish curved tile roof.

That's really helpful.
In a Tesla installation does the mesh show as it does at the end of the video or do the Tesla skirts appear as the outer cosmetic layer.

That's really helpful.
In a Tesla installation does the mesh show as it does at the end of the video or do the Tesla skirts appear as the outer cosmetic layer.

Depends on how the installer works with it I guess, I’ve seen done both ways in various company’s videos. As I mentioned our install has both applications. We were their first in the area getting this done with this team so that could explain that too. Guess it depends on who trains them. Best answer I can give is ask your installer when he comes out how the mesh and skirts will be applied. Our solar team of 5-6 guys was very professional, worked well together and we found them approachable with the questions we had (our first ever solar roof).

I do like how Bird Be Gone video instructions fold the mesh at base and extends it outward on the roof. This would make it more noticeable sticking out forward from the panels however depending on your roof color since the mesh is black. Our flat tiles were light colored and our installers had the mesh meet the tiles. They also didn’t trim the hook wire at the anchor as in the video but bent it up over panel top edge and cut there. Might have made it easier to attach the skirt on top of mesh. Looks like this method would hold the anchor clip in place better. Also seems like it makes removing mesh easier if panel needs replacing if the “tail” can still be grabbed. Thought it was a clean look.

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one
Depends on how the installer works with it I guess, I’ve seen done both ways in various company’s videos. As I mentioned our install has both applications. We were their first in the area getting this done with this team so that could explain that too. Guess it depends on who trains them. Best answer I can give is ask your installer when he comes out how the mesh and skirts will be applied. Our solar team of 5-6 guys was very professional, worked well together and we found them approachable with the questions we had (our first ever solar roof).

I do like how Bird Be Gone video instructions fold the mesh at base and extends it outward on the roof. This would make it more noticeable sticking out forward from the panels however depending on your roof color since the mesh is black. Our flat tiles were light colored and our installers had the mesh meet the tiles. They also didn’t trim the hook wire at the anchor as in the video but bent it up over panel top edge and cut there. Might have made it easier to attach the skirt on top of mesh. Looks like this method would hold the anchor clip in place better. Also seems like it makes removing mesh easier if panel needs replacing if the “tail” can still be grabbed. Thought it was a clean look.

Random question, but how did you have people up on your flat tiles and not have them breaking tiles all over the place? I had a roofing inspection in 2019 and again a few weeks ago. Between then I had 32 broken tiles and the only work with people up on my roof were the solar folks. I'm surprised you had all the extra work with skirts, mesh, etc and they didn't just break every tile they stepped on hah.

Maybe 16 tiles break on average per year out of just existing? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Random question, but how did you have people up on your flat tiles and not have them breaking tiles all over the place? I had a roofing inspection in 2019 and again a few weeks ago. Between then I had 32 broken tiles and the only work with people up on my roof were the solar folks. I'm surprised you had all the extra work with skirts, mesh, etc and they didn't just break every tile they stepped on hah.

Maybe 16 tiles break on average per year out of just existing? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Our builder used Eagle Roofing cement tiles, California A1 fire rated Standard Weight, and a roof structure to support the weight is the best answer. There are lighter weight cement tiles, which Eagle also makes, which I’m sure cost less but my understanding and heard this from Tesla is that ours are the thicker variety. I know Tesla at one point was turning down jobs with lightweight tiles as opposed to having to replace broken ones. Don’t recall the color of ours because colored concrete does fade over the years but we have their “Bel Air” flat tiles.

Thankfully our developer went with the highest quality material. Roof quality isn’t something you think of when buying a house other than how many years life does it still have; and unless you are building a custom home what roof material is chosen is up to the developer. We had originally wanted a Spanish style concrete tile but our models elevation spec’d the flat. Having gone through solar panels and pest abatement install, solar panel cleaning and occasional seasonal maintenance inspections over the past 17 years with probably less than half dozen needing replacing, glad now we have the flat style and brand we have. No leaks. Some of our neighbors have had squirrels chew into the underside of the curved Spanish concrete tiles (they are “capped” to keep vermin out), and had family of squirrels nest in their attics. A worse problem than critters under your panels.

Here’s the company’s brochure our developer went with: https://eagleroofing.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EAGLE-CA-COMBINED-030321-singles-2-1.pdf

Our builder used Eagle Roofing cement tiles, California A1 fire rated Standard Weight, and a roof structure to support the weight is the best answer. There are lighter weight cement tiles, which Eagle also makes, which I’m sure cost less but my understanding and heard this from Tesla is that ours are the thicker variety. I know Tesla at one point was turning down jobs with lightweight tiles as opposed to having to replace broken ones. Don’t recall the color of ours because colored concrete does fade over the years but we have their “Bel Air” flat tiles.

Thankfully our developer went with the highest quality material. Roof quality isn’t something you think of when buying a house other than how many years life does it still have; and unless you are building a custom home what roof material is chosen is up to the developer. We had originally wanted a Spanish style concrete tile but our models elevation spec’d the flat. Having gone through solar panels and pest abatement install, solar panel cleaning and occasional seasonal maintenance inspections over the past 17 years with probably less than half dozen needing replacing, glad now we have the flat style and brand we have. No leaks. Some of our neighbors have had squirrels chew into the underside of the curved Spanish concrete tiles (they are “capped” to keep vermin out), and nested in their attics. A worse problem than critters under your panels.

Here’s the company’s brochure our developer went with: https://eagleroofing.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EAGLE-CA-COMBINED-030321-singles-2-1.pdf

Where the hell do you live that has squirrels that can chew threw S/W concrete spanish tiles???? These don't sound like normal squirrels lolol.

I just hope my roof lasts at least another... maybe 15 years? Then by then re-roof with new Tesla V8 solar tiles ...

Where the hell do you live that has squirrels that can chew threw S/W concrete spanish tiles???? These don't sound like normal squirrels lolol.

I just hope my roof lasts at least another... maybe 15 years? Then by then re-roof with new Tesla V8 solar tiles ...

Misunderstanding, not through the concrete tile but along the gutter area the filler that roofers use so there isn’t an open air gap in those curved Spanish tiles. Look up at those roofs and you’ll see where I’m talking about.

Misunderstanding, not through the concrete tile but along the gutter area the filler that roofers use so there isn’t an open air gap in those curved Spanish tiles. Look up at those roofs and you’ll see where I’m talking about.

Wow they're chewing through the bird stop on the S/W tiles and then chewing through the underlayment and decking? Still sounds like you have the worst squirrels on the planet...

309368display.jpg

Wow they're chewing through the bird stop on the S/W tiles and then chewing through the underlayment and decking? Still sounds like you have the worst squirrels on the planet...

309368display.jpg
Yep that’s how they got into the neighbor’s home that we know. Some people don’t think they can climb stucco walls but their very adept at that actually. Watched one climb our two story home with ease and turn and look down at me kind of hanging SpideyMan style upside down attached to the wall. Pretty funny until they do damage to your abode!

To answer question on can and do squirrels chew into your roof: “Squirrels can peel up your roof shingles and chew through your roof decking. They may tear holes in your roof soffit or fascia, damage your gutters, and then enter your home and wreak havoc. When they enter your attic, they may chew up electrical wiring, damage your insulation, and cause harm to the things you stored in your attic, thinking they would be safe and sound.”

Recently, my PV stopped producing. After the usual unproductive moron-a-thon on the phone with customer support, I was scheduled for onsite support.

Three weeks later, a tech finally shows up. He climbs onto the roof, pokes around the solar panels a bit, takes a few pictures and comes back down. "You have a squirrel problem," he says, and then shows me a photo of a squirrel nest tangled up in the wiring underneath one of the panels. I could swear that little rodent was grinning at me. I could even see a little cartoon bubble over its little varmint head, saying "I'm sorry, did you want these wires?"

I can't blame Tesla for the pest or the damage it inflicted on my PV. But I can still blame them for a whole hell of a lot of things:

1. Did Tesla ever warn me that squirrels and other pests could be a potential problem when I bought the system? No.

2. Did Tesla ever offer to install a pest abatement system, even at additional cost, when I bought the system? No.

Fast forward back to the present:

3. Did the tech then proceed to remove the squirrel nest? No.

4. Did the tech then proceed to repair the damaged wiring? No.

5. Did the tech then proceed to install a pest abatement kit, so as to prevent this from happening again? No

He did absolutely nothing.

Well, that's not exactly true. He DID give me a doorknob hang tag, of the "We're sorry we missed you" variety, with a customer service number - 888.765.2489 - circled in ink.

"Good luck!" he says, and he left.

Customer service was of very little help. All they did was refer me to an outfit called "Solar Maid." I completed an online form requesting pest abatement services. No one ever responded to my inquiry. I would have tried to follow up by phone, there is no telephone support number to be found.

After much hemming, hawing and squawking with customer service, I reached the point where Tesla agreed (for a fee, of course) to come out and repair the wiring. But - get this - they STILL refused to install a pest abatement system.

"What's the point of fixing all the wiring," I asked, "at significant cost, only to have the squirrels back 5 minutes after you leave, chewing on the wiring again?"

Answer: "I total [sic] understand your concern. Unfortunately, We don’t offer pest abatement. You will have to go through a third party."

MEANWHILE, there are discussions in this very thread about Tesla indeed offering pest abatement services. So it seems that even Tesla is multiple-personality-disordered when it comes to what services they offer, and whom they choose to offer them to.

I think the only lessons I've learned from all this:

1. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely get a pest abatement system installed, at the time of PV installation.
2. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose someone other than Tesla.

Recently, my PV stopped producing. After the usual unproductive moron-a-thon on the phone with customer support, I was scheduled for onsite support.

Three weeks later, a tech finally shows up. He climbs onto the roof, pokes around the solar panels a bit, takes a few pictures and comes back down. "You have a squirrel problem," he says, and then shows me a photo of a squirrel nest tangled up in the wiring underneath one of the panels. I could swear that little rodent was grinning at me. I could even see a little cartoon bubble over its little varmint head, saying "I'm sorry, did you want these wires?"

I can't blame Tesla for the pest or the damage it inflicted on my PV. But I can still blame them for a whole hell of a lot of things:

1. Did Tesla ever warn me that squirrels and other pests could be a potential problem when I bought the system? No.

2. Did Tesla ever offer to install a pest abatement system, even at additional cost, when I bought the system? No.

5. Did the tech then proceed to install a pest abatement kit, so as to prevent this from happening again? No

Well, that's not exactly true. He DID give me a doorknob hang tag, of the "We're sorry we missed you" variety, with a customer service number - 888.765.2489 - circled in ink.

Customer service was of very little help. All they did was refer me to an outfit called "Solar Maid." I completed an online form requesting pest abatement services. No one ever responded to my inquiry. I would have tried to follow up by phone, there is no telephone support number to be found.

After much hemming, hawing and squawking with customer service, I reached the point where Tesla agreed (for a fee, of course) to come out and repair the wiring. But - get this - they STILL refused to install a pest abatement system.

"What's the point of fixing all the wiring," I asked, "at significant cost, only to have the squirrels back 5 minutes after you leave, chewing on the wiring again?"

Answer: "I total [sic] understand your concern. Unfortunately, We don’t offer pest abatement. You will have to go through a third party."

MEANWHILE, there are discussions in this very thread about Tesla indeed offering pest abatement services. So it seems that even Tesla is multiple-personality-disordered when it comes to what services they offer, and whom they choose to offer them to.

1. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely get a pest abatement system installed, at the time of PV installation.
Wow, sorry to hear about this. That's ONE of the reasons I went with Sunrun. They installed a "critter guard" at time of the PV installation. Customer Service for the other reason.

I agree that Tesla is not likely interested in this work, it is not a moneymaker so they only do it during a deal if they have to sell it.

This product is pretty decent and looks ok, and should be compatible with most module frames. I think it should stick over the Zep channel that Tesla uses, though there will be less surface area I admit.

Pretty must any handyman should be able to install this in my humble opinion with some cleaner, a roller, a pair of tin snips and some time. Just be sure to shutdown the PV array, in case there is a fault in the wiring at least the MCI should open the circuit.

SolaTrim Pest Barrier for Solar Panels | Nixalite

• Informative
Reactions: no2gates
I agree that Tesla is not likely interested in this work, it is not a moneymaker so they only do it during a deal if they have to sell it.

This product is pretty decent and looks ok, and should be compatible with most module frames. I think it should stick over the Zep channel that Tesla uses, though there will be less surface area I admit.

Pretty must any handyman should be able to install this in my humble opinion with some cleaner, a roller, a pair of tin snips and some time. Just be sure to shutdown the PV array, in case there is a fault in the wiring at least the MCI should open the circuit.

SolaTrim Pest Barrier for Solar Panels | Nixalite
> I agree that Tesla is not likely interested in this work, it is not a moneymaker so they only do it during a deal if they have to sell it.

This could be true, but if Tesla had a shred of single-cell brain intelligence to let me know that pests were something I should even vaguely worry about, I WOULD HAVE WORRIED ABOUT IT, and I would have found someone to install an abatement system BEFORE those varmints chewed my wiring to bits.

Very strictly speaking, Tesla didn't do anything wrong (in terms of warning me about pests). But they SHOULD have warned me. That's the difference between GOOD customer service and BAD customer service (or even merely INDIFFERENT, INATTENTIVE customer service).

Like when you're buying a new (combustion-engined) car, and the salesperson warns you not to rev the engine too high for the first 1000 miles.

Or when you're purchasing a nice Swiss watch, and the salesperson warns you not to change the date mechanism between certain hours of the day, because that could damage the watch.

The lesson is:

WARN PEOPLE ABOUT S*** THEY SHOULD KNOW ABOUT!

Wow, sorry to hear about this. That's ONE of the reasons I went with Sunrun. They installed a "critter guard" at time of the PV installation. Customer Service for the other reason.
Props to Sunrun.

And just earlier today, I was talking to a friend who had his solar installed by Green Power Energy, and they actually came out after his installation and PROACTIVELY installed a pest abatement system, at NO EXTRA COST to him.

I am in the DC metro , and apparently squirrels are a big issue here, and chew things and damage solar
The local solar installers always charge extra and install squirrel guard ..what ever that is.
Mammals have teeth, and they use them

I was not informed / given a choice in Tesla install
Since Tesla install team is separate with no direct communication allowed , its not even something i am able to ask if it was included
Any comments ?

Is it installed in tesla systems ?
How can we get it ? can 3rd part install it , if tesla does not install
I rather pay for it now, vs have tesla downtime , and run around
Also what is covered in warranty. assuming squirrel damage in 3 years the system
I got a very good quote from Home - Solar Pest Solutions he is coming today to install critter guards.

I had very similar issue as urs. I found this guy Home - Solar Pest Solutions who is coming today to install pest abadement critrer guards.