Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ and Home Charger 220

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician adding a 220 line to my home for a Tesla Charger for my SR+. Is the new Gen 3 Charger from Tesla Ok to use with an SR+? I know that it is overkill for my car (just don’t want to hurt the car) and want to plan for future when we purchase a long range down the road.

I have an electrician adding a 220 line to my home for a Tesla Charger for my SR+. Is the new Gen 3 Charger from Tesla Ok to use with an SR+? I know that it is overkill for my car (just don’t want to hurt the car) and want to plan for future when we purchase a long range down the road.

Yes, it is fine. It the max charge rate is 32amps for your car, but the wall connector works fine with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Yes, all the Tesla connectors are compatible. It is foolproof, just like an electrical socket, but smarter.

The main advantage of the wall connector is how it looks and mounts to the wall. It also has future power sharing capabilities, is outdoor safe, and lets you keep your mobile connector in the car. The the extra 16% of charge speed for the LR is not the main selling point I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Wait. With the Wall Connector, the Model 3 charges at 48 amps doesn't it?
They use different sized onboard chargers in the car depending on the battery size they came with, so there isn't just one charging rate for the Model 3. The short range and mid range had an onboard charger that could only use 32 amp max. The long range batteries come with the 48 amp charger inside.