Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR displayed estimated range (not SR+)(not actual range)

SR displayed estimated range

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the current consensus is that Tesla “hid” approximately 4 kWh of battery capacity (12-16 miles of range) as a mileage buffer to stop people from running it empty. The same amount of loss has happened to a large percentage of us in the past six weeks or so

It seems like the current consensus is that Tesla “hid” approximately 4 kWh of battery capacity (12-16 miles of range) as a mileage buffer to stop people from running it empty. The same amount of loss has happened to a large percentage of us in the past six weeks or so

Buffer is closer to 3kwh and has always been there (maybe bigger or smaller but not by much). This is a different issue with the BMS estimate being lower with recent software updates.

Buffer is closer to 3kwh and has always been there (maybe bigger or smaller but not by much). This is a different issue with the BMS estimate being lower with recent software updates.

That’s what I thought too, but it seems like everyone lost the same amount of rated miles at the same time, and it’s still not corrected 3 software versions later. It seems like that’s gotta be intentional.

That’s what I thought too, but it seems like everyone lost the same amount of rated miles at the same time, and it’s still not corrected 3 software versions later. It seems like that’s gotta be intentional.

It varies quite a bit, with a sizeable minority having lost almost no miles even on latest software, and another minority losing more than average miles (5% seems normal, but some have over 10% and again some have close to 0%).

Also the start of this seems to coincide with some battery management changes in June time period on older model S which capped their top voltage (much bigger reduction in miles), possibly due to a couple of battery fire incidents. No voltage capping on model 3 that anyone can tell so it may just be BMS changes for us.

Same. I had 15k miles on my SR+, and got 238 at 100%. The day they downgraded me, I was down to 209 @ 100%, and I’m now hovering around 205 5k miles later.
That is just so wrong. I am not understanding the mindset of Tesla. They act as though we wouldn’t notice? They really need to explain themselves.

On my sr+ of 3,500 miles, I am down to 230 but popped up to 232 on recent upgrade. I really don’t care about the 5% power increase. I just want the range as described when they sold me the car.

I have Never filed any litigation in my entire life. But if I keep losing range due to Tesla’s shenanigans, I guess they will be my first attempt.

Reactions: jrcase and smashcz
I have Never filed any litigation in my entire life. But if I keep losing range due to Tesla’s shenanigans, I guess they will be my first attempt.

Have you actually lost range, or is the range estimate just inaccurate?

As far as litigation you have two main hurdles:
  1. The Model 3 battery warranty only covers maintaining 70% of the stated range. (So once your range drops below 168 they should repair/replace your battery.)
  2. You would have to prove the actual range lost. (Not just show the estimated range displayed in the car.) I would think that this would require driving the car from 100% until it stopped in a test procedure. (Since the stated range is based on the EPA 5-cycle test.)

Same. I had 15k miles on my SR+, and got 238 at 100%. The day they downgraded me, I was down to 209 @ 100%, and I’m now hovering around 205 5k miles later.

That is just so wrong. I am not understanding the mindset of Tesla. They act as though we wouldn’t notice? They really need to explain themselves.
I'm pretty sure @lateulade authorized the voluntary downgrade - several people took advantage of this (not sure what they got in return).

I guarantee the only winner in this will be the lawyers. You won't get anywhere with this because there is no case.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Have you actually lost range, or is the range estimate just inaccurate?

As far as litigation you have two main hurdles:
  1. The Model 3 battery warranty only covers maintaining 70% of the stated range. (So once your range drops below 168 they should repair/replace your battery.)
  2. You would have to prove the actual range lost. (Not just show the estimated range displayed in the car.) I would think that this would require driving the car from 100% until it stopped in a test procedure. (Since the stated range is based on the EPA 5-cycle test.)

I have this issue with my sr+ when it was under 3000 miles. That would be considered almost new. There are lemon laws and when other similar sr+ are not suffering this issue you bet I have a possible legitimate argument. I babied this car. I only supercharged it twice and have a total average of 205 on this car. You don’t get it that low unless you are driving it sparingly without flooring it. My previous car was a Mustang GT so i know what it is like whip a car around doing 0-60 in 4.*. I don’t do that with my M3.

i will take it to service, hear the song and dance about nothing they can do. I then will call the corporate office and listen to the song and dance that there is nothing they can do. Then I will petition and file a complaint Consumer Protection in the state. Perhaps by that time there may even be enough of disgruntled owners to file a group lawsuit.

Reactions: jrcase
folks are so fixated only the displayed range. My ICE car would fluctuated from 950km to 600km on a tank depending on a multitude of circumstances. Doubt very much there are many posts about that in the ICE forum.....
I'm sure there are a few "lemons" but imagine they are a minor % as with all manufacturers.
Enjoy your awesome ride if you really have an issue you will be looked after when the time comes.....and it's not 3 or 6 months out IMO
LOVE my SR+ & I'm in Canada and have lost tons of range with the onset of winter, I expected it...not worried and am looking forward to increased range starting this spring...
Two reasons I bought this car #1 cheaper cost of ownership #2 doing my part fighting global warming... reduced range do to age of battery & weather is the price I'm willing to pay.

• Disagree
Reactions: smashcz
folks are so fixated only the displayed range. My ICE car would fluctuated from 950km to 600km on a tank depending on a multitude of circumstances. Doubt very much there are many posts about that in the ICE forum.....
I'm sure there are a few "lemons" but imagine they are a minor % as with all manufacturers.
Enjoy your awesome ride if you really have an issue you will be looked after when the time comes.....and it's not 3 or 6 months out IMO
LOVE my SR+ & I'm in Canada and have lost tons of range with the onset of winter, I expected it...not worried and am looking forward to increased range starting this spring...
Two reasons I bought this car #1 cheaper cost of ownership #2 doing my part fighting global warming... reduced range do to age of battery & weather is the price I'm willing to pay.

You're not understanding the issue here, we are not talking about real range, we all know we get much less range real driving. If you want to bring up ICE cars, it's like if your car would have 10 gallon tank and everyone else would have 12. But in gas cars it doesn't really matter anyway, with EVs it matters.

Or perhaps, like me, they don't worry about this kind of detail. There are plenty of threads on this forum talking about charge, degradation, and why none of this really matters - the truth is just not that simple.

YMMV