Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
220 miles range, no fog lights, presumably .3 seconds slower but I have no way to confirm that. Immersive sound was still available (On/Off only) but it’s possible that still may get removed since the spec sheet says it is not included. And we didn’t purchase AP. Otherwise they are the exact same car.
Thank you, Immersive sound is not so crucial for me, same with fog lights, .3 seconds means no difference for my tastes and 20 miles are no difference for my daily use.
Now I hope I’ll be able to downgrade and get a refund and use the money to buy AP.

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I love this thread. I recall when Model 3 first became available there were a few posts here from some snobbish S and X owners bemoaning the fact Teslas were now going to be available to low class buyers. Based on this thread, I guess they were right! :D

Following closely behind are the people who paid $70K for a Performance Model 3 last year and can’t bear to see that people who bought a $35K SR now have a car that looks exactly the same as theirs and have to put a badge on their car to make sure everyone knows how much they paid for it.

Some of these people are just pathetic. My biggest complaint on buying this car is being apart of this entitled community. I stopped even recommending the car to anyone on social media. I don’t want to have to defend idiots.
I agree mostly but most people aren’t on forums to be exposed to it. I still recommend to all my friends.

It's interesting that your quotes ARE NOT FROM TESLA BUT FROM AN OUTSIDE SOURCE. Unfortunate that Tesla didn't put the info clearly on their website and their sales people had no idea! (I was told by one I couldn't buy SR unelss I had put down an deposit years ago, another said it had cloth seats, etc.)

Well Tesla did have the info on the SR up for a while on their site before they announced that version would only be available to order offline. I saw it on their site and others here did too.

Here's an article from Electrek on 2/28, same date as the GreenCarReports article you wanted to slam for not being from Tesla...and I can probably find more articles from other publications (not worth my time) reporting the same exact thing on the versions (reporters didn't just make this up, it came from Tesla). It's clear from both articles that Tesla made a public announcement about the SR and SR+ indicating things like the lower accelertion on the SR version. This article says an email was first sent to the stores so depending on when you said you asked at your store they might not have received it yet and deciminated among staff. But it most certainly was a "known" thing and out there.

Tesla finally launches standard Model 3 for $35,000 - Electrek

As for being told about SR having cloth seats, that was true. The SR was always intended to have cloth, manual positioning seats. And just like for all the other models, production and delivery of the SR version was to go to early reservation holders first and they probably couldn't say when non-reservation, late comers to ordering would get one.

As Tesla got closer to delivery availabilty, they came out and said from a production/cost standpoint at that point in time it didn't make sense to fabricate those seats for the fewer orders they were getting for the SR version, so that model would be getting some of the SR+ interior equipment instead (this included 12-way power positionable premium seats, center console with docking for 2 phones for example). SR was never intended to have heated front seats you know and I wonder if the heating will be deactivated.

The fact that some people who ordered the SR are complaining that Tesla is now in a position to remedy the inequity between SR+ purchasers and SR purchasers to some degree with software that is now ready to enable the reconfiguring (no they are not coming out to remove your seats) and these owners aren't happy about it, just smacks...well not sure of what. There are days I read these threads and wonder if Tesla regrets trying to manufacture the Model 3 and get the price down for people buying at the lower end.

So did you order an SR model and have been enjoying some of the features you didn't pay for for a few months? Do you seriously think you should keep them without paying for them?

Actually looking at that Monroney sticker a few pages back I see no mention of heated seats, immersive sound or fog lamps. There is a note of the estimated 240 mile range though. From the article at electrek the person who received the first software-locked at the end of May had the heated seats and immersive sound but not the fog lamps. It mentioned that range was limited to 220 miles but didn't provide a picture showing the battery page.

If Tesla keeps getting nagged with the threat of legal action by people who knew what they were getting into while staying true to the Monroney sticker I could see them taking away the heated seats (or limiting it to one setting), immersive sound, fog lamps and make the 240 mile range limit available as something like an emergency reserve where you might have to go to a supercharger and pay an emergency use fee.

AP trials are currently on hold for all cars but when they start up again I expect the SR/SR+ models, along with all of the other models, to have AP trials offered. I was in the middle of a trial when it abruptly got cancelled without notice. Tesla said something about needing to reconfigure it and it will start up again when they are ready.

There are a lot of new idiotic Tesla owners, and this is expected with the mass release of the lower end cheaper 3's. There should be zero reason for SR owners to complain about because the specs were spelled out when they purchased the car, and they took delivery of a vehicle that had extra features that weren't paid for. If you want the + features, then pay for the SR+.

Thank you, Immersive sound is not so crucial for me, same with fog lights, .3 seconds means no difference for my tastes and 20 miles are no difference for my daily use.
Now I hope I’ll be able to downgrade and get a refund and use the money to buy AP.

Don't understand. Why would you want to downgrade to use the money to then buy AP, I'm willing to bet that even if they'll offer an optional upgrade to AP later it will be more than the downgrade amount. Most people who have to drive in highway traffic really love at least the TACC if they don't use Autosteer.

Last edited:
It's interesting that your quotes ARE NOT FROM TESLA BUT FROM AN OUTSIDE SOURCE. Unfortunate that Tesla didn't put the info clearly on their website and their sales people had no idea! (I was told by one I couldn't buy SR unelss I had put down an deposit years ago, another said it had cloth seats, etc.)

The SR was supposed to have a reduced interior with cloth seats. Tesla ended up having to ship better cars for SRs than originally intended.

Don't understand. Why would you want to downgrade to use the money to then buy AP, I'm willing to bet that even if they'll offer an optional upgrade to AP later it will be more than the downgrade amount. Most people who have to drive in highway traffic really love at least the TACC if they don't use Autosteer.
My car doesn't have AP since I'm one of the persons that ordered the SR+ before the announcement of the line-up upadate including AP mandatory.
I would downgrade because the SR was my original choice anyhow. On top of that in theory the amount for the downgrade in my case could be 2500, while AP is 3000 so it would cost me only 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.