Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why people are so negative about things. If you payed for a standard range and got the SR+ features for a limited time then got downgraded you should be happy you got to use them at no cost for that period of time. What is legal and what is weight are often different. I don't know or care about the legality of the downgrade. You are getting what you paid for. This doesn't affect me but the price cut did. It didn't make me unhappy. I am glad for those that were able to get a better price. I got the car I agreed to buy for the price I agreed to pay. Why should I be unhappy someone got a better price? Life is too short to get upset about these things.

I don't understand why people are so negative about things. If you payed for a standard range and got the SR+ features for a limited time then got downgraded you should be happy you got to use them at no cost for that period of time. What is legal and what is weight are often different. I don't know or care about the legality of the downgrade. You are getting what you paid for. This doesn't affect me but the price cut did. It didn't make me unhappy. I am glad for those that were able to get a better price. I got the car I agreed to buy for the price I agreed to pay. Why should I be unhappy someone got a better price? Life is too short to get upset about these things.
If all the buyers were clearly given identical/uniform/correct information what SR will be, there would be no confusion/complaint/argument.
The reality is the information given was often wrong/contradicting/inconsistent.

In my case, I was told at the Tesla store by the Tesla employees that SR will not have heated front seats.

Last edited:
If all the buyers were clearly given identical/uniform/correct information what SR will be, there would be no confusion/complaint/argument.
The reality is the information given was often wrong/contradicting/inconsistent.

In my case, I was told at the Tesla store by the Tesla employees that SR will not have heated front seats.

And that could still be true. Heaters operate via software. The SR was never suppose to get heated front seats.

And that could still be true. Heaters operate via software. The SR was never suppose to get heated front seats.
but there are other sources of info that indicate SR comes with heated front seats.
So the information provided to SR shoppers was not consistent. That lead a lot of people to spend more money than they would have with correct, consistent info.

I thought I had taken a screen shot from the Tesla website of the features each level came with. I found it. This was posted there even as late March 25, the date captured on my iPhone when the photo was taken. As you can see comparing the SR and SR+, only the SR+ came with heated seats listed. SR had only Basic audio (no immersive), no LED fog lamps, no docking for phones, only manual seat and steering adjustments. And it was to have the cloth seats. Thanks to wanting to get cars out to people who had waited a long time for the base car, Tesla gave the more expensive seats to them instead of making them wait longer for those manual cloth covered seats they were intended to have.

People who wanted the heated seats ordered the SR+ for that reason.

2229C1A2-0B72-47B5-8713-9E3AD755D33E.png

Last edited:
I thought I had taken a screen shot from the Tesla website of the features each level came with. I found it. This was posted there even as late March 25, the date captured on my iPhone when the photo was taken. As you can see comparing the SR and SR+, only the SR+ came with heated seats listed. SR had only Basic audio (no immersive), no LED fog lamps, no docking for phones, only manual seat and steering adjustments.

View attachment 417271

Yes, that’s correct. The cloth seats were never intended to be heated seats. When they changed the SR to have the vegan leather seats the communication was very murky. It wasn’t until the trim comparison sheet was distributed in April that we knew for sure that they had decided to add heated front seats to the SR model.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
This was taken from the April 11 update from Tesla.

View attachment 417278

The comparison sheet posted a few pages back by you ( SR downgrade finally coming! ) doesn’t have any Official Tesla text on it. To me it looks like something I saw in one of the EV car publications trying to sort out features for people.
But SR+ doesn't have streaming music and live traffic.
So even that document is full of incorrect information. and no mention of 0-60 times.
I would discredit it entirely.

The SR was supposed to have a reduced interior with cloth seats. Tesla ended up having to ship better cars for SRs than originally intended.

Yes I know, but the SALESPEOPLE did not - at least a month after it had been reported by sources outside Tesla - how hard could it be for Tesla to SIMPLY PUT THE SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON THEIR WEBSITE CORRECTLY rather than putting it up for a short while then taking it down and making us rely on uninformed/lying salespeople? Or for salespeople to read these and other outside sources so they know what customers real life experiences are?
fyi - when I had placed an order with a sales person to try to make sure my order was correct -
1 I was told I could NOT get a receipt for the deposit or a print out of what I contracted for - could only see it online
2 When I could see it online it did NOT have any specific info about what was included but
3 Due to an error by the SA I got an email from someone about further info they needed and the order they sent me - was for the SR with an added 3K for AP which I specifically did NOT order. I was able to delete this online. When I emailed the SA he had no idea what I was talking about and asked if I wanted to add AP??????????????????
I felt like I was Alice in Wonderland - where words mean what the speaker wants them to mean :(

That April comparison sheet actually matches up almost exactly with the first software-locked SRs delivered in late May, the only difference I see is that the immersive sound toggle is still present on the locked SR. According to the electrek article the heated seats are still there, the fog lamp option is gone and the range maxes out at 220 miles.

That's pretty much what the April sheet promised and I expect people will soon be getting the same software. If there's any delay it'll probably be because Tesla won't be able to figure out how to do the SR -> SR+ upgrade, but since it involves taking your money rather than issuing refunds they probably won't be as clumsy about it as they were with the reverse downgrade. The current price difference between the two models is $4000 and I expect the upgrade will cost that much but who knows, if they want some end-of-quarter cash they may do something like throw the upgrade in if you buy the Autopilot package before July 1.

Of all the (surprisingly few) features they're going to disable, Tesla might want to reconsider stripping the SRs of the fog lamps - if someone in a software-locked SR were in a serious accident in foggy weather it would look bad, to put it mildly. Even if the absence of fog lamps would not have made a difference the press would jump on it as another "Tesla is trying to kill you" story. Limiting luxury or convenience features is one thing, intentionally disabling an item that's there for safety is another matter.

Yes I know, but the SALESPEOPLE did not - at least a month after it had been reported by sources outside Tesla - how hard could it be for Tesla to SIMPLY PUT THE SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON THEIR WEBSITE CORRECTLY rather than putting it up for a short while then taking it down and making us rely on uninformed/lying salespeople? Or for salespeople to read these and other outside sources so they know what customers real life experiences are?
fyi - when I had placed an order with a sales person to try to make sure my order was correct -
1 I was told I could NOT get a receipt for the deposit or a print out of what I contracted for - could only see it online
2 When I could see it online it did NOT have any specific info about what was included but
3 Due to an error by the SA I got an email from someone about further info they needed and the order they sent me - was for the SR with an added 3K for AP which I specifically did NOT order. I was able to delete this online. When I emailed the SA he had no idea what I was talking about and asked if I wanted to add AP??????????????????
I felt like I was Alice in Wonderland - where words mean what the speaker wants them to mean :(

The sales staff have been known to not always be accurate. It’s definitely a problem. I have found that I know more about the vehicles than they do. It’s even worse when I talk to a sales rep at dealerships for another manufacturer in regards to EVs.

Here's an even better / more complete picture of the official printed document from Tesla. You can see at the bottom that it has a 2019 Tesla Copyright and with much more complete / detailed information at the top.

So even this is misleading/ incorrect - some of the "options" that are checked require extra payment (black or WHITE) interior while most don't - how hard is it to get correct info out ?????
AND it lists navigation with live traffic updates for the standard - which as I understand is NOT AVAILABLE EVEN WITH EXTRA PAYMENT

come on Tesla get your act together!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Status
Not open for further replies.