Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ impressions after the first 3000kms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CE9F5678-CB40-490D-8D7B-1C6E0EBF3556.jpeg

It’s now been two months and I’ve travelled 3000kms in my SR+, and I thought I would try to capture some of my thoughts and experience with the car.

The transition to the Tesla way of doing things has been easier than I had imagined, interestingly the multifunction stalks required more thought and practice than the single screen interface. There is a lot of thought and engineering that has gone into the user experience that contributes to the delight of driving the car and that helps you overlook the flaws of the vehicle. I’ve gotten a lot of joy from the subtle little solutions that the Tesla engineers have conjured up, from the way the vehicle Hold engages and releases smoothly and flawlessly, to the design of the air vents that use a jet of air to change the elevation of their direction.

The car is engaging to drive, and any drive is dominated by that immediate mountain of instant torque, which most passengers can’t believe is from the slowest Tesla on the market. Far less shouty is it’s handling, and whilst the electric steering isn’t the most communicative, does let you enjoy a traditional RWD experience that’s enhanced by the car’s low centre of gravity. All that mass down low however does make itself felt during braking and to a lesser extent in the ride which is comfortable without being plush. You can feel that this is a heavy car, and even with the assistance of the regenerative braking, particularly on downhill sections, on any mildly spirited drive you find yourself digging in for more assistance from the brake pedal like you would in a luxury spec SUV.

B59B420B-B1B9-454D-8A19-3C4B986B759E.jpeg

Whilst there is a long list of first rate things that the car does like the excellent headlights or the smoothness of progress with electric drive, there remain some flaws that remind you that it’s impossible to find perfection (and please everyone). By far the most frustrating aspect has been the TACC, with far too many phantom braking events than would be found in a first generation AEB from ten years ago. The formula for stopping and taking off again seems to be back to front, and I would much prefer it if it would brake gently / cautiously to a stop and then be more aggressive in keeping the gap to the car in front constant when moving off. Instead the car performs a P Plateresque late braking manoeuvre into stopped traffic and then moves away from a stop too slowly.

With the amount of information online and resources like this forum, I’ve found it very easy to transition into the electric car way of doing things. Adopting tactics like showing the battery percentage instead of kms, getting comfortable with running it down to lower percentages, testing out different local chargers, and understanding the mindshift of a top up charging strategy from the old way of filling up the tank when on road trips all contribute to reducing the reality of range anxiety. The reality is that the battery has enough range to get me to any number of charging locations, and can go for longer than my bladder can on any road trip.

There has been some change required, but it’s been easy and the end result has been a lot better. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a car this much (I didn’t even mention how comfortable the front seats are), and that was such a joy to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this pic my passenger took while diriving up and down Cambewarra mountain near Kangaroo Valley last year. It shows how much energy generation and consumption changes going up and down very steep hills.

The onscreen energy chart maxes out at 600 Wh/km consumption and 200 Wh/km generation.

Going Sydney to Canberra is just like this, but over a much longer horizontal distance 😄

View attachment 755448
That’s awesome! Can’t wait to get into this data!

1 month owner and 1400kms here and I found that changing the battery to km is better for me as I can roughly gauge how far I can push the car before needing to charge. I realised that I get range anxiety when it is in percentage since I don't know how far more it can go but changing to KM and knowing the distance of my travel puts me in ease. I think the lowest I went with percentage was around 25% before I panic to find a charging station while the lowest KM I have reached is 50km which is close to 10%.
you should panic when the range is 0%, not 10% or 20%. That is the issue.

Reactions: mike_j
We did a similar trip (Blue mountains to Canberra) fairly often before COVID, and will soon do it for the first time in the model 3. Looking forward to using some of my free charging kms before they run out, at Goulburn. The place we normally stay (Realm hotel) has Tesla destination charging too, so looking forward to using that too!

Using autopilot on a longer trip will be good as well. TBH, just getting out of the house for a weekend will seem like a novelty!

If you're going to Canberra in an SR+ and you want some charge left to do something when you're in Canberra, you need to at least grab a cuppa at the North Goulburn gateway servo (Chargefox). Or use the supercharger - but only if you have free credits, or if Chargefox is full.

Tesla's lethargic supercharger rollout in NSW is disgraceful. I drive that route every weekend, and I'd rather spend my charging dollar supporting the businesses that are actually investing in the infrastructure we all need. Besides, it's a bit of a hike from the Supercharger to, well, anywhere. At least the servo sells sandwiches and coffee.

But if the goal is merely to reach here, you can charge up at Mittagong RSL (risky - charger busy), or Picton (risky - no nearby AC if DC is faulty), or Campbelltown UWS (risky - not sure about how public this public charger is). In my 1/2020 Fremont SR+ with 141,004km, I can make it if I push the car well above 95% at Evie Bankstown (thankfully it's right near the Revesby on-ramp to the M5), but only if there isn't any rain or headwinds. Your newer model with fewer kms probably has better range.

Though my personal favourite is to use Chargefox Shell Cove, and then climb Macquarie Pass with gusto. Shell Cove to Canberra in an SR+ isn't enough to even break a sweat.

It'd be fantastic if there were charging options slightly more convenient to the highway. Marulan or Sutton Forest. Whenever I detour into Goulburn it's a half-hour rabbit hole of 60km/h streets, a stop for food, plus any charging time. Northbound there's a cheap and nasty take away curry place next door to South Maccas that I just can't not stop at, even if they don't even start cooking your naan before they've finished dishing up your curry (time wasting!). Southbound I either have to double-back from a food stop in town to return to Chargefox, or overpay to use the Supercharger, or buy food at Marulan and hope it doesn't get too cold in the 15 minutes it takes to get to North Goulburn Chargefox. Unfortunately both the Hep-A Jacks at Marulan operate on unbelievably limited hours nowadays, and my driving hours are weird and unpredictable, so I know my options and figure out which works best on the day.

Tesla's lethargic supercharger rollout in NSW is disgraceful.

Granted Tesla has only added Maclean and Macquarie in the last two years (after five openings in 2019) and a few Q4 2021 misses (Sydney Central, Sydney East and Wollongong, plus Kirrawee) but installing those and those listed for 2022 (Armidale, Holbrook, Tenterfield, Taree, Newcastle, And likely Blaxland, Yass) will be huge growth.

But as it is today Tesla have 100 ultrafast (100+ kW) stalls in NSW over 17 sites.

No-one else comes close.

Chargefox is I think 9 350kW sites and 17 stalls installed with a few down at the moment.
And Evie 5 350kW sites and 10 stalls.
And I don't think either added to 350kW network in NSW in 2021, focussing instead on slower 50kW chargers.

If you aren't driving a Tesla you are spending a lot more time charging at 50kW chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: David G
If you're going to Canberra in an SR+ and you want some charge left to do something when you're in Canberra, you need to at least grab a cuppa at the North Goulburn gateway servo (Chargefox). Or use the supercharger - but only if you have free credits, or if Chargefox is full.

Tesla's lethargic supercharger rollout in NSW is disgraceful. I drive that route every weekend, and I'd rather spend my charging dollar supporting the businesses that are actually investing in the infrastructure we all need. Besides, it's a bit of a hike from the Supercharger to, well, anywhere. At least the servo sells sandwiches and coffee.

But if the goal is merely to reach here, you can charge up at Mittagong RSL (risky - charger busy), or Picton (risky - no nearby AC if DC is faulty), or Campbelltown UWS (risky - not sure about how public this public charger is). In my 1/2020 Fremont SR+ with 141,004km, I can make it if I push the car well above 95% at Evie Bankstown (thankfully it's right near the Revesby on-ramp to the M5), but only if there isn't any rain or headwinds. Your newer model with fewer kms probably has better range.

Though my personal favourite is to use Chargefox Shell Cove, and then climb Macquarie Pass with gusto. Shell Cove to Canberra in an SR+ isn't enough to even break a sweat.

It'd be fantastic if there were charging options slightly more convenient to the highway. Marulan or Sutton Forest. Whenever I detour into Goulburn it's a half-hour rabbit hole of 60km/h streets, a stop for food, plus any charging time. Northbound there's a cheap and nasty take away curry place next door to South Maccas that I just can't not stop at, even if they don't even start cooking your naan before they've finished dishing up your curry (time wasting!). Southbound I either have to double-back from a food stop in town to return to Chargefox, or overpay to use the Supercharger, or buy food at Marulan and hope it doesn't get too cold in the 15 minutes it takes to get to North Goulburn Chargefox. Unfortunately both the Hep-A Jacks at Marulan operate on unbelievably limited hours nowadays, and my driving hours are weird and unpredictable, so I know my options and figure out which works best on the day.
A charger at Macca's Sutton Forrest would be good, I agree.

I reckon Heatherbrae's should put one in as we stop there every time :D

A set of chargers at either Hungry Jacks or the BP Marulan would be ideal.

Apart from the Chargefox Cooma site, Tesla are the only ones who've installed anything faster than 50kW off the Hume / Sydney / Pacific route. That said, I'll use whatever charger is most convenient (heading from Woolgoolga to Canberra on the weekend, I used Evie at Taree and Seven Hills because that looked like it'd be the fastest overall routing).

I hear good things about the Roses Cafe at Goulburn (there's quite a few cafes around there), and the kids enjoy running around at the park opposite the Supercharger when we charge there.

What are peoples' experiences at Tesla chargers?
Of the dozens of charges I've had from the supercharger network I've never had to wait or queue, and only once had to move the car because it wouldn't drink from one stall - and I suspect that was newbie finger trouble anyway.
The stories I see about other chargers here, in the UK and US make ghastly reading, and can't be helping wean people off ICEs.

Apart from the Chargefox Cooma site, Tesla are the only ones who've installed anything faster than 50kW off the Hume / Sydney / Pacific route.
Chargefox Shell Cove & Moe (Princes Highway)

Evie Coochin Creek & Townsville (Bruce Highway)

Chargefox Murray Bridge & Evie Tailem Bend (Princes Highway)

Chargefox Keith (Dukes Highway)

Chargefox Horsham and Ballarat (Western Highway)

Chargefox Torquay (Great Ocean Road)

Chargefox West Perth & Australind (Forrest Highway)

Chargefox Launceston & Evie Westbury, Campbell Town and Brighton (Midland Highway)

What are peoples' experiences at Tesla chargers? Of the dozens of charges I've had from the supercharger network I've never had to wait or queue

I’ve personally never had to wait, but there’s a recent photo on Plugshare of Heatherbrae with a full house (6 cars) and one waiting.

Rcently at Karuah I was part of a full house and a Model 3 arriving had to wait about 5 minutes for an Ioniq 5 to finish.

It’s probably also happened at Broadway, which on the app I’ve seen 8 out of 8 occupied - although there are also 3 Tesla destination chargers there (legacy mode so other cars can use them), 2 EVlink AC chargers and a 3-phase socket, so decent overflow capacity.

There’s also checkins at Broadway from people really cheesed at Teslas using these and not the Superchargers, because while Model 3s can plug in anywhere, they can’t (yet?….) so they think the Tesla owners are being arrogant entitled tightarses hogging the free charging.

With Model 3 outselling the next BEV in Australia by a factor of more than 10-to-1, and more Model 3s on the way, expect currently very rare DCFC congestion to increase.

Chargefox Shell Cove & Moe (Princes Highway)

Evie Coochin Creek & Townsville (Bruce Highway)

Chargefox Murray Bridge & Evie Tailem Bend (Princes Highway)

Chargefox Keith (Dukes Highway)

Chargefox Horsham and Ballarat (Western Highway)

Chargefox Torquay (Great Ocean Road)

Chargefox West Perth & Australind (Forrest Highway)

Chargefox Launceston & Evie Westbury, Campbell Town and Brighton (Midland Highway)
You were talking about NSW specifically!

(And I consider Shell Cove basically part of the Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong conurbation).

It’s a shame they don’t go in for pass through sites, where you drive in, charge and drive forward and out. It obviously takes more space, but when there are more vehicles on the road it’s far more convenient.
Couple that with a queuing line - like a bank - so that the first in the line can drive into the first departing car’s charger and you have a much more efficient charging site. Not so much of an iss now, but fast forward five years and changeover efficiency is going to be a prime concern.