Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ RWD to LR AWD Itemized Cost Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mardak

Oct 13, 2018
USA
The cost difference today between SR+ and LR is $9000 for these items:

+ Rear heated seats: $300
+ 11 months Premium Connectivity: $110 ($9.99/mo)
+ Interior floor mats: $95
+ Front motor: $4000 (2019/02/28 AWD $47k - RWD $43k)
+ Premium audio + fog lamps: $995?
+ 21kWh battery: $3500?

For reference, MR to LR cost difference was $3000 but for 13kWh at $230/kWh when it was discontinued in March, so perhaps Tesla has improved their battery costs over the last year to $167/kWh. If this $/kWh is accurate, then the 54 kWh in SR+ is now $9k out of the $39,990 price.

Anyone have better cost estimates? Do these prices seem reasonable or might lead to some upcoming changes?

Yeah, for people on both sides of SR vs LR, is there value in getting or not getting certain features based on the itemization.

Might also be useful for comparing the costs against other vehicles or batteries of other electric vehicles. E.g., Audi's e-tron 55 quattro with 95kWh starts at €80,900 vs e-tron 50 quattro with 71kWh starts at €69,100, so over $500/kWh. Audi probably introduced the 50 for those not needing longer range because their battery costs significantly restrict who can afford it.

Do you think SR+ can ever have a battery upgrade option, say five years down the line?

I would love that option. Honestly if I could get an official upgrade now for ~$3000 to $4000 I would seriously consider it. (Trade in old pack + upgrade cost)

I know some 3rd party shops might tackle this eventually... but I want to keep supercharger support and have the nav and range estimation all officially upgraded and supported.

Edit: I’ve debated private sales or exploring trade values against a used LR RWD with 10 to 20k miles on it.... but I hate to give up that ~$2500 PPF and tint I’ve put on the car

Reactions: youngmcdonald
So where I live (Vancouver, BC), the SR and SR+ qualify for Provincial and Federal rebate, which equates to time of writing $8,000CDN. It was formerly $10,000CDN. That's $20,000CDN difference between a LR AWD to a SR+. SR+ in Canada is already $55,900 as the starting price! As you know, Canadians don't earn the salary difference in exchange rate so there's extreme barriers to entry into the LR AWD market!

So where I live (Vancouver, BC), the SR and SR+ qualify for Provincial and Federal rebate, which equates to time of writing $8,000CDN. It was formerly $10,000CDN. That's $20,000CDN difference between a LR AWD to a SR+. SR+ in Canada is already $55,900 as the starting price! As you know, Canadians don't earn the salary difference in exchange rate so there's extreme barriers to entry into the LR AWD market!

Same situation for me. Im in Ontario though so we only get a $5000 rebate on the SR+ so the jump from SR+ to LR AWD i seriously just could not justify for what I was getting. If the rebate was there for the LR as well I might have considered it but as it is theres too big of a gap