Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalling or lag off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to race a BMW from a dead stop today and usually when I hit the Acceleration peddle instant torque delivery is there giving me at least one or two seconds advantage. but today multiple times I hit the accelerator down and nothing happened for a long 1.5 seconds causing me to keep losing advantage. My battery was at 102 miles. Could that be reason or is it something else?

Reactions: gcmak
I’ve noticed this type of delay if the “hold” icon is present. I make sure to have my foot lightly on the accelerator ( funny...I almost said “on the gas” ) and ‘hold’ the car in place myself when I know I need max acceleration. I do this for the odd intersection where lateral visibility is limited and cars are jamming at 50+. Try this next time you want to challenge that bimmer.

I’ve noticed this type of delay if the “hold” icon is present. I make sure to have my foot lightly on the accelerator ( funny...I almost said “on the gas” ) and ‘hold’ the car in place myself when I know I need max acceleration. I do this for the odd intersection where lateral visibility is limited and cars are jamming at 50+. Try this next time you want to challenge that bimmer.
Oh. Does that mean disable hold or keep pedal and brake peddle active like a launch? Maybe the car adapts to driving pattern and first time flooring pedal won’t ...?

Try turning off Obstacle Aware Acceleration.
yes. i've noticed this creates a weird buffer in the acceleration very similar to a fuel injection system that starves during an RPM ramp up. i was suspicious of this feature for a while and recently turned it off and the lag has pretty much disappeared.

BTW i have not noticed any lag due to HOLD. i think it's completely unrelated.

I used to have this problem months ago in the middle of summer. It would happen every once in a while from a standstill and I believe it was when I had the A/C on. But yeah, basically there would be complete hesitation for almost a full second before it would take off. Hold was probably on as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Celledral
I used to have this problem months ago in the middle of summer. It would happen every once in a while from a standstill and I believe it was when I had the A/C on. But yeah, basically there would be complete hesitation for almost a full second before it would take off. Hold was probably on as well.

Pretty sure Hold and AC have nothing to do with it - this sounds like obstacles aware acceleration working as designed when the ultrasonics pick up something. If you aren’t convinced, turn the option off for a while and see if it goes away.

Ok I thought it was probably just a one-off event but this happened to me on Friday when I had a car full of people and wanted to show them what it felt like from a dead stop. I wrote it off as it being due to the extra weight in the car but I distinctively remember a delay when I hit the accelerator. It was maybe like 1/4-1/2 second before the car took off. Hopefully this will get resolved.

Oh not familiar with that but sounds logical and like something more important than racing a gas bmw.
Thanks!
yes. i've noticed this creates a weird buffer in the acceleration very similar to a fuel injection system that starves during an RPM ramp up. i was suspicious of this feature for a while and recently turned it off and the lag has pretty much disappeared.

BTW i have not noticed any lag due to HOLD. i think it's completely unrelated.
can you specify where this switch lives? you don’t mean “early warning” do you?

Hold is actually one of the best/only ways to accomplish an accurate 0-60 (or beyond) run.
I will say for the first-time ever, I also noticed this lag/hesitation off the line when trying to do a hard launch/acceleration.
I cannot rule-out "obstacle avoidance acceleration" as I tend to keep the nannies on and sometimes the car does see ghosts...but I really thought something broke haha.

Will continue to monitor. It could be part of a glitch in software. I have 36.2.1. I notice there's a few newer versions very few drivers seem to have in the wild...36.2.2, 36.2.3, 40, and today, seeing 40.1 show up.

Pretty sure Hold and AC have nothing to do with it - this sounds like obstacles aware acceleration working as designed when the ultrasonics pick up something. If you aren’t convinced, turn the option off for a while and see if it goes away.

I had OAA turned off when this would happen so it has nothing to do with that. But the problem went away for me completely in more recent updates.

My ICE car would stall sometimes taking off at a light only when I had the A/C on too so that's why I mentioned that. It does drain significant energy and I was suggesting it could be something related to when that initial power is needed.

I had OAA turned off when this would happen so it has nothing to do with that. But the problem went away for me completely in more recent updates.

My ICE car would stall sometimes taking off at a light only when I had the A/C on too so that's why I mentioned that. It does drain significant energy and I was suggesting it could be something related to when that initial power is needed.

The ICE car is a completely different situation, with idle throttle settings and related issues causing it.

For a Tesla, peak AC loads are 5 or 6 kW - and hard acceleration to 200-500 kW. There’s no way it’ll be an issue.

The only time I’ve ever experienced anything like that was definitely OAA. If you’ve seen something like that while it is disabled you should probably talk to Service, because that should never happen on an EV.

The ICE car is a completely different situation, with idle throttle settings and related issues causing it.

For a Tesla, peak AC loads are 5 or 6 kW - and hard acceleration to 200-500 kW. There’s no way it’ll be an issue.

the AC in the majority of ICE cars is parasitic. the engine has to turn a compressor (among other accessories) using a belt attached to the engine. this does not occur in the Tesla and probably a majority of the BEVs on the road today. the accessory components are electrically driven and should (theoretically) have no impact to the throughput of energy being delivered to the motor(s).

if any accessory were to have a significant impact, it would be far easier to switch on/off the underlying bottlenecks through software or logical switching. with an ICE, you don't have that option. yes you can turn off the draw of current, but the belt ALWAYS engages those accessories. there is inherent loss because they exist.

there are lots of 4-bangers and engine swaps out there that have no power steering or AC because 1. they don't fit or 2. they draw too much energy (or 3., the ECU can't handle the change, but that's a completely different scenario).