Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stamp Duty rebate in NSW & Road User Charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so hopefully it comes into law and is not further negatively amended in the future and all pure EVs can start using any transit lane from Mon 1st Nov
Royal Assent is a procedural formality… the Governor will sign this into law soon. I suspect there’s quite a parliamentary backlog from the 4 month suspension of Parliament that she has to deal with hence the longer than usual delay.

EVs using the Transit lanes from 1 Nov doesn’t require legislation but I think a Regulation. It is not covered by this Bill and shouldn’t be impacted. Only ”zero emission” vehicles will be permitted to use Transit lanes - so plug-in and other types of hybrids are not eligible. It’s the one pure-EV benefit we get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fazza
Just a CAUTION! The link for EV duty redemption is on the Services NSW website, which has a valid certificate. However, it takes you to the "EV Portal" which I have ascertained is NOT a NSW Govt website, although it has the Govt logos etc.

Someone called force.com. They have a valid SSL certificate, but this appears nothing to do with the NSW government.

So, either:

1. The NSW Govt has outsourced this to a third party and all is legit (but VERY BADLY MANAGED and communicated)

or

2. The NSW Govt website has been hacked and they are unaware of it and you are putting in all your details to a thirdparty site, incl driving licence, rego papers, bank account details!

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
No different to how the vaccination hub started up. Originally it was all a jumble of salesforce links. Now at least it's got a proper nsw gov url.

I guess they figured this is only temporary for people who bought between sept and now to claim back duty + 25K rebates.

Victoria's is a "snapform" too.

It’s in Part 2 Division 1 Section 9 of the Bill:

Road user charges payable in relation to certain zero or low emissions vehicles
A road user charge is payable in relation to the following zero or low emissions vehicles—
(a) a zero or low emissions vehicle that—

(i) is registered for the first time on or after the relevant date, or
(ii) after the relevant date, is registered in the name of a person that differs from the person in whose name the vehicle was registered before the relevant date,
(b) a battery electric vehicle or hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle—
(i) that is registered for the first time before the relevant date, and
(ii) in relation to which duty was not paid under the Duties Act 1997, Chapter 9 because of the operation of section 270D of that Act.

Part (a) means the RUC will apply to all ZLEVs registered for the first time after the “relevant date”, or which changes ownership after the “relevant date” but was registered in a different name before the “relevant date”.

Part (b) means the RUC will apply to ZLEVs registered for the first time before the “relevant date” if Duty was not paid. Schedule 3 of this Bill amends the Duties Act to make ZLEVs duty-free between 1 September 2021 and the “relevant date” if they have a dutaible value of less than $68,000. After the “relevant date”, all ZLEVs become duty-free (and therefore subject to the RUC).

Punchline: if Duty has been paid on a ZLEV, then that vehicle is not subject to the RUC.

If a person sells a ZLEV on which Duty has been paid before the “relevant date”, and the sale price is above $68k, then Duty will be payable on the sale as normal, and the vehicle will remain not subject to the RUC.

If a person sells a ZLEV on which Duty has been paid before the “relevant date” but the sale price is below $68k, then no Duty is payable on the sale, but the vehicle will then become subject to the RUC.

If a person sells a ZLEV after the “relevant date” then that vehicle will become subject to the RUC, and Duty will not be payable on the sale, regardless of the sale price.

“Relevant date” means the earlier of:
(a) 1 July 2027,
(b) the date prescribed by the regulations as being the date on which the Minister is reasonably satisfied sales of battery electric vehicles in New South Wales will be 30% of new vehicle sales in New South Wales.

Final note: while this Bill passed both houses on 20 October, it has not yet received Royal Assent, therefore it is not yet law (an “Act”).

This amendment got passed also:

If anyone can confirm it omits below clause or retains it?

(ii) in relation to which duty was not paid under the Duties Act 1997, Chapter 9 because of the operation of section 270D of that Act.

If omitted then RUC will apply come the 'relevant date' to any EV whether duty was paid or not

I'm hoping i am reading it incorrectly :(

But then looking at the nsw website it clearly states it no RUC for any EV not exempt from duty (hopefully this does reflect the true passed legislation and is up to date info on the website)

"EVs that receive a duty exemption will be subject to the RUC after it commences. An EV will not be subject to the RUC if it does not receive a duty exemption. Additionally, all EVs bought after the RUC commences will be exempt from duty and subject to the RUC."

Last edited:
Has anyone had their refund processed? The 15 business day timeframe expired today for those who were quick off the mark and lodged the claim on November 1st. Mine went in on November 3rd, but so far crickets from NSW.gov…