Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard 85 uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No RWDs have been uncorked for owners to my knowledge, although new DU01 drive unit RWDs come uncorked from the factory.
I think we're moving away from the term uncorked here now... if you're talking about an older S85 (pre 2013), you have the ability depending on the hardware to make it a P85.

If you all continue to ask them to "uncork" your older cars, you'll get the same canned responses, as uncorked is a configuration and more about tapping the potential of the existing firmware and DU, and less about changing the entire D/U power mode

I think we're moving away from the term uncorked here now... if you're talking about an older S85 (pre 2013), you have the ability depending on the hardware to make it a P85...
I was answering BIG ACH's question "Do we have actual confirmation that Non-D 75's were uncorked?" The data is pretty clear that what Tesla refers to as uncorking on the AWD is a motor torque and max power limit getting raised as well as a current increase. The torque on the 75 RWD goes from 450Nm to 530Nm and a max power limit from 280kW to 310kW with the new DU01 drive unit at the same time as the first AWD uncorking. I haven't seen any data on possible a RWD battery current increase but it is likely that the 75 battery goes from the rumored 1050A to 1300A as well.

The only S85 sample I have seen is set at 450Nm and 300kW. I don't have any S85+ or SP85+ runlog or CAN bus data on acceleration so I can't comment on how much headroom there is on those cars or whether the SP85 originally had the 1200A battery and whether it got upgraded during its production. If anyone is willing to do a 0-60 or longer runlog I have some gold stars set aside for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud619
I was answering BIG ACH's question "Do we have actual confirmation that Non-D 75's were uncorked?" The data is pretty clear that what Tesla refers to as uncorking on the AWD is a motor torque and max power limit getting raised as well as a current increase. The torque on the 75 RWD goes from 450Nm to 530Nm and a max power limit from 280kW to 310kW with the new DU01 drive unit at the same time as the first AWD uncorking. I haven't seen any data on possible a RWD battery current increase but it is likely that the 75 battery goes from the rumored 1050A to 1300A as well.

The only S85 sample I have seen is set at 450Nm and 300kW. I don't have any S85+ or SP85+ runlog or CAN bus data on acceleration so I can't comment on how much headroom there is on those cars or whether the SP85 originally had the 1200A battery and whether it got upgraded during its production. If anyone is willing to do a 0-60 or longer runlog I have some gold stars set aside for them.

Sorry i didnt meant to direct it at you, it was more general. I'm happy to put my numbers up, but not sure how to get them in a format you're looking for (s, P85)

All original 85's can be upgraded to P85 as they had the larger motor. Look on the Tesla website for used inventory. Every 85 you see for sale is now a P85. Nearly all 85's Tesla has taken as a trade in has been upgraded to P85 before being resold. Smart marketing on Tesla's part. For a simple software update, that takes a matter of minutes for Tesla to do, they are now able to sell the used car for many thousands more as it is a P85 rather than a 85. Not sure if the same goes for dual motor cars or other battery sizes but again most on the preowned site seem to have been upgraded to a P.

All original 85's can be upgraded to P85 as they had the larger motor. Look on the Tesla website for used inventory. Every 85 you see for sale is now a P85. Nearly all 85's Tesla has taken as a trade in has been upgraded to P85 before being resold. Smart marketing on Tesla's part. For a simple software update, that takes a matter of minutes for Tesla to do, they are now able to sell the used car for many thousands more as it is a P85 rather than a 85. Not sure if the same goes for dual motor cars or other battery sizes but again most on the preowned site seem to have been upgraded to a P.

Wait I thought there was a high performance inverter added? Wasn't this the primary differentiater between the P and the Non-P?

Reactions: JohnnyG
I just looked on their website... and there are many non-P/D 85s (Both US and my local used inventory)

On the entire Canadian website there are two 90D and one 75D that have not been upgraded to a P. Every other car has been upgraded including all 85's. I'm sure some of them were a P to begin with but definitely not all of them. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. But keeping on the topic of this thread it is an easy software upgrade for Tesla to do this on 85's

Steinwand said:

Do they change the VIN?

Digit #8:

1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
3 = Performance Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction

VIN's never change on a vehicle. (Very rare exceptions like salvage vehicles) I know what you are getting at that the VIN would describe it for example as a non P vehicle. If you think about it like with and ICE vehicle, if you change your motor, for example, from a 350 cu in to a 400 cu in, the VIN stays the same. Same if you repaint it and change the colour. The VIN stays the same.

Reactions: Cloud619
VIN's never change on a vehicle. (Very rare exceptions like salvage vehicles) I know what you are getting at that the VIN would describe it for example as a non P vehicle. If you think about it like with and ICE vehicle, if you change your motor, for example, from a 350 cu in to a 400 cu in, the VIN stays the same. Same if you repaint it and change the colour. The VIN stays the same.
But it would mean that you can tell if it started it's life as a P or non-P by the VIN number... thus proofing your theory

EDIT: However according to the VIN Decoder on TeslaTap
1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
(Standard or Performance prior to 1-Aug-2015;
Standard only starting 1-Aug-2015)

So prior to this date... you can't tell

Soooooo... if we know the S85 Drive unit could potentially handle it? Why do we think Tesla is holding back? Is it because they don't want to step on the toes of those who purchased the P85's? Because that didn't seem to matter when they uncorked the 75D's (vs the 90D's)

Soooooo... if we know the S85 Drive unit could potentially handle it? Why do we think Tesla is holding back? Is it because they don't want to step on the toes of those who purchased the P85's? Because that didn't seem to matter when they uncorked the 75D's (vs the 90D's)
Has to do with your packfuse and battery pack as well. Would result in potentially increased degradation as well. I've said it elsewhere a few times already but there is speculation that S85s are capable of P85 frequencies, but are tuned down due to defects or issues... like a video card or cpu chip. No evidence on this, just something else that happens in the market that could also happen here.

My service manger told me it was basically the fuse in the pack as well. That's pretty much it.. I didn't think the packs would be different from the P and reg 85s? Seems like a pain from the manufacturing perspective..Is there a different part number?

That is some wild speculation.
It has never been proofed. Maybe Ingeneer or WK wanna join in?