Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Battery should be available in 6-9 months. Will it require premium interior ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. Tesla is going to make me make a hard and potentially stupid financial decision. If they never make an SR version I likely will not be able to get a 3 (for a long while at least - probably 5 to 10 years) because i will have played he waiting game and lost out on tax credits. The LR really is too expensive for us right now but it will be completely out of reach without the tax credits if we learn there will be no SR battery in 6-9 months.

Ugh is about how I feel as well. $49 + $1 - $7,500 now (assuming a new configuration would still be delivered before 12/31). Or $35 + 1 +5 -0 later. Like some others said I'd rather have purchased $35 +1 + EAP + FSD - 7,500. Not that that has been a reality for the past six months.

Ugh is about how I feel as well. $49 + $1 - $7,500 now (assuming a new configuration would still be delivered before 12/31). Or $35 + 1 +5 -0 later. Like some others said I'd rather have purchased $35 +1 + EAP + FSD - 7,500. Not that that has been a reality for the past six months.

Keep in mind, the tax credit doesn't vanish on 12/31/18. It goes to half for the first half of next year, then one quarter for the second half. It vanishes on 12/31/19.

Keep in mind, the tax credit doesn't vanish on 12/31/18. It goes to half for the first half of next year, then one quarter for the second half. It vanishes on 12/31/19.

Yep. It is possible I could get the configuration I'm most interested in during Q3/Q4 next year. The Benz just turned 16. With the new tires and wipers it should be good for another year. It's getting old just like me... but still kicking. LOL.

It’s all about margin. All. Disruptive change is an Elon Musk red herring to divert attention away from margins. Interiors, wheels, software, etc. are all sub assemblies. There’s nothing disruptive, as they are kitted and carted to the line from another area or kitted by a JIT external vendor. Paint color? Sure, when your paint line is inefficient and changeovers are time consuming/difficult.

I said it a year ago, and I’ll double down. A $35,000 Model 3 will never be delivered to anyone, anywhere, ever. $41,000, probably. I don’t think $35,000 will yield even a single digit margin. It may not break even with the cluster that is their manufacturing platform.

The anti-selling has begun. Mention of a $35,000 Model is being / has been scrubbed from the website.

It’s foolish to wait based solely on something Musk said. He’s like the date that may or may not show up.....
No need to take Elon's word for gospel.
I think they'll make it eventually, but really it's a $36K car in my book. And once well over 5,000/week, it should bring in good money. There are not so many parts to the car. Robot assembles the pack. Once all developed, it can't be a very expensive car to build. And I doubt they are putting in more man hours than BMW into a similar 3-series car.
Also, it being delayed a year by the time it arrives, really some inflation should be added to the price.

Remember that by the time the $36K hits, the pack will be approaching $6K at the pack level. The rest of the materials are not so premium. Hardly any buttons or switches.

I think the Model S need a re-do. All the lessons learned from Model 3/Y to cut costs and boost production throughput. And a $100/kWh at pack level, imagine how insignificant that is on the whole car. Some subtle luxury touches. Margin will then allow to undercut whatever others will bring to the segment. Two Model 3 rear motors for low consumption, still good power in base Model S. And more scale benefits.

Last edited:
Good news would be that the LR option is reduced to just $4-5K. Ain't that great, what a deal! Still $45K out of pocket though, so $41K indeed for the SR version that really needs to be inflation/reality corrected being so low margin.

SR model still mentioned but the price tag of 35,000 gone...

As was pointed out to you by someone else:

Press Kit | Tesla

Tesla said:
Model 3 is designed to achieve the highest safety ratings in every category. Combined with 220* to 310 miles of range and a starting price of $35,000 before incentives, Model 3 is Tesla’s most affordable vehicle yet.

As well as removing the option to select that you are waiting for the Base model and/or Standard Battery, they also removed the option to select that you are waiting for the white interior. By your logic that means that Tesla is never going to release the white interior.

Last edited:
If not already calculated, make sure you are factoring in your TCO along with that extra $170/month. In Ontario, Canada our incentive just went from $14k to zero for Tesla's while all other EV's are allowed 2 more months to claim. So if it were me, I'd be grabbing that $7500 while you can.