Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR+ has a tested range of ~184 miles at highway speed.
That would be at ~63 mph:
mph_miles.jpg

Bob Wilson

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
It also should be noted that the 247 mile value is almost certainly JUST city driving. Based on the EPA's data of 124 miles per gallon at highway speed, and one gallon being 33.7kWh, that means the SR+ has a tested range of ~184 miles at highway speed. (based on a 50kWh usable battery)
No, not at all. These are industry standard tests done by Tesla that meet the EPA requirements and are defined in SAE 1634. Here's more info on the testing: Detailed Test Information

The 247 mi result is with an SR+ on aero wheels doing the standardized test regimen.

No, not at all. These are industry standard tests done by Tesla that meet the EPA requirements and are defined in SAE 1634. Here's more info on the testing: Detailed Test Information

The 247 mi result is with an SR+ on aero wheels doing the standardized test regimen.

Average speed of 21 mph! That makes a lot of sense. I often see ~160 watt/mile when I'm down at those speeds (been using residential side streets since they've been repaving the main roads and I don't want tar on my Model 3.) At 160 watt/mile my SR+ would be able to do over 300 miles :p

The 48 mph "highway" is just stupid. Maybe they're trying to recreate a LA freeway or something, but I would rather see a cruise somewhere between 65 and 75 mph for the highway speeds. I think most American's think of highway as a road trip on an interstate for a couple hundred miles. I probably could get near 240 or 250 at ~50 mph so that makes sense there too.

Average speed of 21 mph! That makes a lot of sense. I often see ~160 watt/mile when I'm down at those speeds (been using residential side streets since they've been repaving the main roads and I don't want tar on my Model 3.) At 160 watt/mile my SR+ would be able to do over 300 miles :p

The 48 mph "highway" is just stupid. Maybe they're trying to recreate a LA freeway or something, but I would rather see a cruise somewhere between 65 and 75 mph for the highway speeds. I think most American's think of highway as a road trip on an interstate for a couple hundred miles. I probably could get near 240 or 250 at ~50 mph so that makes sense there too.

The average of the city and highway are typically derated by a factor of 0.7. This is the relevant section from the EPA docs at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf

Electric Vehicle - Adjustment Procedure used to Derive FE Label (Window Sticker) Estimates - EPA
regulations require fuel economy, energy consumption, CO2 and driving range values listed on the FE Label
(window sticker) to be adjusted to more accurately reflect the values that customers can expect to achieve in the
real world. EPA currently allows fuel economy, energy consumption, CO2 values, and range values listed on the
FE Label (window sticker) for electric vehicles to be adjusted using one of the following methods:1

- by multiplying city/highway fuel economy and range values by 0.7 and dividing city/highway energy
consumption and CO2 values by 0.7;
- using the derived 5-cycle method described in 40 CFR 600.210-12(a)(2) and EPA guidance letter CD-15-
15, June 22, 2015 (available at Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change | US EPA
- using a method which is equivalent to the vehicle specific 5-cycle method described in 40 CFR 600.210-
12(a)(1) (with prior EPA approval) such as the method provided in Appendix B of SAE J1634 July 2017
Recommended Practice;
- using adjustment factors which are based on in-use data (with prior EPA approval).
Currently, most EVs use the first or third method (the 0.7 factor).

Model 3 SR+ officially upgraded to 170kW Supercharging with 2019.36.1.

Source: 170 kw max supercharging -- Now on SR+ with 2019.36.1 : TeslaLounge

That’s amazing. I think that’s almost exactly what we’ve been calculating here. I think 168kW is about what everyone estimated SR+ should be able to do on V3 and of course maxing V2 at 140 to 145kW. It’ll be REALLY interesting if it’s able to maintain that peak along the same curve as it’s software limited 100kW (basically 5-55% SOC) or if the taper starts much sooner...

I look forward to data from here and a ABetterRoutePlanner...

It’ll be REALLY interesting if it’s able to maintain that peak along the same curve as it’s software limited 100kW (basically 5-55% SOC) or if the taper starts much sooner...
The taper will be the same profile (knocked down for equivalent c-rate) as the LR batteries. The initial taper point will be at about 25% SOC under ideal conditions.

Here's a chart repeated from higher in this thread:

20190705-3sr-chrg-png.426779

• Informative
Reactions: matija
The taper will be the same profile (knocked down for equivalent c-rate) as the LR batteries. The initial taper point will be at about 25% SOC under ideal conditions.

Here's a chart repeated from higher in this thread:

20190705-3sr-chrg-png.426779

That profile on V2 looks like it’ll shave about 4 minutes off from ~4% to 52% SOC. 24kWh in about 10 min 30 seconds compared to the current ~14 min 20 seconds. That’s a pretty nice improvement for just a software update!

V3 doesn’t seem to offer much of an advantage since it looks like the same range would be roughly 9 min 50 seconds... so a 40 second faster charge...

• Informative
Reactions: matija
I thought the same, that tesla's release notes did not repeat already deployed updates. However, my car went (yesterday) straight from 2019.12.2 to 2019.36.2.1 and there was no mention of 170kW peak.

I'm guessing they pulled it back, temporarily due to the fact that my car never displayed a note regarding new 170kW peak. Thus, me as a user never got that info from Tesla. Let's wait and see, Christmas probably.

I thought the same, that tesla's release notes did not repeat already deployed updates. However, my car went (yesterday) straight from 2019.12.2 to 2019.36.2.1 and there was no mention of 170kW peak.

I'm guessing they pulled it back, temporarily due to the fact that my car never displayed a note regarding new 170kW peak. Thus, me as a user never got that info from Tesla. Let's wait and see, Christmas probably.

Did you try it? Like I mentioned above, LR owners never got a release note saying 250kW V3 charging was now supported. It was only in an early access build.

Did you try it? Like I mentioned above, LR owners never got a release note saying 250kW V3 charging was now supported. It was only in an early access build.

Several people around the forum with 2019.36.2.1 have tried Supercharging their SR+ and have found the 100 kW cap is still in place, unfortunately. One guy on Reddit even tried it on a V3 and still only got 100 kW.

They've pulled the 170 kW since 2019.36.1, hopefully they fix whatever the problem was and bring it back soon!