Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink for home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone recently purchased and set up Starlink for home? I see both Home Depot and Costco are offering the home version for $599 and $120 a month for service.
Are you pleased? Easy enough for a 70 year old with marginal tech skills? If you have, comments and impressions appreciated.

EXTREMELY EASY.
Go for it:
Plug in;
Turn on;
Download Starlink app;
Use the wifi that the Starlink device pops up.
Couldn't be easier
Very fast
A bit of latency but only noticed when gaming.

I have been using it in a rental but it's a bit pricey here compared to fibre

As a elated question - Can you take the hardware with you if you move to a different location/state?
You either need to convert to the mobile offering, or do a change of address (which is only possible if the new location is not saturated).

You can generally move to mobile/roaming, and then convert to the new address once/if capacity becomes available.

---

I am going to make the argument that if you have access to decent, reliable, high speed internet via other means, StarLink is not really for you at this time.

StarLink latency is higher than either Cable or Fiber, and may be higher than fixed point to multipoint wireless (WISP), and is also higher than fixed 5G installs

StarLink bandwidth is lower (Especially when in congested areas during prime time) vs any of the other above alternatives, and may even be lower than some forms of DSL (ie non-bonded ADSL; VDSL, VDSL2 and G.Faster are higher bandwidth than StarLink).

Capacity upgrades to the most part are simpler in Fiber and Cable than for StarLink, but the number of StarLink Satellites being launched up does help in general once they are participating in the network.

StarLink in general is best in either rural areas, as available bandwidth directly relates to the number of subscribers in a given area, and locations where you really have no other option.

StarLink with the roaming option that can be activated and deactivated service wise month by month is great for people who go camping, RVing, Boating, etc.

A friend of mine used to live ~2,000 linear feet (cable path) from Comcast's network, and they quoted $22,000 to build out to his house so that he could become a paying customer. ADSL service at his location was 3Mbit down, 640Kbit up. StarLink would be perfect for him.

In some cases I would even take Tmobile or Verizon fixed point 5G services over StarLink where available as an unlimitted service.

-Harry

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess we all made the assumption that the OP had really bad Internet service, which may or may not be true. One of the problems with Starlink is that you need to have an unobstructed view of the northern sky. The entire northern sky, down to like 20 degrees from the horizon. So that usually means a roof mount with no trees nearby. If you have some other wireline Internet that gives you 100 Mbps or better of service, that will be be better.

But if you are getting by on old DSL, wireless Internet, really crappy cable TV (as not Cox or Spectrum), then Starlink would be better.

Reactions: hmcgregoraz
Yeah, I guess we all made the assumption that the OP had really bad Internet service, which may or may not be true. One of the problems with Starlink is that you need to have an unobstructed view of the northern sky. The entire northern sky, down to like 20 degrees from the horizon. So that usually means a roof mount with no trees nearby. If you have some other wireline Internet that gives you 100 Mbps or better of service, that will be be better.

But if you are getting by on old DSL, wireless Internet, really crappy cable TV (as not Cox or Spectrum), then Starlink would be better.
Do you think Starlink is a better option than DirecTV Satellite?

Do you think Starlink is a better option than DirecTV Satellite?
So Starlink is an Internet replacement, not a DirecTV/cable replacement.

How do you get your Internet (some people refer to it as WiFi) now?

If you have a stable high bandwidth Internet connection, then you can replace DirecTV with various streaming services. I did that a few years ago, and am now using YouTube TV to watch linear TV (not to be confused with YouTube … different service), and am subscribed to Netflix, Espn+ and a few other streaming services. it isn’t as easy to use as DirecTV, there are pluses and minuses.

Reactions: OldPro