Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starship Orbital Prototype - Texas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to hear Elon explain the reasons for doing that!
Quoting some of the good info Elon recently shared on Twitter. "Both sites will make many Starships. This is a competition to see which location is most effective. Answer might be both." I like Elon's motivational approach, particularly by issuing this cooperative challenge, "Any insights gained by one team must be shared with the other, but other team not required to use them."

I find that to be a very surprising development. Would love to hear Elon explain the reasons for doing that! Seems like an expensive approach.

I think this is from being in Silicon Valley and Elon's coding days. You get a bunch of coders together and push through to a goal. It's cooperative and competitive at the same time.

Reactions: dhanson865
Fair enough. But I think unheard of in the rocket business. o_O
It started in fact long time ago, in particular with IBM, to have at least two suppliers or development teams for the same product.

Same idea with Gigafactory 3 site in Shanghai competing against Fremont and Sparks Gigafactory 1.

Note: You can even go back to the WWII Willys MB and Ford GPW Jeeps, or GMC and Dodges trucks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Note I said “ unheard of in the rocket business”. Unless IBM builds rockets... ;)
It started in fact long time ago, in particular with IBM, to have at least two suppliers or development teams for the same product.

Same idea with Gigafactory 3 site in Shanghai competing against Fremont and Sparks Gigafactory 1.

Note: You can even go back to the WWII Willys MB and Ford GPW Jeeps, or GMC and Dodges trucks.

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal and Nikxice
IBM did build parts of rockets for the Saturn V. Also they built the bomb sites for B17 (IIRC) in WWII
I don’t know what bomb sights have to do with this discussion, and I concede that IBM provided guidance computers for the Saturn V (see IBM100 - The Apollo Missions ) but that is unrelated to my point: it is unheard of for a rocket company to have two independent teams simultaneously building the same complete vehicle design in two separate locations.

IBM did build parts of rockets for the Saturn V. Also they built the bomb sites for B17 (IIRC) in WWII
I don’t know what bomb sights have to do with this discussion, and I concede that IBM provided guidance computers for the Saturn V (see IBM100 - The Apollo Missions ) but that is unrelated to my point: it is unheard of for a rocket company to have two independent teams simultaneously building the same complete vehicle design in two separate locations.
Just to settle this discussion, it might be helpful to cite sources of information.:p

Reactions: A2be
it is unheard of for a rocket company to have two independent teams simultaneously building the same complete vehicle design in two separate locations.

Very true, though that's less a rocket thing than the reality of manufacturing complex systems in very low volume. With most complex gizmos, its simply not financially practical to have two separate facilities, each with their own full set of capital equipment, each with their own set of trained operators, etc. Even most [American] rocket companies have just one team to service their east coast and west coast launch sites.

What's most interesting about this competition is that it suggests a) they don't actually know how they really want to build it, and b) Starship is going to be fairly light on capital equipment (tooling, GSE, etc.) for the final assembly.

The closest thing in the space industry is probably one web, where there's one production line in Toulouse and two lines in Florida. Though...near as I remember the two lines in Florida are going to build the volume (the Toulouse line was more of a development exercise that they're going to use to build different spacecraft based on the oneweb bus.

Expanding to Aerospace as a whole, B and A have final assembly lines around the world and, at least in a conversation I had with one of the guys leading the A320 plant in Alabama a few years ago, it does sound like a legitimate competition with the other equivalent lines around the world, where each is allowed to develop their own nuances to the overall production process.

What's most interesting about this competition is that it suggests a) they don't actually know how they really want to build it, and b) Starship is going to be fairly light on capital equipment (tooling, GSE, etc.) for the final assembly.
Your first point seems likely true, and I certainly hope your second point is true because Starship development costs may be difficult to recoup.

Reactions: Grendal and bxr140
To be fair, the IBM built Saturn I-B/V Instrument Unit was slightly more than guidance computers. The IU was a load bearing part of the rocket that sat on top of the S-IVB third stage and supported the mass of the Apollo spacecraft, service module, and LM above. But you're right, I can't recall anyone building the same complete launch vehicle in two different locations at the same time.

• Informative
OWTP starting to look good!
Mary on Twitter

D-zxj7fWsAA3jS2

• Funny
Reactions: tomot
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and HVM