Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some real thin skin here. I've read many articles about long trips in Teslas. It sounds like pure hell. No thanks. I'll take an ICE car for that. By your measure, Teslas are toy cars too.

Your life, your money, your choice.

Personally, I like Tesla roadtrips a lot more than I liked roadtrips in my prior cars (and I took quite a few of them back then, too, but I'm taking more with the X.)

We did a 1,600 mile round trip for spring break in our model S - family of 6! (We have the jump seats) Best road trip ever. Ate meals while supercharging. Stayed a night in a hotel with a Tesla charger on the way down and drove straight through on the way back. Also - if it were ICE my wife would have had to do 1/4 to 1/2 of the driving - because of autopilot (less fatigue) I did 100% of the driving both ways. Also - just clicked over 50k miles on the odometer in 15 months. Without the supercharger network I would never be able to use this car for long trips or as my daily driver for a traveling sales role.

The charging infrastructure is overlooked by so many....that is Tesla’s ace in the hole.

Some real thin skin here. I've read many articles about long trips in Teslas. It sounds like pure hell. No thanks. I'll take an ICE car for that. By your measure, Teslas are toy cars too.
Where? My family of 7 had a great long distance trip.
We did a 1,600 mile round trip for spring break in our model S - family of 6! (We have the jump seats) Best road trip ever. Ate meals while supercharging. Stayed a night in a hotel with a Tesla charger on the way down and drove straight through on the way back. Also - if it were ICE my wife would have had to do 1/4 to 1/2 of the driving - because of autopilot (less fatigue) I did 100% of the driving both ways. Also - just clicked over 50k miles on the odometer in 15 months. Without the supercharger network I would never be able to use this car for long trips or as my daily driver for a traveling sales role.

The charging infrastructure is overlooked by so many....that is Tesla’s ace in the hole.

Agree! Our X road trip was great from VA to FL and back (return trip we branched off to Myrtle Beach) with 6 to 7 of us. Loved having the autopilot to help cut fatigue as I had to drive 8+ hours to meet up with my husband. That used to drain me! At each stop, the car was ready to go before we were, so it was really no inconvenience to recharge. I guess your experience depends on your temperament and how bent out of shape you get having to stop. Maybe Tesla just fits our style. ;)

Reactions: Evoforce
I've read of frustrating Tesla trips on Edmunds and Jalopnik as well as other places, if memory serves.

You can find negative views and positive views of almost anything. You may not like the idea of taking a long trip in a Tesla, but I've heard of many people who enjoy doing just that. Some people right here on this thread in fact!

Oh, I get that. My ideas of good car trips are to arrive ASAP, which means not having to wait to charge, or to take my time exploring every nook and cranny, which means not sticking to a still-massively-inadequate charging network. Short of most every parking lot having many chargers, I just don't see adequacy. Things are such a mess right now. I know four places that we drive somewhat often that have chargers. One of them is on the network we use, it's an L2, not an L3, and the space is not EV only so it's usually filled. Another is an L2, but it's the wrong network. The third is L3 and L2, both on the wrong network. The fourth is a supercharger. We've had EVs for five years now and not once have we used an L3 charger. The supercharger network may be better than the other charging networks, but it's still crap.

Tesla definitely has a better / stronger / larger charging network. However, having all of the accounts for the other networks (in the US) ChargePoint, EvGo are the two really bigs ones are not all that hard. You can set up your account and authorize using your phone in just minutes. When going on a road trip, many people will plan their route with different software setups, the Tesla one, and others to make sure they have the best route using all available chargers.

G.

It's not surprising that Jaguar, which has made what looks to be a pretty good EV SUV, shows it racing a Model X 100D and not an ICE. They don't want to make their ICE look bad.

From the specs, the I-Pace is almost a second faster 0-60 than its ICE cousin, the F-Pace. I would really like to see a 1/4 mile drag race between an I-Pace and an F-Pace. That might get some attention.

- Cramped compact interior

Having sat in one, I can agree with that comment. It felt claustrophobic compared to the MX. Other reviews have described it as an "enclosed, sporty" driving position, but that's not really what I want from a large family car. The iPace luggage space is pretty marginal too and no match an MX when it comes to hauling your *sugar* around. I'll stick with the open airy feel of the MX with it's panoramic windscreen and plenty of luggage space/extra seat row thanks!

Reactions: arubinst
I-PaceVModX-chargeCurve.png
Bjorn busts the iPace rapid charging... Only 84kW
Jaguar I-PACE Tested At 350 kW Ultra-Fast Charger
Yep, currently there's a 200A limit.
Here's a charge curve of an I-Pace with the 200A limit, compared with a Model X (I think it's a 90D). It's from the video Tiger posted.

There was a bug in CCS which seems to have been tracked down by BMW, Audi, Jag and the charger manufacturers. The charger network operators are currently rolling out the bug-fix to their chargers. All Jags got a charging bug-fix before being delivered to customers - I suspect they are related. I also suspect this has delayed the 100kW update.

The hardware is rated at somewhere between 110 and 120kW. At some point, there will likely be an OTA to unlock that. I reckon it will prove to be 117kW, and the OTA won't be released for about 10 to 12 months.

Are you kidding? You just made me laugh so hard I spit up my drink! I am currently immersed in 6500 plus mile trip. Nothing nicer than a Tesla for that IMO! Sounds like you are wanting to listen to some inexperienced chuckleheads.

Reactions: 1375mlm
For fun, decided to configure an iPace for hell of it.

Holy batman is configuring this thing convoluted.

I can sort of -maybe- do something avant garde and be "special" but the inability to supercharge this hot mess makes it a suicidal purchase IMO.

upload_2019-2-17_11-40-52.png

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm