Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct and my point is that driving on roads should come with a price signal to say that using roads in a car has ac cost to the community.
The cost to the community isn't measured by the kilometres driven, rather the location where the car is hogging space. Get rid of the EV tax and replace it with a punitive tax on parking spaces in certain areas and/or a progressively more expensive set of cordons around certain parts of our inner cities.

Places that are car-oriented by design, including ~6-7 million sq.km of regional and remote areas, should never have a per-km tax.

Or number of axles, or tare weight. These are just adjustments if you like to make a RUC more indicative of road use - more axles, more powerful cars, heavier vehicles.
Only above a weight threshold where damage to pavement is a likely outcome of using that vehicle on a typical road.

Thats the problem. Current Govt policies incentivise private car ownership rather than measures which reduce congestion and efficient use of resources.
The USA is a perfect example of an overbalance in private car ownership
Not that there's anything wrong with that. People there can choose to gentrify their inner cities, or to avoid them.

Though you'll find there are certain socioeconomic factors at play that encourage people to actively avoid walkable neighbourhoods there. That will never change. Best you can do is move the social problems elsewhere as you gentrify the areas with walkability potential.

The cost to the community isn't measured by the kilometres driven
It can be. A per km is a relatively easy way to measure road usage. +/- adjustments - see below
Get rid of the EV tax and replace it with a punitive tax on parking spaces in certain areas
Or both
Only above a weight threshold where damage to pavement is a likely outcome
As I said above: a per km with adjustment for tare, axles. Maybe add in adjustments for vehicle power to weight, regional vs urban etc etc etc
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Or perhaps there is something significantly wrong with that

And the state with the least sales of EVs is guess where? VIC

Except that’s not true.

In the most recent quarter (2023 Q2) the state rankings in terms of BEV as a percentage of all new light vehicle sales is as follows:
  1. ACT - 21.3%
  2. TAS - 10.0%
  3. VIC - 9.7%
  4. NSW - 8.7%
  5. WA - 7.9%
  6. QLD - 7.4%
  7. SA - 7.0%
  8. NT - 2.3%
Across the most recent four quarters (i.e. a full 12 months):
  1. ACT - 15.7%
  2. NSW - 6.6%
  3. VIC - 6.5%
  4. TAS - 6.1%
  5. WA - 5.8%
  6. QLD - 5.7%
  7. SA - 4.5%
  8. NT - 1.6%

• Informative
Reactions: cafz and paulp
The cost to the community isn't measured by the kilometres driven, rather the location where the car is hogging space. Get rid of the EV tax and replace it with a punitive tax on parking spaces in certain areas and/or a progressively more expensive set of cordons around certain parts of our inner cities.

Places that are car-oriented by design, including ~6-7 million sq.km of regional and remote areas, should never have a per-km tax.

Only above a weight threshold where damage to pavement is a likely outcome of using that vehicle on a typical road.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. People there can choose to gentrify their inner cities, or to avoid them.

Though you'll find there are certain socioeconomic factors at play that encourage people to actively avoid walkable neighbourhoods there. That will never change. Best you can do is move the social problems elsewhere as you gentrify the areas with walkability potential.
The problem with carpark tax is the unplanned consequences. Adelaide City Council control most carparking in the cbd, especially around the shopping precinct. There has been a large shift of shopping away from the cbd to the suburbs, with most claiming its the cost of parking (adelaide is very car-centric). So adding a tax to cbd parking would likely cause major retail failures, so a less dynamic city. Sure you could also tax suburban carparks, but that would then clog surrounding streets and encourage more online shopping, so destruction of jobs. A per km charge seems to have a lot less unintended consequences

Except that’s not true.

In the most recent quarter (2023 Q2) the state rankings in terms of BEV as a percentage of all new light vehicle sales is as follows:
  1. ACT - 21.3%
  2. TAS - 10.0%
  3. VIC - 9.7%
  4. NSW - 8.7%
  5. WA - 7.9%
  6. QLD - 7.4%
  7. SA - 7.0%
  8. NT - 2.3%
Across the most recent four quarters (i.e. a full 12 months):
  1. ACT - 15.7%
  2. NSW - 6.6%
  3. VIC - 6.5%
  4. TAS - 6.1%
  5. WA - 5.8%
  6. QLD - 5.7%
  7. SA - 4.5%
  8. NT - 1.6%

Of course our recent quarter had a spike, it was just before our incentives was pulled.

I would say your figures proves my point...our 12 mths average is 6.5% however our last quarter, just before incentives got pulled, spiked up over 3% (so incentives do work and extra taxes do the opposite)...so lets see in the next quarter/year. I think VIC will drop to less than 5% (and SA will go up)...I said state not territory (so ACT, NAT can be ignored).

Of course our recent quarter had a spike, it was just before our incentives was pulled.

I would say your figures proves my point...our 12 mths average is 6.5% however our last quarter, just before incentives got pulled, spiked up over 3% (so incentives do work and extra taxes do the opposite)...so lets see in the next quarter/year. I think VIC will drop to less than 5% (and SA will go up)...I said state not territory (so ACT, NAT can be ignored).
I also think EV sales are gaining traction so rapidly that an annual percentage is not going to give a true growth representation in any state. There are noticably more ev’s in Adelaide now, including two model 3’s this week who decided on a drag race from the lights, straight into the fixed speed camera 200m away. At least they are making an indirect contribution to the roads.

I don't live in inner city. We are semirural and have 6 cars - 5 ICE. Our household collectively drive collectively about 150,000km per year. A road usage tax would affect us by about circa $4000 pa if all vehicles paid the Tax.

I don't live in inner city. We are semirural and have 6 cars - 5 ICE. Our household collectively drive collectively about 150,000km per year. A road usage tax would affect us by about circa $4000 pa if all vehicles paid the Tax.

Have you worked out how much fuel levy you pay? Interesting to see if on a tax basis you are better or worse off with the proposed nsw ev per km tax

Have you worked out how much fuel levy you pay
Approx 13,000 litres of diesel based on combined average fuel economy and distance travelled
@ $0.442 /L fuel excise

$5746

EV RUC 150,000km @ $0.026 = $3900

I would be slightly better off by about $1846 in terms of EV RUC if all the 6 cars are EV
But a lot better off if ICE are charged fuel excise AND equivalent RUC

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: paulp
Incorrect. Power isn't free. Power is taxed.
Ok yes but here are the calculations

20,000 km per year.
Tesla says 11kWh = 70km. Let's say it's 65km
20,000 km / 65 = 307
307 x 11 = 3384 kWh per year (amount of electricity per year to cover 20,000km)

Let's say there is no solar and you overnight charge using 20c per kWh (GST inclusive)
3384 x 0.2 = $676

The GST component is $676/11 = $61

20,000 km @ 8L/100 km = 1600L per year
Fuel excise cost= 1600 x 0.442 = $707
Add in GST for fuel. Let's say fuel is $1.8 per litre
1600 x 1.8 /11 = $261
Combined fuel excise + GST = $968

So ICE pays $900 per year more

If EV had the $0.026 road user charge
20,000km x 0.026 = $530

$900 - $530 = $370
Even with EV road users charge the ICE is still paying $370 more per year

Ok yes but here are the calculations

I'm all for getting rid of the fuel excise.

Just add something like a carbon tax. Impacts both ICE's and EV's whether running off oil or coal.

Bonus should be a drive for cleaner fuels for both ICE and EV's. Great for the environment!

Oh, I think 20c is way to cheap. 36c here (no offpeak except hot water), I think 30-35c (almost double) might be better average .. particularly accounting for the 50-70c charges of public charging.

As an aside, using the Vic government's logic .. why doesn't the RUC capture modified diesel engines running off cooking oil or other bio products? They're getting a free ride. Totally unfair.